Wedding Bands either Accidentally Thrown Away or Stolen by Room Steward - Help

DUTRAVEL

My son and new daughter-in-law went on a Celebrity cruise to Europe for their honeymoon. The room steward either accidentally threw away or took their wedding bands. They filed a claim with Celebrity, but Celebrity is saying that they have no responsibility. Does anyone have any experience with a similar situation with items that have gone missing from their state room? Any suggestions on how to resolve this with Celebrity? As you can imagine, they are very upset to have had this happen on their honeymoon.

It is extremely unlikely the room attendant took their rings. The consequences to the steward and the livelihood of that stewards family are just to great. So sorry they lost their rings, likely your thought about them being in the trash is correct. Sad to learn a lesson like this so early in their marriage, hope it's the worst they ever experience!

Why were they not wearing them? If they were valuable (price or sentiment) and they were not wearing them - they should have been placed in the safe.

Were they left in a place where they could have been "accidentally" thrown out?

Unless they have proof that the cabin steward took them, there is no case.

Were they diamond bands that had monetary value? I can't see a cabin steward risking their job on the theft of a band. A gold band is just a few hundred dollars. If the bands were worth thousands, then the happy couple should not have left them around.

I get that they were important but:

a) they should have taken steps to make sure they were kept in a safe place

b) everything is replaceable. If they were of value; they can put in a claim with their homeowner's policy - assuming they had coverage for the rings. If the rings were not valuable enough to have them listed on an insurance policy; then they should just chalk this up to a valuable lesson.

Edited by Queen of Oakville

Wow, this is terrible. Did they both leave them on the counter or were they taken from the safe?

Unless they had evidence that the room steward stole them, Celebrity will not accept responsibility. No business would without proof.

They could try filing a claim with their homeowners, or rental, insurance. Coverage is usually fairly limited if they haven't purchased a rider for this but they still should have some limited coverage which might be sufficient if they were just basic gold bands or cover part of the loss if they were more extensive than that.

Edited by Lsimon

It is extremely unlikely the room attendant took their rings. The consequences to the steward and the livelihood of that stewards family are just to great. So sorry they lost their rings, likely your thought about them being in the trash is correct. Sad to learn a lesson like this so early in their marriage, hope it's the worst they ever experience!

You couldn't be more wrong. To automatically assume that the workers wouldn't do this, or something like it is just wishful thinking. I used to feel the same same as you, until I actually had it happen. Here is a cut and paste from a post I made a few months ago. The cruise I had this happen on was in January on Equinox. While this didn't make me say I'll "never cruise Celebrity again" as some people would say, it did disappoint me & my wife very much.

After this we are more careful as to what we leave out and unsecured, especially the last morning, when things are the most hectic.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No one thinks the staff would take anything, until they do. I felt that way for years.

My last cruise, on disembarkation day after we had breakfast, came back to room, got ready to go to disembark lounge, couldn't find my sunglasses($300 Maui Jims). After searching and not being able to find them, I contacted steward, he helped me look and talked to his assistant and another worker. I knew exactly where I left them, on the shelf, behind a rail (S Class). Sunglasses are important to me and I always keep track of where mine are.

I mentioned I really didn't want to get security involved but I'm afraid we'll have to. Steward left and in a few minutes came back to help me look more.(through carry ons, under beds etc. In a couple of minutes the assistant and other worker came in and excitedly told me & the steward they "found" them in the garbage can down the hall.

I'm sure there are many here that won't believe this, or think I somehow contributed to them being in the trash. They would be absolutely 100% wrong. In the past I've read similar stories and had doubts myself, not anymore.

I got my sunglasses back, and hopefully scared the responsible parties enough that they wouldn't attempt it again. I didn't pursue it any further that day as I had things to do and places to be.

Needless to say there was no tip left for the room attendants.

PS, this was the last cruise of his contract. He was going home that day. I don't know if he was coming back or not. Hopefully not.

Edited by ORV

Anything of value should be locked in the safe, period! Jewelry is either on you, locked up or left home.

I have left out, money, credit cards, jewelry, electronics, and left my safe full & unlocked. Never have I ever had anything taken. Am I lucky, maybe!

Anything of value should be locked in the safe, period! Jewelry is either on you, locked up or left home.

I have left out, money, credit cards, jewelry, electronics, and left my safe full & unlocked. Never have I ever had anything taken. Am I lucky, maybe!

No, I don't think it's luck, as we do the same. When we first started cruising, we'd lock everything up and I even brought a security cable to lock down my lap top. Now we tend to leave things out and, while we try to keep the safe locked, we often forget.

As has been said here and in so many other threads, stewards know that they will be the primary suspects if something goes missing, and they aren't about to risk their livelihood over a quick grab of a pair of sunglasses or wedding bands.

No, I don't think it's luck, as we do the same. When we first started cruising, we'd lock everything up and I even brought a security cable to lock down my lap top. Now we tend to leave things out and, while we try to keep the safe locked, we often forget.

As has been said here and in so many other threads, stewards know that they will be the primary suspects if something goes missing, and they aren't about to risk their livelihood over a quick grab of a pair of sunglasses or wedding bands.

Agree completely and in 99.99999% of the cases. Of course as in life there certainly can be one bad apple, but those cases I believe it's a rare event. All my Stewards, (while I only have about 100+ days at sea) , have worked 5 - 10 yrs on cruise ships. My Steward 2 wks ago 8 yrs. You can't work that long and be a thief and not get caught.

DW "lost" some fairly valuable jewelry on a Princess cruise once. It was on debarkation day. We had everything ready to go early in the morning and went to breakfast. We accidentally left the safe open where her jewelry was in these small bags. We came back, removed everything out of the safe and left. It wasn't until we unpacked at home that DW noticed the jewelry missing. I fully believe the steward took it as there was no place to misplace it and since it was the last day and we were leaving, there was no way to prove it (or scare it back in our possession as ORV was able to do). But, lesson learned for us. DW now never brings any valuable jewelry on a cruise and we always make sure anything we don't want to "lose" stays locked in a safe. For the most part I believe stewards are honest but, given the right timing and temptation, they can succumb to temptation just like anyone.

Hi Everyone,

To the OP : I'm sorry to hear your son and daughter in law lost their wedding bands. As there's zero proof that the cabin attendant took them - and I highly doubt they did.... Celebrity should not be held responsible. My advice is to file a claim with their insurance company and hope it all works out in your favor.

I also completely agree that keeping any items of value in the safe, (while not entirely foolproof) highly deters things from going wrong. Hope they will give that strong consideration on their next vacation experience.

All the best to you !

Edited by Host Andy

DW "lost" some fairly valuable jewelry on a Princess cruise once. It was on debarkation day. We had everything ready to go early in the morning and went to breakfast. We accidentally left the safe open where her jewelry was in these small bags. We came back, removed everything out of the safe and left. It wasn't until we unpacked at home that DW noticed the jewelry missing. I fully believe the steward took it as there was no place to misplace it and since it was the last day and we were leaving, there was no way to prove it (or scare it back in our possession as ORV was able to do). But, lesson learned for us. DW now never brings any valuable jewelry on a cruise and we always make sure anything we don't want to "lose" stays locked in a safe. For the most part I believe stewards are honest but, given the right timing and temptation, they can succumb to temptation just like anyone.

A problem with a lot of hotel and ship safes is that they often aren't easy to look into, and you need to feel around thoroughly to ensure that you got everything out. I found an expensive pair of gold earrings in my Paris hotel one time, which I turned in to the front desk. Your wife very possibly missed one of her small bags and the next passenger found the bag and either decided to keep it or passed it on to the front desk. In any event, there are numerous possibilities other than the steward having stolen that one bag. IMO, it's unfortunate that you've chosen to ascribe blame with absolutely no proof.

Edited by Fouremco

My son and new daughter-in-law went on a Celebrity cruise to Europe for their honeymoon. The room steward either accidentally threw away or took their wedding bands. They filed a claim with Celebrity, but Celebrity is saying that they have no responsibility. Does anyone have any experience with a similar situation with items that have gone missing from their state room? Any suggestions on how to resolve this with Celebrity? As you can imagine, they are very upset to have had this happen on their honeymoon.

Sorry to hear this, so sad. I would let Celebrity know so if someone turns them in (perhaps they fell under the bed or got lost in the room somewhere) they know who they belong to.

I have never ever taken my wedding ring off- why did your son and new daughter- in - law they take theirs off?

Is it a new custom?

I take my ring off at night as I don't want the claws of the diamond getting caught on the linens and loosening.

You couldn't be more wrong. To automatically assume that the workers wouldn't do this, or something like it is just wishful thinking. I used to feel the same same as you, until I actually had it happen. Here is a cut and paste from a post I made a few months ago. The cruise I had this happen on was in January on Equinox. While this didn't make me say I'll "never cruise Celebrity again" as some people would say, it did disappoint me & my wife very much.

After this we are more careful as to what we leave out and unsecured, especially the last morning, when things are the most hectic.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No one thinks the staff would take anything, until they do. I felt that way for years.

My last cruise, on disembarkation day after we had breakfast, came back to room, got ready to go to disembark lounge, couldn't find my sunglasses($300 Maui Jims). After searching and not being able to find them, I contacted steward, he helped me look and talked to his assistant and another worker. I knew exactly where I left them, on the shelf, behind a rail (S Class). Sunglasses are important to me and I always keep track of where mine are.

I mentioned I really didn't want to get security involved but I'm afraid we'll have to. Steward left and in a few minutes came back to help me look more.(through carry ons, under beds etc. In a couple of minutes the assistant and other worker came in and excitedly told me & the steward they "found" them in the garbage can down the hall.

I'm sure there are many here that won't believe this, or think I somehow contributed to them being in the trash. They would be absolutely 100% wrong. In the past I've read similar stories and had doubts myself, not anymore.

I got my sunglasses back, and hopefully scared the responsible parties enough that they wouldn't attempt it again. I didn't pursue it any further that day as I had things to do and places to be.

Needless to say there was no tip left for the room attendants.

PS, this was the last cruise of his contract. He was going home that day. I don't know if he was coming back or not. Hopefully not.

Totally agree. It is naive to think workers don't steal

I have never ever taken my wedding ring off- why did your son and new daughter- in - law they take theirs off?

Is it a new custom?

Without sounding callous, this was our first thought. I have taken my wedding ring off for very short periods over the last 21 yrs (like a minute at the most).

I suppose people are different however. I do have a cross and chain - the chain was the first gift from my hubby when we first met and the cross from my late parents. I very rarely take them off .... probably just on formal nights when I wear different jewellery. I always put the cross and chain in the safe alongside my watch that hubby gave me 22 yrs ago.

I imagine that the couple who have lost their rings are upset about it, but it will be difficult to prove how it has gone missing.

I take my ring off at night as I don't want the claws of the diamond getting caught on the linens and loosening.

But then you would put it back on in the morning surely before anyone cleaned your cabin??:confused:

Totally agree. It is naive to think workers don't steal

I'm not disagreeing with you Rjrpar. Theft happens everywhere, in every industry, and, at every second of every day. However, to assume that a Cabin attendant took them, seems (IMO) way off base, and unfounded to me. Could be so many reasons. Of course, there are bad eggs everywhere, and stuff happens - but I suggest it's highly unlikely the attendant is the culprit. The crew simply have way to much to lose by doing so. Again, anything can happen - but I believe that 99.999% of the crew wouldn't go down this path.

While we will never know what happened, I hope the couple will recover some or all of their claim through insurance.

Edited by Host Andy

I'm still waiting to hear why both wedding bands were off. I have also left valuables out without thinking. Nothing was ever taken, I consider myself lucky too because sometimes the stateroom door doesn't shut completely. Happy cruising!

They took the weddings rings off to take a shower and left them on the bathroom counter. They forgot about them and went to dinner. When they came back they were gone. The only people who would have had access to the room while they were gone are celebrity employees. They were either accidentally thrown away during turn down service or taken, either way by a Celebrity employee.

Bottom line is that everyone has to have some measure of personal responsibility in securing their own possessions and making sure they keep up with anything they cannot afford to lose. This is a hard lesson to learn but hopefully the couple in this example will be more aware from now on. What gets lost in this story is that this doesn't apply just to Celebrity cruises but anywhere at any time.

That said, I worked my way through college in hotels, and the first person blamed for missing items is always the housekeeper. However, every housekeeper I worked with would drop off diamond earrings and jewelry and cash ($500 one time) and electronics and you name it on a regular basis. Most were honest, very hardworking people, often working two or three jobs to support their family. They would dig through trash to look for missing stuff, if that was a possibility. It always annoyed me to no end that they were the first ones blamed when they were full of integrity and took pride in a job well done. One hotel I worked with would follow up with customers a few weeks after the fact and more often than not, the customer found whatever had been “stolen” once they got home. So while I can accept that there may be theft on occasion, the incidences of it are extremely low.

They took the weddings rings off to take a shower and left them on the bathroom counter. They forgot about them and went to dinner. When they came back they were gone. The only people who would have had access to the room while they were gone are celebrity employees. They were either accidentally thrown away during turn down service or taken, either way by a Celebrity employee.

Sorry, still find it so odd to take them off at all. Why ????? That's me .....

I suppose it is one of those 'You live and you learn' moments for them but I can't imagine that anything will ever compensate for a lost wedding ring. I wear my late Mum's - as she wore my grandmother's. Priceless items that were given at the time of a promise,

I hope that they can move on from this and won't be parted again from their new bands / rings. The best place for them is on your hand ..