That's Expensive!

Pandacruisers

I was looking to book a cruise for Sept 16 on the Eclipse. The price quoted by the Celebrity website is £7500 for an aqua cabin for two for a cruise to the Western Med. And that is supposedly with one guest travelling half price!!

We went to the Baltic on Eclipse this year and it only cost us £5400 for an aqua cabin, classic drinks included and $300 spend.

Anybody else getting silly quotes? :(

I agree that the prices seem much higher than last year's listed prices however I'm taking into account that the original prices are in US$ and then converted to Cdn or UK prices....our dollar is not nearly as close as it was last year so our Canadian site shows the converted price which is definitely not as good or attractive. Can that be the reason you're also seeing higher prices? Is the pound not as close to the US$ as last year?

I think it is the impact of the get one half price deal. There are only 2 A2 cabins left on 3rd September 16 cruise. I wouldn't pay the amount you quoted. You would be better booking a balcony and if you wanted specialty restaurants either do a package or the unlimited dinning thing. Alternatively you may need to look at doing the Reflection or Silhouette. You can get the Silhouette 8/10/16 in an A1 for £3,525 plus flights including drinks package out of Rome. Flights could be around £900 for flights (that is what mine's are)

We were on board the Eclipse last week and a couple we met asked future cruises for a Celebrity suite or above, out of Southampton for the whole summer of 2016 and there were none available.

I wouldn't pay that either. Only two A2s left and the price is inflated. The one after it (ok it's the Canaries so not quite the same cruise type) is £2,500 cheaper. No flying and offers are nice, but.....

Was it a "Best" style fair where all the extras were added into the base fair?

Looking at the post it quotes in £££s so I suspect the OP is in the UK, therefore Big, Better, Best doesn't apply (for now at least),

Phil

I was looking to book a cruise for Sept 16 on the Eclipse. The price quoted by the Celebrity website is £7500 for an aqua cabin for two for a cruise to the Western Med. And that is supposedly with one guest travelling half price!!

We went to the Baltic on Eclipse this year and it only cost us £5400 for an aqua cabin, classic drinks included and $300 spend.

I'd suggest waiting till about May next year!

This time last year a 2C / 2D on this years Eclipse Western Med Cruise (so about 11 months ahead) was about £5500 with OBC + Drinks Package. We waited - "offers" kept coming and going with supposed limited availability - book soon before it's too late warnings... Prices didn't drop below about £4200 with 1 extra (OBC or Drinks Package).

Then... about May - Most UK TA's and Celebrity cut prices to £2000 (for 2) for a Guaranteed Balcony (no perks) - £1000 LESS than last year.

The Med is expensive!! We booked for next May (12 nights) whilst on board the Infinity this April. The difference between Aqua and Balcony was over £800, so for that difference we picked Balcony (the first time on X as we normally choose Aqua), since that will pay for a lot of speciality dining plus extras :). For the same money we have booked a 17 night Singapore to Abu Dhabi in Aqua (with the full works) in 2017!!!!! I recently checked the buy one, one goes half price for the Med trip and it worked out the same cost with the benefits (drinks package, OBC) but we may not have got the same cabin and may have had to lose our deposit if we re-booked (not that we would have anyway!!). It's supply and demand, the Med cruises are popular and so X can charge a premium for them

I have always found X's Europe pricing to be extremely expensive overall, but deals do pop up. As to your quote, i would never pay that even if I was wealthy. There are limits as to what is reasonable to me; however, there are obviously others who think differently, as they seem to sell out their sailings.

Thanks for all the replies everybody. I think we will leave this cruise for now and see if any deals come up. I have been reviewing other cruises and contemplating the transatlantic in October 16. But they don't seem to offer a drinks package although almost every other Caribbean cruise does get offered. I guess its because there are six straight sea days!

Has anybody completed the transatlantic cruise and is it worth it or do you get stir-crazy having six sea days?

Sorry for questions but as you can guess I am in planning mode but not getting very far! :)

Personally I love the sea days, but they aren't for everyone. I guess you need to decide for yourself if it's something you'd like to try. If it is then give it a go. There are usually plenty of activities to keep you occupied if you want to or just relax and enjoy the ship. The re-positioning cruises such as these are priced lower. As a first off try one which has a few European ports included, whether at the start or end depending upon which way the cruise goes. Toward the US lots of 25 hour days which is nice. Going toward European, a number of 23 hour days. If you like a sunny balcony (if it is sunny!) then port side for a westbound and starboard for an eastbound so that you are facing south.

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

I just find Celebrity cruises out of Southampton very expensive. I guess they are just hugely popular given there are no flights involved and I know the Eclipse is a massive hit with Brit cruisers. Even looking at their cruise on the 15th September 2016, £4800 for the same cabin cat we paid £2770 for this November in the Caribbean, same sort of length just a day different, and the same ship and that cruise to the canaries has tons of cabins left. Celebrity getting every penny out of folks with some of this pricing.

I just find Celebrity cruises out of Southampton very expensive. I guess they are just hugely popular given there are no flights involved and I know the Eclipse is a massive hit with Brit cruisers. Even looking at their cruise on the 15th September 2016, £4800 for the same cabin cat we paid £2770 for this November in the Caribbean, same sort of length just a day different, and the same ship and that cruise to the canaries has tons of cabins left. Celebrity getting every penny out of folks with some of this pricing.

It really depends on when you book as prices can vary enormously. We booked when the buy one get one half price just started for the 17th Sep2016 (not 15th) and got a 2B balcony for £1450 pp incl classic drinks package. That's now £2100. Flexible pricing means demand can affect prices enormously.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the replies everybody. I think we will leave this cruise for now and see if any deals come up. I have been reviewing other cruises and contemplating the transatlantic in October 16. But they don't seem to offer a drinks package although almost every other Caribbean cruise does get offered. I guess its because there are six straight sea days!

Has anybody completed the transatlantic cruise and is it worth it or do you get stir-crazy having six sea days?

Sorry for questions but as you can guess I am in planning mode but not getting very far! :)

We did an eastbound transatlantic a couple of years back on Royal Caribbean who were giving a drinks package at that time. We loved it. Yes you lose some hours but the days are so relaxing. It's a strange feeling joining the ship and knowing you are coming home from day 1. We would love to do a westbound but they keep getting later each year and are now usually mid Nov.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How many days?

Out of sheer curiosity, I checked the cruise I am taking next year to see what the current prices are like. Not including the taxes, etc., but with 2 perks, it's about $90 less than what I paid for with 3 perks. So once you start putting in insurance and ports fees, it'll be considerably more expensive, but with 1 less perk.

So very glad I booked when I did! :)

We always book standard balconies and never pay more than $350/couple/day. Usually we can keep it around $300. If more than $350 we keep looking. Exceptions were our last Alaskan cruise tour on HAL and of course river cruises. Haven't done Europe in 2 years so we might be surprised