Major QM2 interior refit 2016

QM1

Britannia on June 7th.

Teak deck being refinished.

Spa pool repairs.

A post on the G32GBQM2 page notes that Captain Oprey has gone on leave and Captain Wells is now on board for - her "sea trials"? Not sure what the poster meant by that.:confused: She's scheduled to leave dry dock on the 17th and remain at the cruise terminal until the 21st.

With Captain Wells on has her master she will be flying the Blue Ensign.

Glad to see work being done on the spa pool. It was a bit moldy last time I was onboard.

Unless there is a "secret" plan to take her out to sea to see what difference the extra cabins have made to her handling.

I am guessing she will be slightly slower now, not that it matters since she very rarely if ever runs at top speed these days.

There's also the addition of scrubbers and the pods appear to be apart for a major overhaul. (Recall last year one of the azimuthing pods failed.) I think you're right - they want to see how she handles with the new weight distribution and mechanical changes.

Here is a link to a story in USA Today.

First look: Inside the makeover of Cunard's Queen Mary 2

Many of the images are repetitive of what we have seen before or what is included in the "Maritime Matters" article posted by BlueRiband. But there may be enough new here for it to be of interest.

Regards,

John.

Edited by bluemarble

Loving all these photos and updates. I especially like the detail they've gone too with the new kennels:

" Dogs will also have access to a genuine New York fire hydrant and a Liverpool lampost."

:D:D:D

Both these items are on board, I've seen an unofficial photo of them being delivered.

Interesting to see the notices stuck to the cabin doors in the Maritime Matters link. They include a check box for "install coffee / tea point" so like it or not, the facilities are definitely on their way. I hope they provide a pack of Jammie Dodgers to go with my cuppa.

M-AR

Interesting to see the notices stuck to the cabin doors in the Maritime Matters link. They include a check box for "install coffee / tea point" so like it or not, the facilities are definitely on their way. I hope they provide a pack of Jammie Dodgers to go with my cuppa.

M-AR

I'm more concerned on how the additional passengers - via the new staterooms - will affect service. Where do they make crew space for additional stewards and waiters? Or do the same number crew members now have to service more cabins and serve more tables?

I'm more concerned on how the additional passengers - via the new staterooms - will affect service. Where do they make crew space for additional stewards and waiters? Or do the same number crew members now have to service more cabins and serve more tables?

Hi

I am wondering the same thing....I have no idea what it is costing Cunard to add all those cabins on deck 13. To me it would have made sense to just re-categorize existing Britannia cabins to CLUB cabins and then just carve out existing space from the dining room for additional Britannia Club dining room space. That would have kept the passenger capacity the same (Except for the new single cabins) and there would be little need to bring on more crew members or to keep the same number of servers which would mean service would suffer.

I love sailing on Cunard This coming 8/9 I will on my 21st sailing on the Queen Mary 2. I will have little patience for diminished service.

Thank you.

Deck Chair

These days most of the cruise lines have the cabin stewards serving 15 to 20 cabins, I know from my recent travels in the last two years on Oriana/Aurora and Golden Princess, the cabin stewards had 18 cabins each to service, hard work.

The MDR waiters also seem to have about 5 tables to look after as well. And as for the wine stewards on P&O UK, they need roller skates, real short handed on Oriana/Aurora last year. I used the 'wine line' every day, to make sure my wine was pre ordered and on most occasions waiting on the table.

Does Cunard have the 'Wine Line' where you ring up and pre order your dinner wine each day?

Edited by NSWP

OMG!!!!! I hope to the Almighty that these so called “points” in the cabins do not mean that Room Service when desired - esp. in the AM - will be phased out in deference to the “do it yourselfers” who want a Cunard Liner to more resemble a Holiday Inn - where "you do it yourself" and cabin service becomes a memory and fares keep going up for reduced service. :(

Edited by canoncruiser
grammar and spelling

OMG!!!!! I hope to the Almighty that these so called “points” in the cabins do not mean that Room Service when desired - esp. in the AM - will be phased out in deference to the “do it yourselfers” who want a Cunard Liner to more resemble a Holiday Inn - where "you do it yourself" and cabin service becomes a memory and fares keep going up for reduced service. :(

What is a business supposed to do when passengers demand this? There have been several threads here from some who want to bring a kettle because they don't care to wait for cabin service. :( "I need coffee the minute I open my eyes", said one member.

Loving all these photos and updates. I especially like the detail they've gone too with the new kennels:

" Dogs will also have access to a genuine New York fire hydrant and a Liverpool lampost."

:D:D:D

In my opinion the provision of dog/cat kennels on ships is over the top. Leave the animals on land, where they belong. I wonder how much the charge is for these animals on board ? Do they get room service? LOL.

What is a business supposed to do when passengers demand this? There have been several threads here from some who want to bring a kettle because they don't care to wait for cabin service. :( "I need coffee the minute I open my eyes", said one member.

And those pax are too lazy to go to the buffet to collect the said coffee. Crew have better things to do then run around the ship with coffee and tea pots, surely.

In my opinion the provision of dog/cat kennels on ships is over the top. Leave the animals on land, where they belong. I wonder how much the charge is for these animals on board ? Do they get room service? LOL.

The kennels are only used for Transatlantic cruises or where animals are allowed to be moved from one country to another. They hark back to the days when people would travel to NY or the UK by ship for an extended period of time.

Not going to happen in Australian waters anytime soon.

I am more concerned with the move towards allowing pet animals to fly in airline cabins with their owners.

These days most of the cruise lines have the cabin stewards serving 15 to 20 cabins, I know from my recent travels in the last two years on Oriana/Aurora and Golden Princess, the cabin stewards had 18 cabins each to service, hard work.

The MDR waiters also seem to have about 5 tables to look after as well. And as for the wine stewards on P&O UK, they need roller skates, real short handed on Oriana/Aurora last year. I used the 'wine line' every day, to make sure my wine was pre ordered and on most occasions waiting on the table.

Does Cunard have the 'Wine Line' where you ring up and pre order your dinner wine each day?

I did one cruise on P & O and never again.

:

But ... it very often has not only emotional but also practical reasons why dogs and cats accompany their masters on a transatlantic ... I like Cunard for providing kennels for them, while I agree that it is stressful for the animals. However, it is even more stressful for them to be separated from their masters when they are looked after by somebody else, even more so if kept in a home as a "paying guest", so taking them along on QM2 is the best choice, not to forget the room service they enjoy! :cool:

And those pax are too lazy to go to the buffet to collect the said coffee. Crew have better things to do then run around the ship with coffee and tea pots, surely.

For many people, a cruise is a treat, a chance to live in luxury for a week--or more if they dare take off more than one week from work. It's a change from everyday routine. So if someone wants to have coffee/tea in their pjs while they slowly move into their day, why not? "Running around the ship with coffee and tea pots" is part of the stewards' job. And not to start another tipping thread, but many people do tip room service stewards, so it isn't all bad for them.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

The kennels are only used for Transatlantic cruises or where animals are allowed to be moved from one country to another. They hark back to the days when people would travel to NY or the UK by ship for an extended period of time.

Not going to happen in Australian waters anytime soon.

I am more concerned with the move towards allowing pet animals to fly in airline cabins with their owners.

The kennels are a godsend for people who have to relocate for work. That's why they book up faster than any other accommodation. Cunard is smart to expand a service that's in demand.

... Crew have better things to do then run around the ship with coffee and tea pots, surely.
Hi NSWP,

I'm struggling to work out what stewards, who are presumably recruited to provide service to passengers, could be doing that is "better" than providing service to passengers :confused: .