Booked 515 day out & waitlisted?

cjmayes51

Just booked a 3/19/17 Eclipse cruise this past weekend - got confirmation from my TA yesterday and we are waitlisted for the 6:00PM Dinner Seating. Does that seem a little odd this far out or maybe people are just booking further out now- I can live with second seating as we have done that on 90% of the previous cruises we have been on, but with the itinerary of this cruise and being on a number of islands until midnight or later I hoped to eat dinner and head back to the islands for a few hours. Is this normal now? Charlie:confused:

This has been going on for years, no one can explain it but most seem to think it has to do with Celebrity going to all time Select Dining. We have always preferred early dining and on our last three cruises we have been wait listed but eventually got early dining. I don't know why Celebrity does this but I'm sure this thread will open up a discussion.

J.

I would disagree that most think it’s some plot to go to all-time Select dining as the reasons for traditional dining being full this far in advance are well-documented: TAs may have slots held for group bookings, people who have already made reservations have already claimed the available slots, Celebrity may hold slots for people who will be booking later, and, due to the way the billing system works, people who are assigned to Blu or Luminae also have a slot reserved in traditional dining. The universal experience is that if you wait, you can usually get booked into whichever slot you prefer. Bookings will come and go, especially as the cruise gets closer. You can also plead your case once you are onboard and usually get moved to your preferred time by the second or third night.

Bottom line: you'll just have to wait. This far out chances are very good that you'll be off the waitlist sooner rather than later.

I would disagree that most think it’s some plot to go to all-time Select dining as the reasons for traditional dining being full this far in advance are well-documented: TAs may have slots held for group bookings, people who have already made reservations have already claimed the available slots, Celebrity may hold slots for people who will be booking later, and, due to the way the billing system works, people who are assigned to Blu or Luminae also have a slot reserved in traditional dining. The universal experience is that if you wait, you can usually get booked into whichever slot you prefer. Bookings will come and go, especially as the cruise gets closer. You can also plead your case once you are onboard and usually get moved to your preferred time by the second or third night.

Bottom line: you'll just have to wait. This far out chances are very good that you'll be off the waitlist sooner rather than later.

So your suggested logic is that 'Celebrity may hold slots for people who may be booking later' meaning that someone who is an actual customer is denied MDR seating confirmation so that someone, lets say 90 days after the OP booked, could get MDR seating slots held for them even if they are not going to use them?!

I agree there could be a large group booked and TA has grabbed a chunk of seating for the group, but still find it hard to believe that there is NOT a method to this issue of Select dining and also having to prepay gratuities at final payment.

I have heard that Celebrity does hold back some seating for MDR to fix issues that arise and they need some seating to be able to fix issues as they arise.

I would be willing to bet the system is driving people to Select Dining, so I guess I agree with OP.

Edited by shipshape sam

So your suggested logic is that 'Celebrity may hold slots for people who may be booking later' meaning that someone who is an actual customer is denied MDR seating confirmation so that someone, lets say 90 days after the OP booked, could get MDR seating slots held for them even if they are not going to use them?!

It's been proffered as a reason by others--not necessarily to save room for future bookings, though. More along the lines of what you suggested about keeping a population out of circulation to fix issues or any other myriad reasons. Others have suggested that they only make a certain number of slots available for early bookers. No one really knows the logic, but there are people who are able to book traditional dining in advance, so it's not a ploy to force everyone into Select. It is just a by-product of their booking system.

515 days out...you'll get your preferred dining. I believe it's just a quirk in the Celebrity booking system that closes out early dining so far out. Whatever the reason, I'd bet my house that you'll ultimately be moved into your preferred dining well before final payment.

I've ran into this issue frequently (being forced to go with Select over Traditional). This past week we put down a deposit on a May 2016 cruise and within 2-3 days of paying the deposit, the wait list for Traditional cleared. That's been my experience time and time again. Don't stress over it. Just wait list yourself and monitor your booking on line on the Celebrity website.

I booked 2 years in advance. I got select. Could Celebrity be giving up traditional dining? I like select and don't mind paying tip ahead. I have been in select many times and it has advantages. Flexible time, size or table, location, and quick service. For those people who want to use OBC for tips, pay up. You can reorganize the tip payment when you are on the ship.

My wife and I prefer a set dining time. It's one of those things we enjoy about cruising in having a set time, having the same people at your table, and making friends along the way. And while I am an extremely outgoing personality and generally wouldn't mind meeting different people every night, my wife is uncomfortable in those types of situations. If this is the way Celebrity decides to go, I'll never get my wife on another cruise!