Questions about Semi/Formal attire for a Cowboy

Amaditch

My husband, myself and our 14 yr old son will be taking a cruise early next year and I have a question about dress. We are a western dressing family and my dilemma is this....would a western vest, bolo tie, and nice colored jeans (dark brown, or black) be dressy enough without having to pack a dress jacket as well? I don't want to have to buy dress attire for this one time when they would have this type of attire anyway. Any help with this would be appreciated. Thanks so much!:)

I see you are going on the Allure. This is there dress code according to their website. Honestly, I have never seen anyone turned away, other than tee shirts, hats...etc.

There were MANY Texans dressed in Cowboy garb. I really do not think you will have a problem. You picked a GREAT ship for your first cruise.

Here is what is stated on their website:

Onboard Dress Code

Smart Casual: Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a blouse. Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a collared shirt.

Formal: Ladies: Cocktail dress or pantsuit. Gentlemen: Suit (black tie is optional)

Note: Swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurants or specialty restaurants. T-shirts, shorts and flip-flops are acceptable for lunch.

Note: Smart Casual is allowed on Boarding Day at The Grande Restaurant (should only be included where we are speaking about The Grande)

Read more at http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334#Yhr65C0tV5CjuMk9.99

My husband, myself and our 14 yr old son will be taking a cruise early next year and I have a question about dress. We are a western dressing family and my dilemma is this....would a western vest, bolo tie, and nice colored jeans (dark brown, or black) be dressy enough without having to pack a dress jacket as well? I don't want to have to buy dress attire for this one time when they would have this type of attire anyway. Any help with this would be appreciated. Thanks so much!:)

depends on the ship/line. it would be entirely NOT acceptable on Celebrity for instance, nor would it be considered appropriate for any ship not sailing out of Galveston, Houston, or N'awlins.

also most lines do ban jeans period on formal night, no matter what. yes even the $250 'dress jeans' that Texans seem to just love. price is not a factor. its the fabric.

a pair of chinos or khakis, a button down shirt and a tie is acceptable on most lines. no jacket required except on a few ships( again, Celebrity)

I am also a first time cruiser, but I wanted to let you know that I feel for you! My boyfriend and I are both Wyoming natives - his "dress shoes" are his nicest pair of Western boots. It can be difficult to find the happy medium between traditional formal wear and his western sensibilities. We recently purchased an affordable jacket at a western-wear shop that looks really nice with his favorite vest. He has gotten a lot more use out of it than we expected. Maybe something like that would be a good option for formal night?

Best of luck! I hope you all have a wonderful trip.

the bolo is not the issue.. its the JEANS that are in dispute.

I agree, but I am sure you will admit dress code is nothing like it used to be and most lines do not enforce anything. I have seen some clowns in worse on RCCL and other lines

I'll take a sharp-dressed cowboy who tips his hat and pulls out chairs for the ladies in his party anyday...so many bigger things in the world to worry about. Black jeans and a jacket it would probably be the best option with a hat and bolo.

the bolo is not the issue.. its the JEANS that are in dispute.

Nothing is "in dispute". OP asked without telling which line/ship they are on. From her previous posts and one other reply here, they are sailing on Royal Caribbean. Jeans are not mentioned in the dress code, and thus are permitted. Would I wear them on FN? No. Do some passengers? Yes.

Black jeans and a jacket it would probably be the best option with a hat and bolo.

If the gentleman decides to wear his cowboy hat, it should come off when he enters the dining room.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

The OP is on Royal Caribbean. I don't think it really matters much as we've seen all kinds of dress on their ships on formal nights. As long as the jeans are clean, not torn and if the men remove any hat they may wear, it shouldn't be a problem.

Dark jeans that are pressed and in good condition, vest, collared shirt, nice jacket, shined boots, and bolo would be just fine for formal night. That's as formally dressed as my former husband ever got. Even on Celebrity, he wouldn't stand out. Don't go buy a whole new wardrobe for one night on a cruise.

If what he has isn't considered "formal" enough, go get your portrait and then enjoy one of the other restaurants. There are always non-formal dining options.

I'm a farmer in central CA. I do own 1 pair of high heels that get worn maybe once a year, but I don't own a single dress that would be considered "formal" by people from the major cities. Even on my poshest cruise - the Seacloud II - nobody batted an eye at my lack of a gown. And my husband was not the only man wearing a nice leather jacket instead of a tuxedo.

It might be better to view the question as one of "western attire", rather than (as was titled) "Dressing like a cowboy". A cowboy is a manual laborer - so dressing like one - including work clothes, such as jeans - is, almost by definition, not formal.

People should wear what they want and what they are comfortable in - with some regard for the "rules of the house" .

OP's question, like all similar questions, should be answered by referring to whatever dress code applies.

depends on the ship/line. it would be entirely NOT acceptable on Celebrity for instance, nor would it be considered appropriate for any ship not sailing out of Galveston, Houston, or N'awlins.

also most lines do ban jeans period on formal night, no matter what. yes even the $250 'dress jeans' that Texans seem to just love. price is not a factor. its the fabric.

a pair of chinos or khakis, a button down shirt and a tie is acceptable on most lines. no jacket required except on a few ships( again, Celebrity)

Funny - I wore a black button down shirt, black jeans, and boots for formal night on RCI Freedom of the Seas out of Port Canaveral - I actually felt slightly overdressed compared to others.....

Funny - I wore a black button down shirt, black jeans, and boots for formal night on RCI Freedom of the Seas out of Port Canaveral - I actually felt slightly overdressed compared to others.....

I still wear a Tux , but many more people will be dressed like you were, when I started cruising people dressed in suit and tie every night, glad we do not do that anymore, as Dylan sang "the times they are a changing"

On the other hand, it's a bit sad that, when fashion/decorum enters the equation, international travel of all sorts (air, land sea) has degenerated over the past decade.

Whether it's riding in coach on planes with increasingly less seat pitch while abutting a stranger in a "wifebeater" tee shirt munching on pungent food brought from home OR having to share a cruise dinner table with baseball-cap-turned-backward, flip-flop wearing "buffet buffoons," more liberal interpretations by travel companies (particularly some cruise lines) of commonly decent dress requirements has certainly cheapened the overall experience (in the worst way).

This extends as well to "formal" nights (aka prom nights), which (on many cruise lines) have become nothing more than a money making scam for the ship. Formal wear is formal wear. Period. By accepting anything less that tux and, at least, cocktail dress, the line makes sure that there are more folks present to purchase pictures while creating the illusion that passengers are getting an extra special event (which actually costs the cruise line $000 more than any other dinner). Fortunately some better cruise lines have abandoned "prom nights" rather than perpetuate the scam. But those lines are few and far between.

Of course, some folks will still feel that the positives of their overall experience are worth the negatives including perhaps mistaking "cheap" for "good value."

Nonetheless, it does remain sad that the experience of cruising for many newer passengers is devoid of the class and sophistication that once defined life-at-sea.

It would be nice to see all cruise lines have a dress code or say there is no dress code, but enforce the code if there was one, some lines still enforce it. It used to be if you didn't dress up you were forced to eat in WJ/buffet. As you say there is no way I am going to eat with "baseball-cap-turned-backward, flip-flop wearing "buffet buffoons,"