Taking bottled water onboard

Lea.B

Bottled water tastes are subjective. I suggest you try a few individual bottles from your local supermarket and see which you like best.

Are you in Australia or NZ and which cruise line are you going on?

If it's one that has a drinks package and if you are going to buy the drinks package then bottled water is included in that.

Bottled water sells in Australia for "rip off" prices for what is effectively tap water . Just take 3 - 4 bottles on board and refill from the ships drinking water which is either de-salinated or pumped on board from town supplies at ports en route .

Bottled water in Australia is nothing but a multi national marketing con .

Bottled water sells in Australia for "rip off" prices for what is effectively tap water . Just take 3 - 4 bottles on board and refill from the ships drinking water which is either de-salinated or pumped on board from town supplies at ports en route

Agree. There is no reason to take bottled water on board, except for one refillable bottle per person. The water on board is as good, if not more pure, than bottled, tastes great, is free, and doesn't come with a plastic waste problem.

Not sure why, if you are not normally a bottled water person, going on a cruise makes you feel you need to be a bottled water person?

Bottled water sells in Australia for "rip off" prices for what is effectively tap water . Just take 3 - 4 bottles on board and refill from the ships drinking water which is either de-salinated or pumped on board from town supplies at ports en route .

Bottled water in Australia is nothing but a multi national marketing con .

Personally I found that the ship's water on both the Princess ships I have cruised on tasted nasty to me, especially when it wasn't chilled but even the chilled water and ice tasted of chlorine. I drink filtered water at home as I seem to be quite sensitive to the chlorine taste and prefer bottled water onboard.

Royal Caribbean was slightly better. I could drink the chilled water in Rhapsody but still preferred bottled water for nighttime use.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

They have the Bottomless Bubbles drink package on Carnival Spirit but it doesn't include bottled water, so I just assumed you would either need to buy bottled water onboard (which would be even more expensive), or bring your own.

They have the Bottomless Bubbles drink package on Carnival Spirit but it doesn't include bottled water, so I just assumed you would either need to buy bottled water onboard (which would be even more expensive), or bring your own.

If you don't usually drink bottled water you'll probably have no problems with the ship's water but may want some bottles to take ashore on port days. I'm not sure what Carnival charge on board but, yes, buying it before you go will be much cheaper. Coles have 12 packs of the 600ml Mt Franklin which for $8.79 and that is as good as any. Print out an extra luggage label and stick it on to the pack with clear packing tape and it will be delivered to your cabin with the rest of your luggage.

I have been on Carnival Legend and as others have said the water from the tap is just fine. There will be an ice bucket refilled each day to chill it if you like it colder. In fact that's all I drink water wise on cruises. Princess ships usually. Also as others have stated just take one bottle per person and refill them as needed or if you prefer bottled water the Mt Franklin is good.

If you don't usually drink bottled water you'll probably have no problems with the ship's water but may want some bottles to take ashore on port days. I'm not sure what Carnival charge on board but, yes, buying it before you go will be much cheaper. Coles have 12 packs of the 600ml Mt Franklin which for $8.79 and that is as good as any. Print out an extra luggage label and stick it on to the pack with clear packing tape and it will be delivered to your cabin with the rest of your luggage.

I didn't know you could have it taken to your cabin, I thought it had to be part of the carry on luggage. Also, I've heard that some people think the ship's water tastes disgusting and has a strong chemical taste, so better safe than sorry.

We just use refillable water bottles on board and never had a problem with taste.

At home we sometimes have a slight chlorine odour in our water. We eliminate that by leaving our refill bottles in the fridge with the cap off. The chlorine soon evaporates.

All drinks including water,

taken on Carnival Spirit or Carnival Legend MUST be part of your carry on luggage.

I'm happy with the tap water onboard as well.

I was really surprised at the price of RCL bottled water. They sell packages in advance - and the price of 12 (1 l each) is a bargain ~$100 (in AUD) :eek:

Yes! But what surprises me even more is that this package obviously sells or they wouldn't be offering it!

To my mind, those that could afford it would probably be cruising is suites where I understand bottled water is provided free as part of the "perks" but perhaps it's not "Evian"!

Tap water is fine for me too but then I'm just a simple country girl not used to the "finer things in life" :)

Gae