pocket knife

jnc411

Sorry I know there must be a thread on the boards regarding this , but can't make the search tool work.

DH wants to know if he is allowed to bring a small pock knife onboard, I should know this but can't remember if it is permitted or not. Thanks for any response. Appreciate it.

Cori

Husband almost always had a pocket knife or a leatherman on him, and never used for anything other than a tool to open things. He left one in his backpack on one of our cruises and they confiscated it but gave him a slip of paper so that he could retrieve it when we disembarked. Sure enough, as we were leaving the ship on the final day he just handed over his slip near the gangway and they politely handed him his knife. I don't remember the size of the blade but pretty sure it was insignificant.

I routinely carry a small pocket knife and it doesn't even set off the scanners (I wouldn't try that at an airport). I have seen larger knives purchased in ports (presumably as gifts) noted in bags where the passengers were just told to "keep it in their cabin".

Hi,

In this day and age of heightened security why would anyone want to take any form of blade on holiday with them.

Pete

Because they have numerous uses for people. I have always carried a leatherman style tool on my cruises, never had a problem with it and have used for things from removeing splinters to cutting fruit to opening bottles. And that is in this day and age.

Hi,

In this day and age of heightened security why would anyone want to take any form of blade on holiday with them.

Pete

Be Prepared is the Boy Scout Motto. That's the reason.

I always have a small pocket knife and a corkscrew in my packed luggage.

No lo problemo :)

Don't put it in your carry on bag.

No problem on 30+ cruises.

Enjoy !

Thank You all for the replys to my question , very helpful, DH will probably leave the pocket knife home, he wanted to use it for small things like cutting off the zip tags on the luggage and it is small and has a little screwdriver on it, but it is not worth the bother. We will take a large toe nail cutter to cut the zip ties and get a little eye glass repair kit for the screwdriver.

DH just thought that since we were not flying to port this time , he might bring it , but rules are rules and they are there for a reason .

Thank you Lee W for the princess page reference, don't know why I could not find that.

Can always count on the CC boards to get the correct answer.

Cori

At Southampton, my Swiss Army knife set off a call for secondary screening. After digging to get my toiletry kit (where it stays), they determined that the blade was just short enough for me to keep it. So glad they are concerned with this blade when my steak knife in Crown Grill was much bigger and sharper. [/sarcasm]

Of course, security was unconcerned with the five fifths of spirits that I brought aboard on at later stops. Guess they were selling enough booze to not worry.

It's all theater.

We have been on around 100 cruises and have always taken our Swiss Army Knife. However, we always toss it into one or our checked bags as we do not want to gamble in getting it through the carry-on security check. And if anyone were to wonder why we take the knife it is primarily because of the excellent scissor and cork screw :).

Hank

I always carry one of those small pocket Swiss Army knives. The total length of the knife with the blade and the handle is maybe 8 cm longer. They confiscated it.

DON

I should have added that my knife got taken when I re-boarded the ship at a port. The initial security on embarkation did not find it or did not care.

DON

Sorry I know there must be a thread on the boards regarding this , but can't make the search tool work.

DH wants to know if he is allowed to bring a small pock knife onboard, I should know this but can't remember if it is permitted or not. Thanks for any response. Appreciate it.

Cori

I always carry a Swiss Army knife, use it once a day for something, cut a tag off, clip a nail, tighten a screw, something. 60 plus cruises never had a problem carrying it onboard ship in carry on UNTIL Baltimore pier think a year ago. ( 6 times prior sailings no problem same knife same place )

Security asked me if I had a knife in my carry on as it went through xray, I replied a small pocket knife. They insisted I turn that over and honestly I was surprised. My initial thought, why bother. Unless they have gone to plastic spoons or silver ware counts in the dining room I will have access to far larger knives once on ship. I posed that argument to no avail. They were confiscating nail clippers with those little file type blades for goodness sake. Classic example of a head of security having not one clue about security. Apparently simply took a TSA list and made it the cruise terminal list. No pocket knife on aircraft, understandable, on cruise ship, really?

I honestly made quite a stink about it all and certainly demanded a receipt ( knife also had sentimental value to me ) which they were happy to provide. They had a table upon disembarkation for picking items up and I did retrieve my knife.

So you never know. Many men I know would not be caught dead without a knife of some sort. Not for weapon but for little jobs that come up or an emergency where it might prove helpful. I would pack it in the suitcase instead of carry on.

Cruise ship security, heck airport security for most part pretty much a joke anyway.

George in NY

Hi we were stopped at Southampton due to my sons leather man tool the blade was just a fraction too long he likes to carry it as we have dodgy locks on our suitcase He had taken it aboard ECLIPSE last year with no problem This was Princess they were great and let my husband take it back to our car and the staff looked after it till we returned bit stressfull though they did put us on ship early by taking us on the staff way which we thought was very good of them

I always put my Swiss Army knife in my check bag which then just get put in my cabin. Never had an issue on 15 cruises. It's what they call a techno model that has mini tools for fixing electronics. Plus 100's of uses. I do keep it in the cabin and don't carry it around the ship or into ports. A standard large blade on Swiss Army Knife is 7cm, I just put a tape measure to it.

On one cruise I was call to security to retrieve my bag. They said I had a sword in my bag according to their scanner. Because I had a zip tie on the bag they wanted me to open it. I told them to open it and the use a big set of tin snips to remove the zip tie, I was laughing. Then then carefully took all my clothes out to find nothing but my tripod. [sarcasm]I said as I was leaving, "I felt safer now".[/sarcasm]

framer

Edited by framer

The way to get a small knife past TSA at an airport is to have a bottle of water in your carryon.

They will be so excited at finding and confiscating your dangerous water they will forget to look for other small forbidden items.

I will never forget leaving TSA security a few years ago and walking to my gate behind a pilot who was on the phone saying "yeah they confiscated my nail clipper again. Don't they know that I don't need a 'weapon' to get onto the flight deck...I am already there!"

I will never forget leaving TSA security a few years ago and walking to my gate behind a pilot who was on the phone saying "yeah they confiscated my nail clipper again. Don't they know that I don't need a 'weapon' to get onto the flight deck...I am already there!"

I forget which airport and airline, but a couple of years ago a pilot was arrested for saying about the same thing to the TSA inspector.

Many men I know would not be caught dead without a knife of some sort. Not for weapon but for little jobs that come up or an emergency where it might prove helpful.

This is a part of American culture, but it is not part of all cultures.

When on a job in Sweden we asked a Swedish co-worker if he had a pocketknife. The reply was basically that nobody in Sweden has one as there is no need to have one.

At Southampton, my Swiss Army knife set off a call for secondary screening. After digging to get my toiletry kit (where it stays), they determined that the blade was just short enough for me to keep it. So glad they are concerned with this blade when my steak knife in Crown Grill was much bigger and sharper. [/sarcasm]

Of course, security was unconcerned with the five fifths of spirits that I brought aboard on at later stops. Guess they were selling enough booze to not worry.

It's all theater.

My local army post has a sign at the entrance saying that knives longer than 3 inches are prohibited. Of course, the post exchange sells hunting knives, steak knives, all sorts of knives longer than three inches. So, the army can sell you a knife that it prohibits you from owning. How about the people who live in post housing. Guess they eat their meals with their fingers.