To upgrade or not to upgrade....

MerriWthr

.... that is the question!

We (29yo daughter) and I are on the T'giving sailing on the Oasis. We are booked in a D2 cabin on the forward hump on deck 11. In checking the prices, we could upgrade to a JR Suite on a lower deck (I think 7 or 9) for a few hundred dollars total.

Is it worth it??

What say the experts??

We do spend some time in the cabin - we both like to relax and visit with each other on our cruise vacation since our jobs are extremely hectic and we don't see each other much. But we were quite comfortable on our last cruise in a D2 cabin.

I'm wondering if there is anything else that I should consider or know about before taking a pass on the upgrade.....

Help!!

Michelle

Edited by MerriWthr

The way you describe yourselves and your lives, I'd upgrade if in budget. It's a holiday cruise and a nice time together. You'll have extra space, a tub (I think...somebody correct me if I'm wrong) and double loyalty points.

If you said you spent little time in cabin and such, I would answer differently.

If by "a few hundred" you mean less than $400 total, then I would do it if you are on a 7-day or longer cruise. Especially because I dislike the layout and storage of Oasis class "D" staterooms so much.

I would upgrade...I had a JS and a D2 on the hump for both cabins deck 8 reserved and gave it up in February. It would have been $3,000 for DH and I. Now the same cabin is $5,000. So mad I didn't book it and not the D2 hump. We do spend more time in the cabin especially the balcony. And we have 4 adult kids with us so the JS would be nice when having others in the cabin. Book the JS and enjoy!

We also like the easy/arm chair and ottoman that most JS have. One word of caution... the tub is quite high so if anyone has mobility issues this might be a problem. The extra "walking around" room is very nice. We do not always sail in a JS, but when we have, it is just that little bit more special! Have a great time on your cruise!:)

Thanks, everyone for your advice! Since I've never sailed in a JS (or any suite) I wasn't sure if there was anything different between the D2 and JS other than the size.

I think I just may go ahead and call RCI and get that upgrade! Why not enjoy my cruise!! lol

Thanks, again!

M.

Thanks, everyone for your advice! Since I've never sailed in a JS (or any suite) I wasn't sure if there was anything different between the D2 and JS other than the size.

I think I just may go ahead and call RCI and get that upgrade! Why not enjoy my cruise!! lol

Thanks, again!

M.

Just make sure you verify that the price you saw is still available, good rates don't always last that long.

All -

I called last night and got a wonderful rep on the phone. I've actually been upgraded to the Suite Guarantee category for the exact same price I paid for the D2 cabin.

Soooo.... {insert deep breath}.... now I'm waiting to see which suite cabin I am assigned! Here's crossing my fingers for a Grand Suite or above!!

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Michelle

All -

I called last night and got a wonderful rep on the phone. I've actually been upgraded to the Suite Guarantee category for the exact same price I paid for the D2 cabin.

Soooo.... {insert deep breath}.... now I'm waiting to see which suite cabin I am assigned! Here's crossing my fingers for a Grand Suite or above!!

Michelle

Glad you got it before they raised the prices. Good luck

All -

I've actually been upgraded to the Suite Guarantee category for the exact same price I paid for the D2 cabin.

Michelle

It's a trap and and took the bait. After this cruise you will never want to sail in anything less. :):):)

All -

Michelle

Awesome, hoping you get a great suite, let us know.

Safe travels

Well - Royal Caribbean was quick and assigned the cabin this afternoon! Jr Suite #7236. Not bad!! I guess hoping for a grand suite or crown loft suite was a long shot.... lol .... but I'm happy with the Jr Suite on the hump!

Let the countdown begin!

Michelle

Well - Royal Caribbean was quick and assigned the cabin this afternoon! Jr Suite #7236. Not bad!! I guess hoping for a grand suite or crown loft suite was a long shot.... lol .... but I'm happy with the Jr Suite on the hump!

Let the countdown begin!

Michelle

Very nice, almost center hump. One note - you cannot pass between the port and starboard aft elevator lobbies on deck 7. The Boardwalk sign is in the way.

Let the countdown begin!

Michelle

I think you lucked out...sorry not a fan of the GS category at all...I was so excited when I had done the GTY and got upgraded to a GS....but I actually hated a few things about it and missed my JS.

Wahoo!! Glad you took the plunge! :D We had originally booked an E1 balcony cabin for our February cruise and saw that Junior Suite prices had dropped, meaning it only cost an extra $100pp to be upgraded. So we went for it!! So looking forward to the extra space and of course having a bathtub!

I think you lucked out...sorry not a fan of the GS category at all...I was so excited when I had done the GTY and got upgraded to a GS....but I actually hated a few things about it and missed my JS.

We felt the same way.