Wedding Bands either Accidentally Thrown Away or Stolen by Room Steward - Help

DUTRAVEL

Sorry, still find it so odd to take them off at all. Why ????? That's me .....

I suppose it is one of those 'You live and you learn' moments for them but I can't imagine that anything will ever compensate for a lost wedding ring. I wear my late Mum's - as she wore my grandmother's. Priceless items that were given at the time of a promise,

I hope that they can move on from this and won't be parted again from their new bands / rings. The best place for them is on your hand ..

I have to take off my wedding ring every time I exercise as my fingers swell up to the point of pain. I can't tell you the number of times I have left it on my treadmill and remembered hours later after the swelling went down. And there are times when I can't wear my ring for days on end because of a skin condition that breaks out now and again. So, I find nothing odd about taking your wedding ring off.

They took the weddings rings off to take a shower and left them on the bathroom counter. They forgot about them and went to dinner. When they came back they were gone. The only people who would have had access to the room while they were gone are celebrity employees. They were either accidentally thrown away during turn down service or taken, either way by a Celebrity employee.

Is that shower big enough for two people? :eek:

Sorry, still find it so odd to take them off at all. Why ????? That's me .....

Yes, and others, myself and my DH included, regularly take our rings off for a variety of reasons. :)

Hey now...... simmer....... :p;)

But "no". :D

My son and new daughter-in-law went on a Celebrity cruise to Europe for their honeymoon. The room steward either accidentally threw away or took their wedding bands. They filed a claim with Celebrity, but Celebrity is saying that they have no responsibility. Does anyone have any experience with a similar situation with items that have gone missing from their state room? Any suggestions on how to resolve this with Celebrity? As you can imagine, they are very upset to have had this happen on their honeymoon.

This is what your room safe is for folks!!!

I would think those that take rings off would outnumber the ones that leave them on. What's that about not wearing jewelry in ports and tours? Seems that's one of the words of wisdom you frequently see on CC.

I don't sleep, work in the yard, exercise or shower with rings on.

DW "lost" some fairly valuable jewelry on a Princess cruise once. It was on debarkation day. We had everything ready to go early in the morning and went to breakfast. We accidentally left the safe open where her jewelry was in these small bags. We came back, removed everything out of the safe and left. It wasn't until we unpacked at home that DW noticed the jewelry missing. I fully believe the steward took it as there was no place to misplace it and since it was the last day and we were leaving, there was no way to prove it (or scare it back in our possession as ORV was able to do). But, lesson learned for us. DW now never brings any valuable jewelry on a cruise and we always make sure anything we don't want to "lose" stays locked in a safe. For the most part I believe stewards are honest but, given the right timing and temptation, they can succumb to temptation just like anyone.

How about snooping fellow PAX?? When the room is being turned over, the door is usually open & someone could sneak in. We've peeked in some of the suites as we passed down the hallway. Just to see how the room looks. Frequently the steward is cleaning the bathroom. So don't judge the stewards too harshly.

They took the weddings rings off to take a shower and left them on the bathroom counter. They forgot about them and went to dinner. When they came back they were gone. The only people who would have had access to the room while they were gone are celebrity employees. They were either accidentally thrown away during turn down service or taken, either way by a Celebrity employee.

How close were these to the sink? I mean, it's not like ships never rock & the rings could have slid into the sink & possibly down the drain.

...firstly, so sorry this has happened.

The obvious scenario to me would be they had put the bands in a tissue....one can clearly see how they could then be thrown away.

Unfortunately, the only option seems to be to move on. Claim off insurance, replace the rings and put it behind you.

One can consider all possibilities from theft to going down the drain but at this time the rings are unlikely to be found...best way you can support your family, unfortunately is to encourage them to move on.

Hey now...... simmer....... :p;)

But "no". :D

LOL -- I was thinking the same thing. Reminded me of that old joke that almost every CD has used at some time or another: My cabin shower is so small that I just soap up the walls and spin around! :eek:

And, sadly, I think Beth (GimletGal) may have come up with the most logical answer: rings left on the edge of a small sink is a recipe for disaster.

I have to take off my wedding ring every time I exercise as my fingers swell up to the point of pain. I can't tell you the number of times I have left it on my treadmill and remembered hours later after the swelling went down. And there are times when I can't wear my ring for days on end because of a skin condition that breaks out now and again. So, I find nothing odd about taking your wedding ring off.
I find it hard to imagine that someone would never take off a ring, even if only for reasons of sanitation, to wash and dry one's hands and to clean the ring.

There are all the times when handling something messy or sticky, changing a baby's diaper, cleaning up a spill, or even just sweating or doing yard work.

Many take off rings when washing their hair because they don't want the rings to snag their hair.

Also, there are some jobs where it is considered unsafe or unsanitary to wear jewelry.

Then in addition to the people whose fingers swell, there are people like my cousin who always take off rings to wash their hands because they get a rash on the finger under the ring if they leave it on when they get their hands wet.

Edited by varoo

How about snooping fellow PAX?? When the room is being turned over, the door is usually open & someone could sneak in. We've peeked in some of the suites as we passed down the hallway. Just to see how the room looks. Frequently the steward is cleaning the bathroom. So don't judge the stewards too harshly.

I was thinking this very thing! Oh and I am one who leaves my rings all over. Of course I always think I'll remember where I left them :) and of course I can never remember!

Our steward was so concerned about finding my rings he brought a small bowl to our cabin to put the "ring" he kept finding near the bed or near the bathroom sink.

He left me a note with a Smiley face!

Sorry for your loss. Thanks for the heads up though. Unlike many people who posted to this thread, both my wife and I regularly remove our rings - mostly for washing up, but also when we go to the gym. Hope they find your rings!

A problem with a lot of hotel and ship safes is that they often aren't easy to look into, and you need to feel around thoroughly to ensure that you got everything out.

You might try bringing along a Ziploc bag and putting your valuables in it and zipping it closed before you put it in the safe, so that it's easier to be sure that nothing is left behind when you disembark.

It is extremely unlikely the room attendant took their rings. The consequences to the steward and the livelihood of that stewards family are just to great.

That's pretty naive of you. Here is a very public example of when someone's phone was stolen and then started syncing to iCloud. I don't for a second think the Disney employees are worse than Celebrity or any others. Why not rings?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2149023/iPhone-thief-Katy-McCaffrey-outs-man-stole-iPhone-Disney-Cruise-photos-synched-account.html

A problem with a lot of hotel and ship safes is that they often aren't easy to look into, and you need to feel around thoroughly to ensure that you got everything out......

Which is why we always put small items in a zip lock baggie. Anything that might not be seen is in the baggie. When we depart, we just grab the baggie and everything is out of the safe.

EDIT: Oops! Looks like Julie MacCoy already made that suggestion! (And I thought I had an original and great idea :D;) )

Edited by SantaFeFan

If they were on the tiny sink counter I can picture drying ones self in the small room and the towel swiping the rings on to the floor or knocking them into the sink or toilet
I was also wondering if they could have fallen off and rolled under the edge below the sink, or behind the toilet, out of sight.

(We keep the toilet lid down, to prevent the possibility you mention.)

I have dropped small items in ship bathrooms occasionally without realizing it, even uncapping a bottle or tube and then being unable to find the cap later when I was ready to re-cap it..

But knowing that it had to be somewhere in the bathroom, I would find it "hiding" on the floor when I stooped down and searched around for it.

If a stateroom attendant started to vacuum in there and didn't notice the rings, another possibility is that they might have been vacuumed up.

You might try bringing along a Ziploc bag and putting your valuables in it and zipping it closed before you put it in the safe, so that it's easier to be sure that nothing is left behind when you disembark.

Which is why we always put small items in a zip lock baggie. Anything that might not be seen is in the baggie. When we depart, we just grab the baggie and everything is out of the safe.

EDIT: Oops! Looks like Julie MacCoy already made that suggestion! (And I thought I had an original and great idea :D;) )

We don't use a ziplock bag, but DW uses a makeup case to keep her things together and I use a larger than normal pencil case that came with an old laptop case. Works like a charm. :)

That's pretty naive of you. Here is a very public example of when someone's phone was stolen and then started syncing to iCloud. I don't for a second think the Disney employees are worse than Celebrity or any others. Why not rings?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2149023/iPhone-thief-Katy-McCaffrey-outs-man-stole-iPhone-Disney-Cruise-photos-synched-account.html

Ya ya I remember that! And yes I think this is extremely rare. In that case I believe the crew member (not a Steward) got the phone somewhere other than the cabin. I did not click on your link it just what my memory is telling me!

IMO, it's far more naive to jump to conclusions than it is to objectively evaluate the many possibilities.

I'm sorry about the lost rings. Regardless of how it happened, I know it's upsetting.

I have never ever taken my wedding ring off- why did your son and new daughter- in - law they take theirs off?

Is it a new custom?

I've been married almost 28 years, and for every day of those 28 years I've taken my rings off...usually as soon as I walk in the door. There are lots of things I do without my rings...sleep, bathe, exercise, swim, etc. I look at it that the ring is a symbol of a promise, not the promise itself.