Classic beverage package

bubbadogmom

Hi

We got the classic drink package as part of a promotion which I was very excited to get.

But now looking at it - I like margaritas and frozen drinks - it seems everything is over the 9$ I'm allowed for a drink.

Is this package even worth it?

If I can't find anything I like under 9 (and from looking at the menus that's not much), can I just pay the difference?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Once you are onboard you can upgrade to Premium. If you have OBC you can apply that to the additional $11.80 a day it would amount to upgrade.

There are tables set up for this when you embark. Also, any bar will handle this for you when you go for your first drink. Just inform the bartender that you wish to upgrade your drink package from classic to premium.

With the premium package your limit for drinks increases from $9 to $13. If you like the higher end brands, the $11.80 paid to upgrade to Premium will pay for itself after 3 drinks. Anything after that you'll be ahead.

You should know that with a Classic package, if you order over the $9 limit, you will be charged for the full amount of the drink. However, if you have Premium and you'd like a drink over the $13 limit, you only pay the difference between $13 and whatever your ordered drink actually costs.

The photo in the post is off the Eclipse, and whilst I haven't dug into the original post, if the sailing is out of Southampton it will include the gratuity, something that Celebrity do for UK sailings. Us Brits don't like being told that 18% gratuity has been added to the bill for my convenience!

Before any one starts I have absolutely no objection to paying the gratuities - its part of my holiday and I we give extra when we get good service.

Reading other folks posts it is possible to get the majority of cocktails and frozen drinks with the classic package as long as you are not fussy about the brand of spirit. To be honest in a cocktail I couldn't tell you if it was a premium brand spirit or not. Just tell the barman you want a cocktail within the classic package and they will do it for you :)

I have the classic package for our upcoming cruise and have no intentions of upgrading unless I really have to. I am not over fussy about my wine and as long as I can get the common cocktails I will be more than happy :)

We have had the Classic beverage package on our last two cruises and never needed to upgrade. I was able to order mudslides, daiquiries, appletinis etc. I would recommend trying it out for a day or two and then upgrade if necessary. As noted, this will be extremely easy to do.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

There is no reason to upgrade to Premium until you find that the drinks you want aren't on the classic package. I say this because the ships differ on what's in the package and what isn't....and the prices for most "common" drinks aren't published anywhere....what you see are the "specialty" drinks that they push.

When you board, there will be many trying to convince you to upgrade now. Remember that they are incented to sell you the upgrade, so if you ask, they may "guess" that the drink you want isn't in the classic package. I say guess because they may not actually know so they "guess".

My advice is to wait to upgrade....when you get on board, order the drink you want or ask your waiter if it's included in the classic package. If you find that the drink(s) you want aren't in the package...by all means upgrade. The cost per day to upgrade is the same whether you purchase it now, when you board or from any bar during the cruise...so there's no advantage to buying early. My guess is that if you want more or less standard drinks, you won't need to upgrade.

Edited by ghstudio

I was concerned about having Pina Coladas, and Margheritas with Classic too.

In doing a lot of research on this I've read that you can have the above drinks on the classic package. When you look at a bar menu online from a cruise, you'll see the drinks priced over $9 .... but they contain PREMIUM alcohol. The same cocktails are available using non-premium brands.

This is how I understand it. :)

Unexpectedly got the classic package thrown into our reservation. As neither the husband nor I are big drinkers, we're pleased, but not interested in upgrading to premium. However, I'm fond of one aperitf that I was pleased was available on Reflection during our 2013 trip, but as I was then premium, I didn't have to worry about.

In short, does anyone know whether the classic package includes Aperol? Many thanks!

Hi everyone. I have enjoyed hearing all your comments. We have the classic drinks package & will now wait a few days into our cruise before we upgrade, if necessary. We probably couldn't tell which grade alcohol was in our margaritas anyway. As long as we enjoy it.

There is no point in putting "top shelf" booze in a frozen drink...none at all....

Amen to that. The only way I drink my Chivas Regal is straight up. Water on the side. I know bartenders who would not even think of giving me that brand if I asked for it mixed in with anything.:)

Hi everyone. I have enjoyed hearing all your comments. We have the classic drinks package & will now wait a few days into our cruise before we upgrade, if necessary. We probably couldn't tell which grade alcohol was in our margaritas anyway. As long as we enjoy it.

That's what I'll do too.

Thx for all the responses!

The photo in the post is off the Eclipse, and whilst I haven't dug into the original post, if the sailing is out of Southampton it will include the gratuity, something that Celebrity do for UK sailings. Us Brits don't like being told that 18% gratuity has been added to the bill for my convenience!

Before any one starts I have absolutely no objection to paying the gratuities - its part of my holiday and I we give extra when we get good service.

Reading other folks posts it is possible to get the majority of cocktails and frozen drinks with the classic package as long as you are not fussy about the brand of spirit. To be honest in a cocktail I couldn't tell you if it was a premium brand spirit or not. Just tell the barman you want a cocktail within the classic package and they will do it for you :)

I have the classic package for our upcoming cruise and have no intentions of upgrading unless I really have to. I am not over fussy about my wine and as long as I can get the common cocktails I will be more than happy :)

And if good beers are not important you should very happy.

Hi

We got the classic drink package as part of a promotion which I was very excited to get.

But now looking at it - I like margaritas and frozen drinks - it seems everything is over the 9$ I'm allowed for a drink.

What menu are you looking at? There will be lots to choose from as long as you don't request a premium liquor. There are current lists on these threads.

Certainly no reason to upgrade precruise.

There is no point in putting "top shelf" booze in a frozen drink...none at all....

I have never felt under branded with any of the liquors allowed in the classic package, most of them Afterall were considered to be top shelf only a few years ago. I do feel that the allowed beer list is lacking a good session ale.

Tanqueray / Bombay Sapphire gin

Absolute vodka

Makers Mark bourbon

Crown Royal Canadian rye

Glenfiddich single malt scotch

Chivas Regal

Bacardi 8 rum

Cazadores tequila

Lots more quality spirits, liqueurs and specialties.

bosco

Edited by boscobeans