Which Ships have Rolled Out the New Internet Plans

boze9999

My first priority has to do with the Zuiderdam - Does anyone know the CURRENT internet pricing plans on the Zuiderdam? I just spoke with ship services and the HAL representative told me that Carnival/HAL did NOT have any plans other than the old, slow and expensive (my words) plan they have always had. In light of the recent press releases, one would think Ship Services would be given an updated internet plan status for each ship.

Well, this story would lead you to believe the new "hybrid" plans are available now on Zuiderdam:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6515

But someone who has been on it recently can probably inform us further.

Exactly what I referenced to Ship Services. (thanks for adding the link again)

Since they wouldn't acknowledge the new plans, I thought it best to find out from individuals sailing different ships!

Exactly what I referenced to Ship Services. (thanks for adding the link again)

Since they wouldn't acknowledge the new plans, I thought it best to find out from individuals sailing different ships!

Zuiderdam is in Europe right now so there may not be many CC'ers that have sailed on it since the new plans started testing. It's due back to Ft Lauderdale on Nov 9th so perhaps once it returns and starts it's Winter sailings to the Caribbean and the Canal, there will be a few more folks here that can report. :)

Hybrid plan is $249 for the cruise unlimited. Social Media plan on Westerdam is $99 unlimited for the top tier.

Quite a difference there. Good reason to stay with our favorite ship- Westerdam.

Edited by frankc98376

Hybrid plan is $249 for the cruise unlimited. Social Media plan on Westerdam is $99 unlimited for the top tier.

Quite a difference there. Good reason to stay with our favorite ship- Westerdam.

The social media plan baffles me. It's going to use more bandwidth than the email & web mid-tier plan, but less than the streaming plan. I'd gladly pick a plan that allowed web & e-mail but restricted the TweetySpaceBookSnapgram. It's like they hate the workin' man.

Thanks

Guess I will just have to pay by the minute ..just need to check in for the flight home

Lyn

... you might consider the Luggage Direct service (if it's available for your flight/airline) which includes check-in and Boarding Pass ... just a thought ...

... you might consider the Luggage Direct service (if it's available for your flight/airline) which includes check-in and Boarding Pass ... just a thought ...

It is not available for us

Internet will be cheaper in the long run :D

I’m curious about using an Online Banking App aboard the ms Rotterdam. I know there are various Internet Plans and am curious if I will be able to make Mobile Deposits, etc. on board. Anyone had experience with this?

Thanks in advance!

I’m curious about using an Online Banking App aboard the ms Rotterdam. I know there are various Internet Plans and am curious if I will be able to make Mobile Deposits, etc. on board. Anyone had experience with this?

Thanks in advance!

Using the old plan, I have been making banking deposits from HAL ships for years. With the new system, I imagine it would take the middle level of internet access.

I have been not only moving funds between different bank accounts and buying and selling stocks, but also taking photos of checks and depositing them into accounts.

It usually took me only a few minutes on line for each transaction. No problem. Of course I always do it late at night when the ship internet usage is low

Scott & Karen

Using the old plan, I have been making banking deposits from HAL ships for years. With the new system, I imagine it would take the middle level of internet access.

I have been not only moving funds between different bank accounts and buying and selling stocks, but also taking photos of checks and depositing them into accounts.

It usually took me only a few minutes on line for each transaction. No problem. Of course I always do it late at night when the ship internet usage is low

Scott & Karen

I would be very careful about putting this information out over a public network. You might check into some supplemental encryption. There are all sorts of keystroke logging programs and other nasty apps that can capture your account numbers and private data. Be careful.

I would be very careful about putting this information out over a public network. You might check into some supplemental encryption. There are all sorts of keystroke logging programs and other nasty apps that can capture your account numbers and private data. Be careful.

Thanks for the warning and yes, I am aware of all sorts of nasty things out there. Most financial institutions have their own secure internet systems and except for these, I do not understand how supplemental encryption would work when I am communicating with banks and stock brokerage houses. I am also aware that I have no intention of living my life in fear.

In the last ten years my credit cards have been compromised twice (neither due to any action on my part,) and I have lost absolutely nothing.

As far as I’m concerned, by far the greatest financial protection I have on the internet is an excellent credit rating. With a FICO score well over 800, if anything improper happens, I simply say so and the banks and brokerage houses believe me. No problem.

I am cruising on HAL ships typically more than six months a year and I need to conduct my normal investing business. The internet is my vehicle of choice.

But again, thank you for your concern.

Scott & Karen

My first priority has to do with the Zuiderdam - Does anyone know the CURRENT internet pricing plans on the Zuiderdam? I just spoke with ship services and the HAL representative told me that Carnival/HAL did NOT have any plans other than the old, slow and expensive (my words) plan they have always had. In light of the recent press releases, one would think Ship Services would be given an updated internet plan status for each ship.

We are onboard Zuiderdam now. 26 days Athens to FLL. The old by the minute plans are in effect now. I paid $250 for 1000 minutes. In November we had unlimited on this ship on a Panama Canal cruise. Librarian told me that's not offered on the longer cruises. Speed has been pretty good depending on the time of day.

Jim

We are onboard Zuiderdam now. 26 days Athens to FLL. The old by the minute plans are in effect now. I paid $250 for 1000 minutes. In November we had unlimited on this ship on a Panama Canal cruise. Librarian told me that's not offered on the longer cruises. Speed has been pretty good depending on the time of day.

Jim

Thanks Jim. I appreciate your post although it's not what I wanted to hear. I can't understand why they won't offer it on longer cruises - they can certainly modify it according to number of cruise days - much like the beverage option. The "by the minute" plan is so frustrating - especially when minutes get wasted when out on the seas with slow up/down speeds.

Edited by boze9999

This is perfectly safe to do using the Internet. The majority of information breaches are a result of a financial or other institution being compromised, people giving away their own info to phishing scams, or info being stolen when you hand your card over to a server, store clerk, etc.

Thanks in advance!

I think you are talking about the apps for ipad or smart phones and not the regular internet banking that Cave Diving is referring to?

Yes, they should work as well. There might be a delay in uploading your picture that you take of your deposit - that would be the only issue I would see.

I use on line banking on board as well for certain things and to watch my accounts and all has been good. My bank site is 100% guaranteed as long as I follow the proper procedure - I am sure most are.

Some financial institutions need to be notified if you are travelling - do check to make sure your can use your bank card if needed and if there is an issue.

Edited by kazu

Jim

I wonder what the cutoff is for a "longer cruise". We had the unlimited package on a 20 day repositioning cruise this year.

I wonder what the cutoff is for a "longer cruise". We had the unlimited package on a 20 day repositioning cruise this year.

My guess is that it has to do with whether or not you're in range of the new ground stations and enhanced satellites that they've deployed to support the new, high-speed Internet.

The social media plan baffles me. It's going to use more bandwidth than the email & web mid-tier plan, but less than the streaming plan. I'd gladly pick a plan that allowed web & e-mail but restricted the TweetySpaceBookSnapgram. It's like they hate the workin' man.

Maybe they're trying to appeal to a younger demographic?

Email is my primary need when I travel, and maybe some port research if a question comes up. But I don't facetweet, so the social media plan wouldn't appeal to me.

I've been away from cruising for the last 2 years, so this is great to hear! My business (author) relies on the Internet to keep in touch with readers, advertising, uploading books, etc, so having unlimited Internet is vital. Here's to hoping it'll be available on the Eurodam in Dec. If not, I'll still use the other kind, but unlimited would be nice.

Thanks for the updates!

I've been away from cruising for the last 2 years, so this is great to hear! My business (author) relies on the Internet to keep in touch with readers, advertising, uploading books, etc, so having unlimited Internet is vital. Here's to hoping it'll be available on the Eurodam in Dec. If not, I'll still use the other kind, but unlimited would be nice.

Thanks for the updates!

I think you'll be in luck. You're post dry dock, so odds are that they'll have the new system in place. It really is like night and day.