Major QM2 interior refit 2016

QM1

Fabulous!

Could I ask.... are there any tables for 4 by a window in the Queens Grill restaurant?

How does the bathroom look? Any major changes or just a tidy up?

The Bathrooms didnt change. It seems brighter due to new probably LED spots. There are surely some tables for four by the windows.

Hi eroller. I understand how you could feel the same way about carpets and art. But the primary function of carpeting on a ship is utilitarian, secondarily decorative.

We will have to agree to disagree as I do not feel the same way about art as I do carpeting. See? Life is not boring - for one, I don't agree with you :)

Cheers,

Salacia

Life is definitely not boring! Yes we can agree to disagree. I feel that in many cases the primary role of carpet is decorative, and it plays carefully crafted role in the overall design just as important as the art. I'm guessing the design and manufacture of QM2's new carpets were of equal importance to the artwork select. Carpet can make or break a room.

Happy sailing!

Ernie

The point is, at least in my opinion, that the new carpet does not correspond to the overall style of QM2, which is art déco, while the carpet's style is modern, so there is a contrast. Although I am not against contrasts, but here it is too sharp. Let's hope that in reality it looks better!

That was mentioned on another thread, has it been moved or gone completely? It seems a shame as that was a nice tradition.

Maybe it's something else that was stored for safe keeping!

Edited by Host Hattie

That was mentioned on another thread, has it been moved or gone completely? It seems a shame as that was a nice tradition.

Maybe it's something else that was stored for safe keeping!

Hi Host Hattie. Oh I didn't see it on another post. That's good that we are looking for the bell. It was so traditional !! Maybe we can get it back .??

I will be sailing on the QM2 in July to Southampton .

Wonderful live streaming now on Cunard's corporate Facebook ......I'm loving everything I'm seeing.

My friends onboard tell, me that even some of the photo's we have seen ( or photo's they have sent to me) do not do it justice ....everything ,even the carpets, look much better in real life.;)

The Bell that was placed above the main Lobby is not there anymore . If you recall, the was the bell that was tolled 12 times by an officer at Noon.

That's gone along with the elevators.

Eight times (its a nautical thing).

There's some conjecture remaining that it's still off for cleaning along with the deck chairs. Are you on the TA?

Eight times (its a nautical thing).

There's some conjecture remaining that it's still off for cleaning along with the deck chairs. Are you on the TA?

8 times at 12 noon. Always welcoming during Transatlantic Days!

Yes. , TransAtlantic

Eight times (its a nautical thing).icon7.gif

The bell was between the 2 lifts on a small balcony that now has been removed along with the lifts..That end of the lobby is flat now and I have already watched a video on a Qm2 facebook page that shows of all things a sales bargain table placed were the bell was!! That was not in the "remastered " video!:)

Apologies as I am sure this must have been asked before but I can't find it.

Does anyone know exactly which Britannia staterooms have been refurbished?

I heard conflicting reports prior to re-mastering that it was only going to be Britannia Club, then I heard it was going to be all upper decks (8 and above) with Decks 4, 5 and 6 following later.

Does anyone know for sure please?

Hi Pikkewyn. No, I don't think anyone knows for sure when all Britannia staterooms will be refurbished.

If you have a specific voyage and cabin in mind, my suggestion would be to call Cunard and ask prior to booking.

Thanks Salacia, we are booked in Britannia upper decks regardless. We have friends that have just come off the Hamburg - Southampton hop so I have asked them to let me know (if they know).

Hi Pikkewyn,

Perhaps you could let us know what you find out? Thanks!

The official announcement from a senior Cunard executive at the Remastering Celebrations held in Southampton the other day, was that they had managed to refurbish more of the Britannia staterooms than they originally thought would be possible.

Apparently there was only one or two staterooms on deck 'five' yet to be completed. (I think that was the gist of the announcement)

I'm pretty impressed with most of what I see with the QM2 refit. Overall I think Cunard did a fantastic job. In fact I would go as far to say she looks better now than in her original state. That is a rarity with a major passenger ship refurbishment, especially one overseen by Carnival Corporation.

There is one exception. Cunard in its infinite wisdom has decided to sever its relationship with Ocean Bookshop. Ocean Bookshop operated the best retail outfit on the high seas IMO, selling wonderful ocean liner themed merchandise and books. Visiting these bookshops onboard was a highlight of any Cunard voyage. QM2's bookshop, as recently reported by Bill Miller, is now selling glassware, mugs, and paperback books but hardly a maritime title to be seen. Very sad. QE and QV will follow if they haven't already.

You can be certain Cunard will hear about my disappointment with this decision when I sail on QM2 in August.

The official announcement from a senior Cunard executive at the Remastering Celebrations held in Southampton the other day, was that they had managed to refurbish more of the Britannia staterooms than they originally thought would be possible.

Apparently there was only one or two staterooms on deck 'five' yet to be completed. (I think that was the gist of the announcement)

Thanks for that information. I'm in a deck 5 balcony cabin next month and was initially disappointed to read those cabins weren't to be refurbished in the re-fit. So I'm pleased to hear they might now be done. :)

We need someone currently on the QM2 in a deck 5 cabin to confirm this.

I'm pretty impressed with most of what I see with the QM2 refit. Overall I think Cunard did a fantastic job. In fact I would go as far to say she looks better now than in her original state. That is a rarity with a major passenger ship refurbishment, especially one overseen by Carnival Corporation.

There is one exception. Cunard in its infinite wisdom has decided to sever its relationship with Ocean Bookshop. Ocean Bookshop operated the best retail outfit on the high seas IMO, selling wonderful ocean liner themed merchandise and books. Visiting these bookshops onboard was a highlight of any Cunard voyage. QM2's bookshop, as recently reported by Bill Miller, is now selling glassware, mugs, and paperback books but hardly a maritime title to be seen. Very sad. QE and QV will follow if they haven't already.

You can be certain Cunard will hear about my disappointment with this decision when I sail on QM2 in August.

Nooooo! The bookshop was so wonderful! Over the years I've bought quiet a few books and the wonderful Cunard journals there! They have mugs in the main gift shop, they don't need to use this space for that kind of thing!!!

Photos of the bookshop can be seen on Gary999's twitter page. Scroll down when you get there https://twitter.com/Cunard_Cruiser
Thank Ray66,

A lot of that looks like the stuff (glass, mugs etc) they sell in the Logo shop on Deck 3.

The remainder appears to be many, many copies of three or four Cunard-badged books.

Very, very disappointing.

The "old" book shop had books from a variety of publishers, on many topics, superb nautical books, not just Cunard-only ones.

It was an interesting "Aladdin's Cave" of curios, memorabilia, technical books, and all sorts of odds and ends that I didn't know I needed until I saw it there. Stationery, children's gifts... the list seems endless.

I must have spent a fortune there over the years.

The photos show a shop that would take about 30 seconds to see all the stock, and wander out without a purchase.

Whereas I would spend a long time in there, and leave with many items...

(Does this mean that there are no-longer any Librarians on board? Only shop assistants? That all the library books have been replaced as well?)

This is very bad news indeed :mad: .

Edited by pepperrn