Big Announcement coming soon (Week of 10/26?)

InTheWASide

Uh, Mr. Asford, who are you trying to kid? Perceived? Hahahaha! All those electric scooters charging up every night in the elevator areas aren't part of the ship's artwork. ;)

<snip>.

Maybe they will announce a special scooter parkade for storage and charging up overnight, and scooter valets to deliver them in the mornings.:D

[/b]I think he better be careful that one of these days, around the corner, is a scooter with any of our names on it. But for the Grace of God anyone may need one of those scooters to get from bed to bath. :eek: I am totally able bodied but so respect those who travel and cruise and get out and about despite their limitations and disabilities. I find no humor in anyone's disability.

JMO ....

Thank you - one of the best posts ever. Scooters (and wheel chairs, rollators, walkers, etc.) enable people to enjoy life and activities they would otherwise miss, leaving them pretty much house bound. I don't know anyone who uses an ambulatory device that has an easy time of it, and so agree with your kudos to them.

I don't know anyone who signed some list asking they become disabled.... they didn't request their circumstance and anyone who thinks they have some guarantee in life it won't be them or someone they love one day, should perhaps give that another 'think'.

So, No... I do not think the big announcement will involve people with disabilities and humor about their mobility devices.

Be well everyone and stay safe.

Edited by sail7seas

[/b]

I think he better be careful that one of these days, around the corner, is a scooter with any of our names on it. But for the Grace of God anyone may need one of those scooters to get from bed to bath. :eek: I am totally able bodied but so respect those who travel and cruise and get out and about despite their limitations and disabilities. I find no humor in anyone's disability.

JMO ....

So very, very true! I had some minor mobility issues for about a year and relate a very little bit with what some people have to deal with. Good for them for getting out and about.

Maybe they will announce a special scooter parkade for storage and charging up overnight, and scooter valets to deliver them in the mornings.:D

That would be funny. :D

Funny story....a few nights ago in the Crows Nest for Happy Hour, DW and I sat next to 2 sweet old ladies on scooters. We got to talking and joking around....things like, they asked if we were signed up for Club HAL and we asked if they let their husbands ride in their baskets. :D Anyways, they said they wanted to get a bunch of other scooter drivers together and organize a parade around the promenade. They wanted to decorate their scooters.

Maybe thats the announcement....scooter parades. ;)

I actually feel sorry for those who can't find humor in things, especially in ourselves!

That would be funny. :D

Funny story....a few nights ago in the Crows Nest for Happy Hour, DW and I sat next to 2 sweet old ladies on scooters. We got to talking and joking around....things like, they asked if we were signed up for Club HAL and we asked if they let their husbands ride in their baskets. :D Anyways, they said they wanted to get a bunch of other scooter drivers together and organize a parade around the promenade. They wanted to decorate their scooters.

Maybe thats the announcement....scooter parades. ;)

I actually feel sorry for those who can't find humor in things, especially in ourselves!

Thanks for sharing this!!

google: Orlando Ashford under "news" and look for the Sun-Sentinel.com one.

This worked for me.

Worked for me too. Here's what I think are the relevant parts of the interview:

The cruise line is expected Thursday to make a major announcement about other features on the way.

"It's not that we're doing something completely different. It's just that we're doing it a little bit bigger," Ashford said.

One message that Holland America, often perceived as a cruise line for older people, hopes to convey is that "it's less about age and more about attitude," Ashford said.

"It's about telling our story [of cruising in a classic style], in an exciting way."

We recently sailed with RCL and while it was a very nice cruise I missed some of the things I have learned to expect when cruising HAL. I missed the lotion in my stateroom (only suites and above on RCL), I missed my chocolates on the bed along with the next day's activities at the end of the day, I missed the tiles, and the inexpensive but useful shopping bag. I missed the wonderful towel animals that get more complex each day. I missed the Cruise Log that I have learned to expect at the end of my cruise. I missed the helpful locations information and lectures. I missed the friendly and efficient stateroom attendants that I have gotten used to on HAL. I missed the peaceful promenade deck. I REALLY missed my stockholder OBC!

And I missed the Library full of wonderful books and resource information and the little NY Times newsletter keeping us up to date on world issues.

What a lovely post! Thank you for showing the uniqueness (sp?) of HAL.

I don't know anyone who signed some list asking they become disabled.... they didn't request their circumstance and anyone who thinks they have some guarantee in life it won't be them or someone they love one day, should perhaps give that another 'think'.

So, No... I do not think the big announcement will involve people with disabilities and humor about their mobility devices.

Be well everyone and stay safe.

Thank you Sail! I too find the joking about those with disabilities & scooters distasteful! :(

"There, but for the Grace of God, Go I"

Edited by serendipity1499

Perceived? Its got a stigma attached that its the Retirement Village. Whether rightly or wrongly.

Of course it is wrong. I doubt if the average on Celebrity is any difference.... depending length of cruise... many other factors.

Edited by Topsham

What a lovely post! Thank you for showing the uniqueness (sp?) of HAL.

Thank you Sail! I too find the joking about those with disabilities & scooters distasteful! :(

"There, but for the Grace of God, Go I"

Actually, my DH - who is mobility challenged - also has a sense of humour. And he thought the idea of a scooter garage was pretty good.:D

Of course it is wrong. I doubt if the average on Celebrity is any difference.... depending length of cruise... many other factors.

I'm no expert, but having sailed 7 Celebrity cruises and 3 HAL cruises....both in Alaska, both in the Caribbean and both in Europe, I can say from my own experience the average Celebrity cruiser is definitely younger than HAL. Not a generation younger, but still younger.

Although, there's nothing wrong with that, so I don't know why anyone would get offended by it. :confused:

I'm no expert, but having sailed 7 Celebrity cruises and 3 HAL cruises....both in Alaska, both in the Caribbean and both in Europe, I can say from my own experience the average Celebrity cruiser is definitely younger than HAL. Not a generation younger, but still younger.

Although, there's nothing wrong with that, so I don't know why anyone would get offended by it. :confused:

As you say. Nothing wrong with it. You can sit on the Crows Nest every night and you might think... a young crowd. If you sit in the Crows Nest all day... an older crowd. It just doesn't matter. Unless you ask the Purser to give me the breakdown of age for the cruise... they would no... and probably not even tell you!

You can find young cruisers who love HAL and you can find a lot of seniors who swear by Carnival. Again... who cares.

The cruise with the most "mobility impaired" passengers that I've ever taken was on Princess, a Mexican Riviera cruise. By contrast, most HAL cruises have barely noticeable scooter brigades.

Thinking the same thing as I read this. Only ten Princess cruises for my opinion, but I'd say at least 15 to 20 times as many scooters on princess compared to HAL.

Anyone consider that we might be getting a 'godfather' for Koningsdam?

YES< Actually I had exactly that conversation last night with a fellow HAL/CC'er. :)

King Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands, of course, was who we had in mind. ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

King Willem-Alexander will be christening Koningsdam. And from what I know will be the godfather.

Has HAL officially announced this?

Where is the Christening? Rotterdam?

Edited by sail7seas