If you're sailing soon, prepare for COLD weather!

DrivesLikeMario

I have friends on an Elbe River cruise right now and they've said they're experiencing extremely cold weather in Germany. They're used to gnarly cold weather and still, they're having a hard time dealing with it. If you're heading out soon, prepare for snow and unseasonably cold temps. Check your weather before you leave and pack plenty of warm layers. ;)

Thanks, Oh great, we're going in December, yikes. Figures, my first river cruise and first time in Europe and I'll be too cold to explore!

No need to worry yet! I sailed the Seine 12/13 and it was 50 in Paris, pretty chilly in Normandy, but not bone chilling! I sailed the Rhine last year from December 13-23, and was never uncomfortable. But weather is somewhat unpredictable! This year I'm going on the Danube starting around November 9 and I plan to be prepared for whatever happens.

No need to worry yet! I sailed the Seine 12/13 and it was 50 in Paris, pretty chilly in Normandy, but not bone chilling! I sailed the Rhine last year from December 13-23, and was never uncomfortable. But weather is somewhat unpredictable! This year I'm going on the Danube starting around November 9 and I plan to be prepared for whatever happens.

thank you, hopefully the weather will change and warm up? We might be from the North but we've lived in Florida too long that our blood must have thinned, lol. amazing how soon one forgets how cold the winter is but I'm still so excited about going! We recently watched a show on Travel channel called Amazing Cruises(or something called that?) and they has an episode about river cruising thru Germany in December. Wish I remembered the cruise line, but it looked wonderful. Watching the passengers on walking tours made it looked do-able but ack! now there's reports of extreme cold??? I better wear 2 pairs of long underwear, lol.

We sailed the Rhine over New Years year and had tons of gorgeous snow! It was a fairy tale.

We have experienced very cold weather in Germany and Austria in late November, and some years not so much. You really can never predict.

Must have beautiful, was it snowing while you were walking around? I hope we get some snow, esp. when we have no worries about shoveling it About 20 years ago when I lived in New York, we had a Blizzard hit us. I had to push my way thru 3.5 feet of snow just to take my dog out who wanted to use outside facilities(it was funny watching my dog hop thru it) and then having to shovel the snow off my car that was completely covered with snow made worse after the street was plowed, taking 2 days and that was only the front portion of it.

Believe me it wasn't magical or Fairy tale-ish :D

Cold indeed, yesterday evening I was told that there had been some sightings during the day of cars in the valley that had come down from the hills - which takes 20 to 40 mins depending on where you live - that still had snow on the roof when they parked in riverside town nearby.

It is going to brighten up a little towards the weekend but yes, from now on depending on where you go you may well encounter snow during your river cruise trip in Germany.

notamermaid

Must have beautiful, was it snowing while you were walking around? I hope we get some snow, esp. when we have no worries about shoveling it About 20 years ago when I lived in New York, we had a Blizzard hit us. I had to push my way thru 3.5 feet of snow just to take my dog out who wanted to use outside facilities(it was funny watching my dog hop thru it) and then having to shovel the snow off my car that was completely covered with snow made worse after the street was plowed, taking 2 days and that was only the front portion of it.

Believe me it wasn't magical or Fairy tale-ish :D

We live in FL and both grew up in the northeast. Much nicer to choose cold weather now and not have to worry about shoveling or driving in it.

We had over 10 inches in Basel and it snowed the entire time we were there - very unusual in that area. Snow was on the ground in Colmar, which was STUNNING, and we had flurries that day as well. By the time we arrived in Strasbourg, it was on the ground but not new snow. Same for Heidelberg.

It was the perfect kind of snow. Not slushy, just white and powdery. Really magical!

A lot of people have been hoping and praying for rain on the Danube and Elbe. I guess snow will work to raise the levels just as well! I know I'd rather have snow than a ship swap or bussing!

Snow will not help the river levels much, if it stays cold then the snow remains. If the snow melts, the snow to water equivalent is a ratio of about 10:1, so 10cm snow equates to 1 cm water.

I don´t know what you mean with "extremly cold weather". The temps are normal for fall. We didn´t even had any snow this week (other parts of Germany did). We´re still above freezing point (o.k. in some areas it might go down during the night).

Currently it´s raining in Munich. The river levels on the Danube river are normal (no low water warning anymore). The Elbe river has gotten some water over the last 36 hours too. It´s currently 113 cm at Dresden. But that can change pretty fast. Anyway the forecast has more rain showing for the next few days.

steamboats

I don´t know what you mean with "extremly cold weather". The temps are normal for fall. We didn´t even had any snow this week (other parts of Germany did). We´re still above freezing point (o.k. in some areas it might go down during the night).

Currently it´s raining in Munich. The river levels on the Danube river are normal (no low water warning anymore). The Elbe river has gotten some water over the last 36 hours too. It´s currently 113 cm at Dresden. But that can change pretty fast. Anyway the forecast has more rain showing for the next few days.

steamboats

I think temperature is relative to some people. We are currently at 32 degrees (freezing) where I live (Nebraska). This is fall - a transition month where the month goes from warm to freezing and we have even had ice and snow storms this month in the past.

I just looked up Munich and their overnight temps were 32 F, same as ours. They are going to be 40's and 50' the rest of the week for high. Sounds like October to me.

We just wear a fleece jacket for 30's and 40's (F) as this isn't cold for us.

Edited by Coral

I think temperature is relative to some people. We are currently at 32 degrees (freezing) where I live (Nebraska). This is fall - a transition month where the month goes from warm to freezing and we have even had ice and snow storms this month in the past.

I just looked up Munich and their overnight temps were 32 F, same as ours. They are going to be 40's and 50' the rest of the week for high. Sounds like October to me.

We just wear a fleece jacket for 30's and 40's (F) as this isn't cold for us.

I think it is ALWAYS relative. 30s for me would be a down coat, scarf, gloves and boots.:)

And a winter day here is 75 degrees. Cannot wait for that as it is still mid to high 80s.

I think it is ALWAYS relative. 30s for me would be a down coat, scarf, gloves and boots.:)

And a winter day here is 75 degrees. Cannot wait for that as it is still mid to high 80s.

This sounds like typical fall weather in Europe and for most of the US. I wore a light jacket this morning to work and it was under 40 F.

Edited by Coral

I think if you go in July and August -- expect high temps. If you go in October -- expect possible freezing temperatures at night and snow. If you go in December -- expect winter. If you go in the spring --- expect rain. I just looked at Germany's weather right now and there is nothing that surprises me. It is normal temperatures for Germany in October.

They used to say that you should avoid controversial topics like politics and religion, and stay with safe things like the weather. So how did this thread get so rude about the weather? Lighten up folks!

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

steamboats

They said it is unusually cold and they're used to 8-10' of snow. I guess it has to do with the humidity. I don't quite understand how you can have humid cold weather, but I guesseveryone is commenting on it on the cruise - crew and passengers alike. This was about 3 days ago so it may have changed very recently. I'm hoping things warm up for them but with snow expected, I don't know.

I think it's just a weird cold snap - kind-of like the weird record-heat we had in August in Europe. I just wanted to warn those that are traveling very soon to be prepared.

You just never know what you're going to get with weather anymore. December could end up being warmer. I think a lot has to do with the wind too. When it's windy and cold, it's so much worse than when it's calm and cold.

They said it is unusually cold and they're used to 8-10' of snow. I guess it has to do with the humidity. I don't quite understand how you can have humid cold weather...

Go to New Orleans in January. One year as I walked from the plane to the Jetway, it was 40 degrees (F) but I could definitely feel the humidity!