Chip-Enabled Credit Cards in Europe

colliercruiser

We have cards from four or five different institutions.

PIN set up has always been the same. We call the 1800 number and set the pin. First time we use it we are asked to sign the sales slip. After that...business as usual.

And I literally just got an email from my Apple credit card (thru Barclays US) that my new whip card with pin is on its way. I had to click thru th links to find that the pin was included with it but it is.

I didn't call to ask, it's just coming.

So Barclay Bank Apple Card customers are getting chip WITH PIN automatically.

There are plenty of apple customers in the US with this card earning their apple points for iTunes.

To be honest, I've seen many people with just the "simple" chip and sign cards who can't figure out that they need to leave the card in the reader until prompted to remove it. Including the woman at the store this morning who, even with the cashier telling her step by step what to do, could NOT get the hang of it. She'd put the card in and immediately remove it and then try punching numbers on the keypad. She finally gave up and paid cash.

Yes, it's a new skill. And some people don't learn new stuff easily.

How hard can it be? Seriously :eek: The chip reader tells you when to put the card into the reader and it tells you when to take it out...

Because it is costing billions to make this change over...the chip and PIN cards cost over 3 times as much as the old mag stripe cards. Plus every store and other business has to buy the new readers. There is a lot of businesses unwilling to take on the cost of the new machines. There is a fair amount of resistance at many levels to the new cards.

I have had Chip and PIN for years (since I live in Sweden) and ALL my cards have had BOTH chip and mag stripe.

How hard can it be? Seriously :eek: The chip reader tells you when to put the card into the reader and it tells you when to take it out...

I have had Chip and PIN for years (since I live in Sweden) and ALL my cards have had BOTH chip and mag stripe.

US citizens need to "man up." We are not exceptional. Much of the rest of the world is technologically superior (at least on a day-to-day basis). ;) :p

Edited by CPT Trips

How hard can it be? Seriously :eek: ...

That was my thought, also. But that's how it played out.

My thought at the time was she didn't read or understand English and couldn't understand what was being told to her.

For some people it's a bit like the "can't teach an old dog...." situation.

That was my thought, also. But that's how it played out.

My thought at the time was she didn't read or understand English and couldn't understand what was being told to her.

For some people it's a bit like the "can't teach an old dog...." situation.

Also, a lot of ATM's now no longer suck the card in and keep it during the transaction, they require you to insert and remove it not leave it hanging as it works. So I can see how people will be a bit confused for a bit of time.

Old Habits.... I know some older people who still won't swipe their own cards at self serve terminals thinking the cashier has to still do it.

Sometimes, when you use a card in some European countries you will be asked if you want the charge to be in the local currency (Euros) or your home currency be it US $, GBP, etc.

You should always ask for the charge to be in Euros as the conversion rate used at the point of transaction will leave you seriously out of pocket.

Absolutely. Do not let them convert to your home currency.

This happens to us in Florida quite often. Avis, Ross, and a few other stores try to offer it as a 'service'.

yep, and a service always comes at some expense.

Celebrity Express Passes also allow you to select if one wants.

I have to ask what chip and PIN cards you are referring to. In Post #33 (11:17AM yesterday) you pretty much shouted that US banks do not issue chip and PIN cards

Are you having fun baiting me? :D

I have a Wells Fargo American Express card with pin, and so does my wife. I also have a Citibank commercial travel card with pin. We had to ask for these. They were not generally available to the average consumer.

Are you happy now?

US citizens need to "man up." We are not exceptional. Much of the rest of the world is technologically superior (at least on a day-to-day basis). ;) :p

I'll never forget standing in front of an ATM in Alice Springs Australia in the mid 1990's, inserted my ATM card and the screen saying Hello, with my name. Never have seen that anywhere in the world, before or since.

If you do not care for the chip and pin, you can stay with what your card issuer gives you. If you change issuers (not hard at all, because most issuers are eager for customers) you can write your previous card issuer to close the account - and such responsible, affirmative action is actually beneficial to your credit rating.

But I don't want to play account shuffle. I happen to like the bank I have been with for years. Unlike you, I prefer to keep my credit rating stable and high. My credit rating is 843, and that's in the top 1%. That wasn't due to bouncing around from bank to bank every time a new one gave me a better introductory offer than the current one.

And contrary to your assumption that bouncing around between credit card companies is beneficial to your credit rating, it actually raises red flags if this is done too frequently.

Edited by PTMary

Are you having fun baiting me? :D

I have a Wells Fargo American Express card with pin, and so does my wife. I also have a Citibank commercial travel card with pin. We had to ask for these. They were not generally available to the average consumer.

Are you happy now?

I am just curious about why you were posting in COLORED, UPPER CASE letters just yesterday that US issuers would not issue chip and PIN cards, and today you talk about having two such cards.

Could it be that you are just very proud to feel that you are better than "THE AVERAGE CUSTOMER" - and did not want the common folk to get the special cards available to you?

I do not think it is "baiting" to question absurd inconsistencies.

But I don't want to play account shuffle. I happen to like the bank I have been with for years. Unlike you, I prefer to keep my credit rating stable and high. My credit rating is 843, and that's in the top 1%. That wasn't due to bouncing around from bank to bank every time a new one gave me a better introductory offer than the current one.

And contrary to your assumption that bouncing around between credit card companies is beneficial to your credit rating, it actually raises red flags if this is done too frequently.

On the contrary, taking affirmative action to close unwanted cards rather than just letting them sit unused IS beneficial -- and really is not a matter of "bouncing around". I do wonder about remaining with a service provider which does not provide full service. Of course, you might never need a chip and PIN card, but they are very helpful if travelling in Europe. If you are not interested in the value of chip and PIN cards when travelling in Europe, I have to wonder why you are on this thread in the first place.

Just what makes you think that I do not like to keep my credit rating stable and high? That is a very silly presumption.

It's a fallacy that closing accounts is harmful of the majority of consumers, especially if a new account is opened to take it over. The HURT comes in the reduction of available credit. But by replacing a closed card with another with open credit, that brings the score back, and can even raise it if new card has a better limit. However if you closed that account without opening a new one, then you take a ding.

The credit history of the old card remains as part of the calculation for 10 years, so the good payment history isn't lost, it's maintained.

This said, in 10 years the closed cards history falls off, so if it had lot of good purchases and such attached to it, that goodness falls off, but hopefully a good credit card consumer has used the new card over those 10 years as wisely as the prior card, so again, no affect.

As to frequency, for the sake of the discussion in this thread, it needs done just 1 single time to seek a bank with Chip and PIN, so no bouncing around.

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/credit/closing-credit-card-good-or-bad.aspx

Edited by cle-guy

I am just curious about why you were posting in COLORED, UPPER CASE letters just yesterday that US issuers would not issue chip and PIN cards, and today you talk about having two such cards.

Could it be that you are just very proud to feel that you are better than "THE AVERAGE CUSTOMER" - and did not want the common folk to get the special cards available to you?

I do not think it is "baiting" to question absurd inconsistencies.

Wow! You are like a mangy dog with a bone, aren't you. Keep hammering. Eventually you might tire of yourself. :rolleyes:

As far as your incessant line of questioning, I stand by what I say, and I won't respond to more of your baiting.

Have a nice life!

Edited by SantaFeFan

Wow! You are like a mangy dog with a bone, aren't you. Keep hammering. Eventually you might tire of yourself. :rolleyes:

As far as your incessant line of questioning, I stand by what I say, and I won't respond to more of your baiting.

Have a nice life!

How sophisticated of you - unable to reconcile contradictory posts, you declare that you "stand by what you say" -- you might want to rationalize in your own mind how you can "stand by" two mutually exclusive statements - I, frankly, have lost interest.

Hello to all who have participated in this thread. As the person who asked the original question, I say thanks to all for providing lots of input. Very helpful.

But PLEASE let's keep this thread to the topic and not use it for what appears to be personal attacks. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, whether wrapped as facts or not. Just trying to keep the collaboration & camaraderie the priority here.

Since we're all cruisers, let's enjoy the memories from the past ones, relish in the cruise we're currently on and look forward to those in the future. Bon Voyage & Cheers to all. :)

Wells Fargo does not have a chip and pin credit card. See https://www.wellsfargo.com/chip-card/

The pin with these cards is associated with a debit card. Please supply a link to where Wells offers a chip and pin credit card. The atm/debit card is not the same thing when you get a pin.

Likewise, Citibank does not have a commercial travel card. See http://www.citibank.com/tts/card_solutions/commercial_cards/travel_entertainment/central_travel.htm

Again, where does anything say that these are chip and pin?

Where is Europe have you used these in automated machines like at a train station?

Likewise, Citibank does not have a commercial travel card. See http://www.citibank.com/tts/card_solutions/commercial_cards/travel_entertainment/central_travel.htm

Again, where does anything say that these are chip and pin?

You asked, you shall receive.

http://www.citibank.com/transactionservices/home/email/a2/misc/102349_chip_and_pin/cardholder_faq.pdf

I received an email YESTERDAY from my Apple/Barclay Mastercard, telling me I have Chip and PIN (not chip and SIGN) ability with that card as well.

Edited by cle-guy

Where is Europe have you used these in automated machines like at a train station?

I have used Chip with Pin at train stations in Sweden, Denmark and Italy

P.S In Sweden we have a city that's named Trollhättan, you could guess that some in this thread was born there... :D

You asked, you shall receive.

http://www.citibank.com/transactionservices/home/email/a2/misc/102349_chip_and_pin/cardholder_faq.pdf

I received an email YESTERDAY from my Apple/Barclay Mastercard, telling me I have Chip and PIN (not chip and SIGN) ability with that card as well.

I just went to the reference you provided --- the first line of text referred to

"payment card technology". That term, "payment card", might possibly mean credit card as well as debit card - but nowhere in the reference was the term "credit card" used.

After my long and frustrating conversation with a couple of Citi's service reps the other day - during which I was definitively told that Citi does not yet have chip and pin capability on their credit cards - I am inclined to think that absence of reference to "credit card" might just be a bit of intentional corporate bafflegab.

I just went to the reference you provided --- the first line of text referred to

"payment card technology". That term, "payment card", might possibly mean credit card as well as debit card - but nowhere in the reference was the term "credit card" used.

After my long and frustrating conversation with a couple of Citi's service reps the other day - during which I was definitively told that Citi does not yet have chip and pin capability on their credit cards - I am inclined to think that absence of reference to "credit card" might just be a bit of intentional corporate bafflegab.

All US government issued CitiBank cards, for example, are Chip and PIN, as per an executive order issued last July. This is why Citibank has chip and PIN abilities.