Porch: staying seafood or back to sandwiches?

bryanjaync

Very disappointed that the ONLY option now is at $25 per person. No longer have the Panini's they used to have at $5 and then $7 per person. I really liked the Porch on Silhouette and was looking forward to it on Reflection but not going to spend $50 for the two of us......not worth it since my husband can't eat seafood and from what I've seen/read that is now it's main focus and nothing else on the menu worth spending those $$...oh well.....back to the Mast Grill I suppose..

In another thread, it's been stated that rumor has it.....Bistro on 5 is going Sushi....so perhaps of this is true the seafood moves there fleet wide.

Who know...the rumor mill. That thread indicates several changes coming to the M class specialty venues, but no confirmation from anywhere yet.

So take this with a grain of salt for now....

I am currently on the Silhouette and The Porch is all seafood, all the time. It is not busy at all and the weather has been good, and warm since we left Rome.

While I like the concept for dinner, I don't understand why they changed from the previous menu for lunch. I think it would work better with the Panini's back at lunch & the seafood option for dinner.

I am currently on the Silhouette and The Porch is all seafood, all the time. It is not busy at all and the weather has been good, and warm since we left Rome.

While I like the concept for dinner, I don't understand why they changed from the previous menu for lunch. I think it would work better with the Panini's back at lunch & the seafood option for dinner.

Strongly agree!

I have no doubt they are looking carefully at number of covers at each dining session and average check at each, and after some time will look to see if panini's were better at lunch profitability-wise or was the seafood more profitable.

We shall soon see.

I'm with you guys and agree with this. So disappointed in losing out on lunch at the Porch. We will not pay $60.00 for lunch, the specialty restaurant fees are just getting a little too pricey for us.

• 3 months later...
In another thread, it's been stated that rumor has it.....Bistro on 5 is going Sushi....so perhaps of this is true the seafood moves there fleet wide.

Who know...the rumor mill. That thread indicates several changes coming to the M class specialty venues, but no confirmation from anywhere yet.

So take this with a grain of salt for now....

Couldn't find the thread (mentioned in the above post) that mentioned the Bistro on 5 sushi rumor, but spoke to someone today and confirmed that Bistro on 5 will switch over their menu to sushi sometime in February. This was specific to Reflection.

Couldn't find the thread (mentioned in the above post) that mentioned the Bistro on 5 sushi rumor, but spoke to someone today and confirmed that Bistro on 5 will switch over their menu to sushi sometime in February. This was specific to Reflection.

I wonder if I'll get a free sushi meal.....since I believe I was one of the first to suggest that they convert the Bistro to a sushi restaurant......

Edited by ghstudio

I wonder if I'll get a free sushi meal.....since I believe I was one of the first to suggest that they convert the Bistro to a sushi restaurant......

Wouldn't that be nice! :)

It will be anything but free for the rest of us ;) ... don't quote me on this, but a $15.00 cover charge gets you 2 rolls is what I was told.

I'll try to get a better explanation the next time I speak with my friend and report back.

Hope you are right. We are on the Reflection on Feb. 27th and would love to see a sushi venue as long as the pricing isn't too high.

Hmmm, does that mean the sushi that's available nightly in the buffet will go away? I would be extremely disappointed if that is the case! No, I think I'd be more than disappointed.

And to take it back to The Porch, we were not impressed with it in November on Silhouette.

Our plan was lunch on embarkation day. The schedule had it opening at noon. We went at noon and were told to come back at 1:00pm. We returned then and were told they wouldn't be open for lunch at all that day. And now, the ship was crowded, so the buffet was a madhouse.

We went for dinner later in the cruise.

The seafood tower was all marinated in the same way, so everything tasted the same. And the presentation was horrible. Saran wrap!

IMG_2605.JPG

IMG_2606.JPG

The "lobster roll" entree was nowhere near a real lobster roll. It was like a tunafish sandwich made with lobster. Not impressed.

But the service was great, and the salad, soup and appetizer good.

I think that Bistro on 5 becoming Japanese restaurant with sashimi, tempura, ramen noddles and sushi would be great. I have never eaten at Bistro on 5 since it opened.

We will be on Reflection in March 2016. I'm hoping to try the Porch for lunch. Is lunch normally only open on sea day?

Edited by bigbenboys
add more

Hope you are right. We are on the Reflection on Feb. 27th and would love to see a sushi venue as long as the pricing isn't too high.

I don't mind high pricing as long as it's deserved. If they charge $15 for the same quality rolls they make in silk harvest or in the buffet area, then as much as I enjoy sushi, I won't be paying $15 for them. Now if they learn how to cook and flavor the rice and toast the Nori...and use traditional raw fish...I'll become a regular....

Edited by ghstudio

I'm on Reflection on 2/20, I will be sure to report back, of course, unless someone else beats me to it. Also, as soon as I get any additional info, I will post too.

I am hoping the offerings (for a $15.00 cover) will mean sushi/sashimi, etc, are a bit more elaborate than the Oceanview offerings...??

I don't mind high pricing as long as it's deserved. If they charge $15 for the same quality rolls they make in silk harvest or in the buffet area, then as much as I enjoy sushi, I won't be paying $15 for them. Now if they learn how to cook and flavor the rice and toast the Nori...and use traditional raw fish...I'll become a regular....

Exactly. I am hoping for unique, specialty rolls and not the run of the mill tuna, California rolls... salmon, tuna, shrimp sashimi, you get my point.

At first I was thinking "ugh, another seafood restaurant?". But if they were to offer some creative vegetarian rolls, I could go for that. While I love the original offerings at Bistro on 5, I'm happy X is willing to try out new ideas to things interesting.

Exactly. I am hoping for unique, specialty rolls and not the run of the mill tuna, California rolls... salmon, tuna, shrimp sashimi, you get my point.

I get your point but would like to point out that excelling at both "fish sushi" and "roll sushi" usually doesn't happen at the same type of sushi restaurant. For American palettes, I'd guess that roll sushi priced a la carte would get more business than higher quality fish & proper preparation.

Fish sushi where it is mostly sashimi, nigiri or simple roll maki is common in Japan including high end sushi places. You won't be served a rainbow roll at a place which really prides itself on fish quality and preparation skill. There's also more modern sushi takes with michelin stars, still based on fish preparation. Some of the cheap and cheerful (or not as expensive and cheerful) places do offer value for the money sushi and have some creative combinations.

Roll sushi, with the more creative types possibly involving mayo, cream cheese, Sriracha, and the like are more of a fusion sushi. It is more common than "fish places" in the United States (in my area, run by Koreans) or associated with Brazilian sushi style.

I'm not voting on which is "better" as this really falls into personal preference and what you're hungry for. Higher quality sashimi grade fish are more expensive than mid-grades or "looks-and-tastes-like-but-isnt-as-expensive" substitute fish. High grade fish takes more effort and skill to source and prepare than what is normally included in creative rolls.

Where I think Celebrity could totally make a killing is to add a "train" type sushi boat/conveyer belt setup which is on-demand, so staff in the back only make what is ordered. It is fairly novel for the American market, like RCCL's robot bartenders, and I'd feel no qualms about popping in for a small snack or pigging out if it was a la carte as you order from a screen and not a chef/waiter. The bill is also computed automatically since each person/party has a screen. Some of the options offered are very fusion/unique or more traditional.

Edited by travelpeon

Very interesting and good read, travelpeon. Thank you for a thorough explanation.

Hell, I would be happy with something along the lines of the sushi lollipops from Qsine! I like trying things I normally wouldn't have from restaurants I frequent here or in NYC.

If it's available on my next cruise, I will definitely be checking it out and just going in with no expectations.

What I am curious about it is, with the current suite perk of Bistro on 5 being the "alternate" lunch venue on port days (vs. Luminae on sea days for lunch); will the waived "cover charge" continue to be waived....??

Hmmmmmmmmmmm...... ;)

We went for dinner later in the cruise.

The seafood tower was all marinated in the same way, so everything tasted the same. And the presentation was horrible. Saran wrap!

IMG_2605.JPG

IMG_2606.JPG

The "lobster roll" entree was nowhere near a real lobster roll. It was like a tunafish sandwich made with lobster. Not impressed.

If I was served that it would go back to the kitchen before the server could set it on the table. UCK. :eek:

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU

We will be sailing on Silhouette this Sunday. So disappointed to hear about the change in the Porch menu. We ate breakfast on the Porch most mornings on our previous cruises, loved the quietness, outdoor ocean views and Paninis. I didn't mind paying the extra charge as that was preferable to dining in the buffet with the crowds of people.