Major QM2 interior refit 2016

QM1

Image of the hull being repainted was posted last night.

I am aware the state of the hull paintwork is inconsequential with regard to the standard of enjoyment once on board the ship, but seeing this photo of the repainting gives me great pleasure as l've found the external appearance such a depressing disappointment in recent times and almost an insult to a vessel of such status.

One element of the "remastering" l shall definitely celebrate.

M-AR

I am aware the state of the hull paintwork is inconsequential with regard to the standard of enjoyment once on board the ship, but seeing this photo of the repainting gives me great pleasure as l've found the external appearance such a depressing disappointment in recent times and almost an insult to a vessel of such status.

One element of the "remastering" l shall definitely celebrate.

M-AR

To Cunard's credit - it's incredibly difficult to keep a black/dark blue hull looking pristine for long when plying the Atlantic many times.

Look at HAL for instance, in port stops they are nearly always painting the hull yet with QM2 they don't have that luxury for a good chunk of the year while crossing.

Not making an excuse (I've yet to sail Cunard, though we're taking a crossing in 2018) but I can cut lines some slack on exterior rust/wear maybe moreso than others.

I saw in a previous post that the sheltered balcony rooms on deck 5 will not be refit at this time ( bummer) but will be by 2017. Has anyone found an estimated time frame for the rest of the ship? I'm sailing Sept 8 in a Deck 5 midship room, just curious as to what I will find. If no one knows, I will post once I return.

Kind of surprised they are not sand blasting it down first. Looks like they are just painting over the old paint.

Actually they did. An earlier image showed the formerly algae encrusted bow bulb stripped shiny bright, and the anti-fouling treatments here.

Also a new image of the former Winter Garden gutted out.

Actually they did. An earlier image showed the formerly algae encrusted bow bulb stripped shiny bright, and the anti-fouling treatments here.

Thanks for the info. I'm assuming that is only for the underwater portion of the hull? Doesn't look like the entire hull and superstructure is being stripped down ... just painting over for the rest. At least it's being painted. It was looking quite dull and patched.

Also a new image of the former Winter Garden gutted out.

I know many may flame me for this, but I will kind of miss the winter garden!

It was not the best use of space for sure, but there was this sort of Victorian-era kitschiness about the space. It reminded me of times of old, when the aristocracy would have conservatories and orangeries in their homes.

I've only sailed on QM2 once [so far] so am in no position to reminisce deeply like some others on this thread but I still think the winter garden got a bad wrap. Is the one on QV staying?

Edited by Bostonjetset

I saw in a previous post that the sheltered balcony rooms on deck 5 will not be refit at this time ( bummer) but will be by 2017. Has anyone found an estimated time frame for the rest of the ship? I'm sailing Sept 8 in a Deck 5 midship room, just curious as to what I will find. If no one knows, I will post once I return.

There is no detailed schedule of the work to be done after QM2 goes back to service. They originally said "through 2017," then said they hope/expect/intend to have it all done before she starts the world cruise, which would be early in 2017.

They're supposed to have the midships balcony cabins on deck 6 done by the end of the refit. I think that's category BV and BU. I can see two plausible patterns. One is to work their way down the rest of the BV and BU cabins, to finish the upgrades to those categories and then work their way through the rest category by category. Or they may do it by deck, finishing 6, then working their way down. Or it could appear random, driven by wiring, AC, or other factors that creates "zones" that passengers are unaware of.

In short, it's anyone's guess.

It was not the best use of space for sure, but there was this sort of Victorian-era kitschiness about the space. It reminded me of times of old, when the aristocracy would have conservatories and orangeries in their homes.

I don't think you're alone in your admiration of the Winter Garden. Others share your viewpoint as well. Personally I'm not one of them. I never saw the appeal and most of the time it seemed like an extension of the King's Court to me. I think as the Carinthia Lounge it will be a much better use of space, and a far more elegant venue as well.

The Winter Gardens remain on QV and QE and they are lovely spaces, far better than the one on QM2. On QV and QE they are quite large, up by the pool, and bright with lots of windows and a glass ceiling. On QV the glass ceiling can even retract in good weather.

A new image of the stern was posted within the last 4 hours here. What a mess and to think this is all going to be put back together within the next 12 days!

Excellent top on photo. Doesn't appear that they have all of the deck 13 cabins in place as yet. I fear the reviews from the initial sailing once she is back in service may not be the nicest. Hard to see how 100% of the tidying up will have been done and then the crew in the new buffet will be reaching right for that knife when it is now on the left for a week or so. Happy my venture is not until much later in the season.

I don't think you're alone in your admiration of the Winter Garden. Others share your viewpoint as well. Personally I'm not one of them. I never saw the appeal and most of the time it seemed like an extension of the King's Court to me. I think as the Carinthia Lounge it will be a much better use of space, and a far more elegant venue as well.

The Winter Gardens remain on QV and QE and they are lovely spaces, far better than the one on QM2. On QV and QE they are quite large, up by the pool, and bright with lots of windows and a glass ceiling. On QV the glass ceiling can even retract in good weather.

I agree that it was not the best use of space and that the Carinthia Lounge will be much more elegant. Still.... HAHA

I was told by Cunard deck 5 would not be refurbished in the refit but would be some time before the World cruise in 2017. I moved up to deck 6 - sheltered balcony and they would not guarantee that deck would be refurbished either by November It is scheduled to be if there is time this week.

I was told by Cunard deck 5 would not be refurbished in the refit but would be some time before the World cruise in 2017. I moved up to deck 6 - sheltered balcony and they would not guarantee that deck would be refurbished either by November It is scheduled to be if there is time this week.

What about Deck 4 'sheltered balconys?' Will they be refurbished? In one of those, Sydney to HK on 2 March.

Deck 4 is probably steerage class, @ Titanic. LOL.

Thanks.

Edited by NSWP

What about Deck 4 'sheltered balconys?' Will they be refurbished? In one of those, Sydney to HK on 2 March.

Thanks.

According to the Cunard web site, now scheduled to be done before she even gets to us Les.

Thanks.

IF they are on schedule, it's all supposed to be done before the world cruise starts. At least, that's the latest statement I've heard. So by March you should be OK.

I've only sailed on QM2 once [so far] so am in no position to reminisce deeply like some others on this thread but I still think the winter garden got a bad wrap. Is the one on QV staying?

It's going to be a case where Cunard won't be able to please everybody. Earlier this year somebody actually liked Kings Court the way it was. And some think the removal of the lobby 2/3/7 elevators will be an inconvenience. I'm sure the Winter Garden had its fans. Some appreciated the quiet space to just read. But it was rarely lively. The only time that I recall was a smaller World Club gathering since the vast majority of passengers were first timers.

Any business that tries to keep up with changing times runs a delicate balancing act. Don't change and you become dated and the loyal customers die out. Change too drastically and you alienate loyal customers. Do you think QE2 would have sailed as long as he did had Cunard maintained her late 1960s Discotheque Moderne decor? Had CC been in existence in 1986 we would have read that her then new balcony staterooms had ruined her exterior lines.

Edited by BlueRiband

Had CC been in existence in 1986 we would have read that her then new balcony staterooms had ruined her exterior lines.

Even though the ship is long gone at this point I always thought adding balconies to any ship ruined the lines and even the QM2 does not really have that true liner feel. Nothing wrong with windows and everyone enjoying the public space instead of hiding on ones own balcony.

It's going to be a case where Cunard won't be able to please everybody. Earlier this year somebody actually liked Kings Court the way it was. And some think the removal of the lobby 2/3/7 elevators will be an inconvenience. I'm sure the Winter Garden had its fans. Some appreciated the quiet space to just read. But it was rarely lively. The only time that I recall was a smaller World Club gathering since the vast majority of passengers were first timers.

Any business that tries to keep up with changing times runs a delicate balancing act. Don't change and you become dated and the loyal customers die out. Change too drastically and you alienate loyal customers. Do you think QE2 would have sailed as long as he did had Cunard maintained her late 1960s Discotheque Moderne decor? Had CC been in existence in 1986 we would have read that her then new balcony staterooms had ruined her exterior lines.

I totally agree. I understand why Cunard remodeled the space. I'm just glad I got to sail her in her mostly original configuration though (the glass floor in Kings court was gone by the time I sailed, as was the Hermès boutique, but she was still pretty much the way she was born). Maybe in 25 years we will all be reminiscing about "that winter garden QM2 had back in the day...5 remodels ago".

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks.

I see you live in Bateman's Bay. Have been there many times as my brother and sister in law live there. Lovely part of the world. I sailed in to Sydney from UK in 2014, stayed at Bateman's for a month and flew home. Last year I flew to Sydney for a month and then sailed back to UK on QE. Two months and still didn't want to get off. Am on QM2 to New York next month so do a write up on the refit.

Regards

Pat

Britannia on June 7th.

Teak deck being refinished.

Spa pool repairs.

A post on the G32GBQM2 page notes that Captain Oprey has gone on leave and Captain Wells is now on board for - her "sea trials"? Not sure what the poster meant by that.:confused: She's scheduled to leave dry dock on the 17th and remain at the cruise terminal until the 21st.

With Captain Wells on has her master she will be flying the Blue Ensign.

Unless there is a "secret" plan to take her out to sea to see what difference the extra cabins have made to her handling.

I am guessing she will be slightly slower now, not that it matters since she very rarely if ever runs at top speed these days.

I see you live in Bateman's Bay. Have been there many times as my brother and sister in law live there. Lovely part of the world. I sailed in to Sydney from UK in 2014, stayed at Bateman's for a month and flew home. Last year I flew to Sydney for a month and then sailed back to UK on QE. Two months and still didn't want to get off. Am on QM2 to New York next month so do a write up on the refit.

Regards

Pat

G'day Pat, yes Batemans Bay is a nice spot, glad you like it. Will be good to hear your views on QM2 refit, or should I say 'Remastered' in Cunard speak. This will be our first Cunard adventure, been my ambition to go on QM2, looking forward to a taste.

We did half WC - Sydney to Southampton on Arcadia, in March 2012, via Africa. Just great the sailaway from Sydney Harbour.

Also thanks to all on here concerning refit news. Happy Cruising !!

Edited by NSWP