5 hours to sample American culture...

Fofalola

Princess usually has a shore excursions that explores the intra-coastal waterway in the Fort Lauderdale Area. This should be a great way to see some of the Ft. Lauderdale scenery. I have booked this tour, following an upcoming cruise, for myself. It should be good.

I will look forward to reading what others recommend, as well.

Any Floridians out there with recommendations?

Or, assuming docking at Pier 2 or 4, walk over to the Hilton Marina, and take the northern water taxi run.

As this is about Ft Lauderdale, some research on the Florida Departures board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

would be beneficial. The Mods might even move it there.

Edited by CruiserBruce

The Cheesecake Factory is not much of a local flavor unless you're looking for a chain restaurant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HAHA! Perfect American restaurant culture! Super large, can't finish unless you starve yourself for days portions and stars in an American hit TV show (sort of). :D

But yes, if you wish to see a bit of the Ft Lauderdale sights a tour is the way. I think, personally, that I would try to head out and do a swamp tour on the airboat. I think it's close to Sawgrass Mills which, to this old memory, is not far from Ft Lauderdale.

Edited by sportsmum

The Cheesecake Factory is not much of a local flavor unless you're looking for a chain restaurant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well put and certainly not a true American experience. If the ship offers a trip to the Everglades, you might want to consider it as the Everglades (swamp) is a unique sight. Really though a few hours in south Florida will only give one a very short glimpse of American life. It is a big country out there.

HAHA! Perfect American restaurant culture! Super large, can't finish unless you starve yourself for days portions and stars in an American hit TV show (sort of). :D

But yes, if you wish to see a bit of the Ft Lauderdale sights a tour is the way. I think, personally, that I would try to head out and do a swamp tour on the airboat. I think it's close to Sawgrass Mills which, to this old memory, is not far from Ft Lauderdale.

The airboat ride is a great idea:). Real old time Florida. A real Florida experience. It would be a great memory.

Not sure what you will be able to see in 5 hours but if I wanted to see a very tiny portion of an American Culture see if Princess offers a tour of Miami. The Cuban culture in Miami, the beaches and bodies of Miami Beach and the food is something you will probably not forget. Maybe not Historical America but Miami is certainly a melting pot with lots of color and flair.

Well put and certainly not a true American experience. If the ship offers a trip to the Everglades, you might want to consider it as the Everglades (swamp) is a unique sight. Really though a few hours in south Florida will only give one a very short glimpse of American life. It is a big country out there.

I would agree with doing the Everglades tour.

America is such a large and varied country with diverse regional cultures. You will only find a glimpse of Southern Florida culture in a few hours while there.

Whatever you decide to do have a great cruise. :cool:

Edited by ar1950

If you're on a Princess cruise out of Florida, you will get a lot of American culture on the ship. Most of your fellow passengers will be Americans.

Your best introduction to American culture will be talking with the people you meet sharing a table at breakfast or lunch or at dinner (if anytime). Instead of planning too much ahead, you may try talking with the Americans you meet on the ship. Several of them will probably be from Florida.

We have a turnaround day in Fort Lauderdale in November which, unfortunately, will be our only opportunity to sample America on this trip. Any suggestions on ways to 'taste' American culture in a few hours?

All the suggestions are great and I've got nothing to add other than to insist you remember your "taste" is just a very small bite of a huge buffet. Kind of like visiting your home city of London for five hours. Of course you wouldn't think that's representative of the whole United Kingdom.

While the Cheesecake Factory is a sort of an OK restaurant, it's a chain like hundreds (thousands?) of other chain restaurants.

If it were me, I'd either take the inland waterway tour to see the beautiful houses or take an airboat ride. If you rent a car, it's an easy drive to Holiday Park. You can then stop at a supermarket or Total wine, or a restaurant.

All the suggestions are great and I've got nothing to add other than to insist you remember your "taste" is just a very small bite of a huge buffet. Kind of like visiting your home city of London for five hours. Of course you wouldn't think that's representative of the whole United Kingdom.

Or even of London.;)

We have a turnaround day in Fort Lauderdale in November which, unfortunately, will be our only opportunity to sample America on this trip. Any suggestions on ways to 'taste' American culture in a few hours?

If the weather's nice and it should be, take a walk along the beach. Stop for lunch overlooking the beach, scenery doesn't get much prettier and it should be a very relaxing time.

Private air boats are soon to be banned in the Everglades. Notable exceptions. A group of four licensed excursion operators operating under the Park Service. Some private ownership will be allowed.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2015/09/18/gone-from-glades-federal-rules-to-put-florida-legendary-airboats-in-dry-dock/

I agree with this. Take the Princess excursion that goes to the Everglades.

I suggest the one called Airboat Ride & Flamingo Gardens

After the tour, the bus will drop off those who are flying home and then the bus will return you to the ship.

You can see the list of excursions that may be available if you go to the Princess web site and look for excursions in Fort Lauderdale.

South Florida is about the last place I would pick to try and have a sample of American culture. You have Ft. Lauderdale beach area, which someone I once new that worked there always referred to as Lala-Land where people driving Ferrari's are common, but go just a few miles inland (or even a few spots near the coast) and you get into some extremely high crime areas where you would likely be killed if caught stopped in a Ferrari or at the least have a very unpleasant day. Then of course you have the Cuban culture in the Miami area, and the swamps of the everglades once you get more inland. So judging the U.S. based upon any one sample you are likely to have in your limited time would be a bit like judging England based on watching either the tv show "The only was is essex" or perhaps "The Vicar of Dibley" if you picked some spots inland near the everglades.

Ike

I would do the Everglades tour or the Fort Lauderdale tour on the paddleboat. I'm not sure if Princess still offers the Carrie B tour, but I did this one day when I got off the ship and had a late flight. It was a relaxing and enjoyable tour and the highlight for me was getting to sail around the harbor and see the cruise ships in port from the water. It was a nice photo opportunity. You get to see the big homes and they'll probably point out some celebrity homes. Also, there will be some historical sites. We did part bus tour around the city and then the boat tour. You can always book the boat portion yourself and take a cab to get there.

http://www.carriebcruises.com/fort-lauderdale-sightseeing.html

i thought about this a lot too and I had difficulty coming up with an answer. It's a little like saying you have only a few hours in Hong Kong and you can pick Stanley Market or Nathan Road. Neither really represents China. To see something geographical I would take a tour of the Everglades. There's nothing like it wherever you're from. For something more in the line of a unique cultural phenomenon I would probably take a trip to Calle Ocho and little Havana. One can feel transported to Havana in the late fifties. For our unadulterated modern American culture there's nothing like a trip to Aventura Mall. From Designers to low end stuff you can find something. I find watching the people infinitely more interesting than the shopping.