#1 Recommendations for Pinnacle & Caneletto Dinner

retdon

Prime Rib.... I wish it was available on the PG menu every evening. MDR on first night but I would rather have prime rib instead of steak... any time!

I agree it would be a nice option, at least once in a while. I still like the steaks, and would have them on some visits, but a good prime rib dinner would be a treat, too.

I agree it would be a nice option, at least once in a while. I still like the steaks, and would have them on some visits, but a good prime rib dinner would be a treat, too.

Or even.... on a Pinnacle night... first night MDR.... you can request for the PG. Of course the leftovers... send to the cabin for a cold sandwich later. ;-)

My friends it is hard for me to believe you have never eaten there. Anyway, this is all subjective but in the Pinnacle I put at the top of my list the Filet cooked rare to medium rare Pittsburgh style.

Canellto. We are one of the few (per the boards) who enjoy an occasional meal there. The large ravioli is great. I enjoy the veal and just about everything else.

We find the Canletto a nice break from the MDR routine especially on long cruises.

You will get a lot of opinions but the best way is to try different menu items and see for yourself. I think of the Pinnacle more as a nice Steak House.

Lunch in the Pinnacle is another nice option. The Bleu Cheese Encrusted Filet is wonderful.

Hope this finds the both of you doing well and hope you enjoy your cruise.

Hi to both of you,

We are well except for Tom's skin cancers, yuck but the last removed today. We ate there a very long time ago and on our upcoming cruise we got dinner in both places as a part of the cruise. I think I had the filet and will probably again.

Hope we can cruise again together, we really enjoyed your group, keep us in the loop. Linda

The PG lunch is delicious and we like to go several times to the PG for both lunch and dinner.

Sorry, but the Canaletto on most ships has been a disappointment for us. The only one we really enjoyed and went several times was on the Prinsendam.

We will normally give it a try, just to see, but I don't know if we will bother next cruise. Food is subjective and slow service may be too.

The one nice thing about the Canaletto is the selection of some wines.

I see no harm in the OP asking for opinions and I don't think they will hold us liable if they don't enjoy it. We can't guarantee anything - we can only share experiences - as we have been asked to ;) We will most likely find that many don't agree on this thread.

No difference on threads asking about FLL hotels, transfers/taxi, etc. It's all experience and that's all the OP is asking for just as many of us have.

Edited by kazu

I see no harm in the OP asking for opinions and I don't think they will hold us liable if they don't enjoy it. We can't guarantee anything - we can only share experiences - as we have been asked to ;) We will most likely find that many don't agree on this thread.

No difference on threads asking about FLL hotels, transfers/taxi, etc. It's all experience and that's all the OP is asking for just as many of us have.

I agree. With respect to food, hotels, cabins etc., it is all about digesting all the advice and experiences and then making an informed decision. I value all opinions when I ask for a recommendation.

The PG lunch is delicious and we like to go several times to the PG for both lunch and dinner.

Sorry, but the Canaletto on most ships has been a disappointment for us. The only one we really enjoyed and went several times was on the Prinsendam.

We will normally give it a try, just to see, but I don't know if we will bother next cruise. Food is subjective and slow service may be too.

The one nice thing about the Canaletto is the selection of some wines.

Honest, cruising HAL.... I use PG and Canaletto and rarely go to MDR... unless for Mariner's Brunch! Canaletto is never crowded and I have never had slow service. The waiters... just top shelf... sometimes even better than PG! I have found the Maitr'd, wine steward and the table waiters then know you and a bit like it used to be in MDR. The food is fine... and enough selections that you can use the full menu without getting fed up with the choices. Best is that you can pick and choose and the chef will change a few things for you. Best of all... you can have small portions without having to feel 'full'.

Buon appetite!

Stephen

Thanks to all of you, Ruth, Kazu and others. It has been a long time since we ate there and you comments are appreciated.

I eat the lamb every chance I get, love that special taste. We also like the Béarnaise sauce on a filet. Thanks Chief for the Philly input, we will probably go with that. Now to get our reservation for a non-formal night. Since the ship makes the reservation we will change it, if necessary, when we board.

I will be asking for screen shots and will be back with my friends then. This will be a relaxing, us only cruise, love just being on the ship.... Linda

is the best I ever had. The portion is much too large for a starter so I ask for a half portion and then can enjoy the rest of the meal. If you like raw meat this is for you

I wish that they would serve American lamb instead of the small NZ or Aussie racks where the chop is much bigger and has more flavor

Edited by SeaBands

is the best I ever had. The portion is much too large for a starter so I ask for a half portion and then can enjoy the rest of the meal. If you like raw meat this is for you

I wish that they would serve American lamb instead of the small NZ or Aussie racks where the chop is much bigger and has more flavor

We still had the good US lamb on Veendam a few weeks ago. Delicious!

we will be boarding our first HAL ship in a few weeks time. I have prebooked Pinnacle Grill for some dinners, but can someone tell me the cost of the alternate restaurants for lunch? I didn't realise they were available for lunch.

The Pinnacle is $10 for lunch. Those ships that have a Tamarind do not charge for lunch. The Canaletto doesn't serve lunch, as it is located in a portion of the Lido.

I'm sensing a missed marketing opportunity here...;)

Never eaten at Primanti's but after reading this thread I'd love to remedy that.

There is a 24 hour Primanti Brothers on A1A in Ft. Lauderdale in case anybody needs a pre-cruise Primanti fix. :)

The Pinnacle is $10 for lunch. Those ships that have a Tamarind do not charge for lunch. The Canaletto doesn't serve lunch, as it is located in a portion of the Lido.

Thanks Ruth. We will be on the Volendam so sadly no Tamarind....that looks more like "my sort of food"......hubby is a steak freak, so I'm sure he will be very happy with a few $10 lunches.....

I love the Rib Steak and the Pork Chop. Last cruise I tried the Cedar Planked Halibut with Scampi and was pleasantly surprised- very good.

I like the Tomato Bisque with Lemongrass but is a bit filling if ordering a large steak. I LOVED the previous Thai Chicken Soup- really wish it would come back. Also miss the Steak Diane- I understand the whole flambe' issue but would be fine cooked in the galley.

We also like the crab cakes as a starter along with the lobster bisque. My first choice for an entree is the lamb. It is excellent, but will at times order the filet or salmon. DH likes the halibut. While the raspberry chessecake is good for a ligher dessert, the volcano cake with a scoop of vanilla ice cream is the best. On the Statendam, which we left on Monday, the staff in the Pinnacle was very good.

We also do Le Cirque, but I found the lamb chop on our last cruise had been changed. It was not as good as the one in the Pinnacle Grill. You cannot go wrong with the lobster salad, which is almost a meal in itself.

We also went to Canaletto twice and enjoyed it. The new menu is designed to order a couple or three small plates and two large plates to share. This worked well, and we were pleasantly surprised with the eggplant starter. It was not what we expected, but was wonderful. Also the sea bass and the riggatoni with sausage was good. For a light dessert the gelatto is a good choice. We also found the manager, wine steward and wait staff there to be good.

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser

I always order the same thing in the PG for dinner.

Lobster Bisque

Shrimp Cocktail

Steak Tartare

Lamb Chops

baked Alaska

Yep, I always leave completely stuffed and it's worth it!

Have never eaten at Canaletto

Diane

Edited by legalslave

at one meal? That would leave anyone stuffed.

YEP! I will say I plan my day around it. I eat extremely light at breakfast and lunch. Basically, just enough to keep my stomach from being empty and getting sea sick. Also, someone at our table almost always eats my shrimp cocktail. No one ever steals my Steak Tartare!

Diane

I love the Rib Steak and the Pork Chop. Last cruise I tried the Cedar Planked Halibut with Scampi and was pleasantly surprised- very good.

I like the Tomato Bisque with Lemongrass but is a bit filling if ordering a large steak. I LOVED the previous Thai Chicken Soup- really wish it would come back. Also miss the Steak Diane- I understand the whole flambe' issue but would be fine cooked in the galley.

I also miss the Steak Diane. That is why I now have the Steak Tartare! Can't get much more rare than that!

Diane