When Is It Too Early To Start Packing?

Leaving in about three weeks for a seven day cruise on Oasis. When is it too early to start packing? I'm not talking about placing a few things back or making a packing list kind of packing. I'm talking get out the big bags and and start filling them up packing.

So when do you guys start serious packing for your cruise and is three weeks too early?

We're leaving for Oasis in four weeks - so we must be on the week after you. I have company coming tomorrow for a day or two so my guest bed will be utilized. If not, I would've started packing this past weekend! So for me, i'll start next weekend.

Since we cruise in November, it's right after the seasons change. When I switch out my wardrobe from summer to winter clothes, I use my guest bed to put things that I intend to pack. As for the loading of the suitcases, I don't do that until probably a few days before we fly out.

Leaving in about three weeks for a seven day cruise on Oasis. When is it too early to start packing? I'm not talking about placing a few things back or making a packing list kind of packing. I'm talking get out the big bags and and start filling them up packing.

So when do you guys start serious packing for your cruise and is three weeks too early?

Not before I've finished my current cruise.

We usually put the suitcases out 10 days prior to departure. We put in the easy stuff the weekend prior and last minute items prior to departure. We print the packing list about 2 weeks prior to departure to see if we need anything specific that we don't currently have.

We fill up the bags the day or so prior to when we have to leave. If I do it earlier, I seem to always have to rummage through the bag to make sure some specific item made it into the bag.

I'll usually put everything aside (using a packing list) about a week prior .

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

I sail in 7 Days (Yippee) This is Cruise # 13 for me and I am still finding things I want to buy, order, etc. My clothes are hung in their own area in the closet. Suitcase is out, meds are taken care of. I will not actually load it up till a day or two prior to leaving. I have a huge "to do" list re: stuff at home, ie clean fridge, kitty litter etc. My biggest fear is forgetting my passport, I'm afraid to put it in my purse now, what if my purse gets lost...

Packing helps with the excitement of the Cruise, go for it as soon as you want to! Enjoy!

We're leaving for Oasis in four weeks - so we must be on the week after you. I have company coming tomorrow for a day or two so my guest bed will be utilized. If not, I would've started packing this past weekend! So for me, i'll start next weekend.

Since we cruise in November, it's right after the seasons change. When I switch out my wardrobe from summer to winter clothes, I use my guest bed to put things that I intend to pack. As for the loading of the suitcases, I don't do that until probably a few days before we fly out.

Our guest bed is always in use. Our Great Dane Ginger considers it to be her favorite place for taking naps.

I bet she won't like seeing the suitcases.

It doesn't seem to upset her. We board her at our vets and she likes it there. It's a family place and they treat her special. Still, she'll be glad to see us when we get back. I do bet she'd enjoy the buffet on the cruise much better. She's tall enough to serve herself. She's too polite to do that but she is a foodie.

If I'm traveling to a destination with a climate that's in the opposite of the one I'm leaving (Caribbean in January, Alaska in August), I choose the clothing I want to take with me when I put that season's clothes away. Everything goes in a bin marked "Cruise."

I also have another bin marked "Travel" that contains the things I only use on vacation: over-the-door cosmetic bag, travel curling iron, detergent sheets, travel journal, packing cubes. Only takes a few minutes to go through and determine what I'll need on this trip.

I also have a very comprehensive check list for both of us to ensure we don't forget anything.

Actual packing is done the day before we leave. DH, OTOH, starts laying out his choices 2-3 weeks ahead of time.

Guess who invariably forgets something.

Edited by NewSalt

Mine is 3 weeks from today. I am late with my packing. I usualy start a month out.

It doesn't seem to upset her. We board her at our vets and she likes it there. It's a family place and they treat her special. Still, she'll be glad to see us when we get back. I do bet she'd enjoy the buffet on the cruise much better. She's tall enough to serve herself. She's too polite to do that but she is a foodie.

I could see her now, helping herself to all that she desires. We used to take our dog to the vet as well when she was alive. It sounds like your vet is great, just like our old one.

Wow! You guys are nuts. I love looking forward to a vacation, but we pack the night before. Maybe set a couple things aside while doing laundry two or three days before...

I hate it when I forget the stuff I need.

Wow! You guys are nuts. I love looking forward to a vacation, but we pack the night before. Maybe set a couple things aside while doing laundry two or three days before...

There might be a strong correlation between cruisers that live in cold weather climates and those that pack early.:D

I might start getting stuff together, but I never place it IN the suitcase until the night prior to leaving....stuff gets really creased if you do it too soon.

It's much easier to "pack early" if the clothes you're taking are things you aren't wearing now! For instance, going to a hot climate in your wintertime!

We leave October 31st on oasis and we have had our suitcases laid out for a couple weeks now... The carry on bag with the toiletries refilled, Halloween costumes etc has been packed for a few weeks. Every time I find something I need I throw it into a big suitcase and I will probably sort everything out and officially pack this week or next now that the dry cleaning is done. Getting very excited, we have a group of nine and will be celebrating our sons third birthday as it is on Halloween. Woo!!!!

We leave October 31st on oasis and we have had our suitcases laid out for a couple weeks now... The carry on bag with the toiletries refilled, Halloween costumes etc has been packed for a few weeks. Every time I find something I need I throw it into a big suitcase and I will probably sort everything out and officially pack this week or next now that the dry cleaning is done. Getting very excited, we have a group of nine and will be celebrating our sons third birthday as it is on Halloween. Woo!!!!

BIRTHDAY ON HALLOWE'EN!!! I am sooooo jealous.