Onboard Riviera

dundeene

Wonderful food last night at Red Ginger. servers very good with more explaination of the restaurant and the modification of recipes from all over Asia.

Duck and watermelon salad, seabass, lemongrass-coconut soup all delicious as usual. A few new menu items, but the favorites intact. The matre'd came to each table to ck their dinners and offer additional menu items to try or share. The restaurant was not full which surprised me.

We were at a sharing table and again dined with 1st time Oceania guests. They were In a PH and very happy with the food and quality of service. We both commented on the frequent greetings from smiling staff around the ship.

Our table mates were having trouble with the menu and the waiter brought out a wooden box that I expected to be the chop stick choices. She opened and it contained a large selection of reading glasses. I had to laugh at the notion of Oceania with its older guest creating a box of different strengths for diners to see the menu.

We will tender in today with DIY guests using tender tickets. Those on Oceania tours do not need one. I will report back on timing and how the process goes with this very full ship.

There appear to be more spa specials than usual with the ship nearly empty in each of the gorgeous port.

I have not seen the "cost cutting" many were worried about after the NCL merger. Lobster, lobster everywhere just like I the past! Cheese boards remain very nice quality as does the fresh fruit offered. The staffing ratio remains very high.

Concierges have both been helpful with planning and printing maps etc for DIY tours. The wine prices do seem a bit higher. Otherwise he same old Oceania experience we have enjoyed in the past.

That is GREAT news! Lobster is my favorite food of all time. Thrilled to hear it is so generously available! :D

Our favorite lunch item on the Riviera is the surf and turf sandwich from Waves with truffle fries. When you ask them to hold the turf and bread, you end up with lobster and fries...... yummy!

Our favorite lunch item on the Riviera is the surf and turf sandwich from Waves with truffle fries. When you ask them to hold the turf and bread, you end up with lobster and fries...... yummy!

I never thought about asking them to hold the turf portion. I always ask for the bun to be held.

Has the entertainment team changed? They were supposed to get off on October 18th I think.

Oh...My...God! I'm literally salivating. This is a perfect idea, and I am absolutely going to execute it. :D

Can't believe I will be enjoying lobster and truffle fries on Riviera in only 2 months...

Oh...My...God! I'm literally salivating. This is a perfect idea, and I am absolutely going to execute it. :D

Can't believe I will be enjoying lobster and truffle fries on Riviera in only 2 months...

My wife loves lobster, on a Riviera cruise a couple of years ago we were on for 26 days, and she had lobster 24 times.

Lot's of opportunities, most(maybe all) of the specialties, every night in the Terrace and sometimes in the MDR, and as has been mentioned in Waves for lunch.

I do get a kick out of the mainstream cruise line forums, where a common question is, "What night is lobster night?" Only to be informed there is a lobster bisque or maybe a lobster salad, but no more lobster tails (and never a whole lobster). I love telling them we get lobster and filet sandwiches in the pool grill every day....:cool:

Okay Jim and Stan have been suggesting the lamb chops and they are correct. Even if you don't love lamb these are great!

The guys in the Terrace behind the grill counter have been happy, and friendly all cruise. They seem to love their jobs. Service was good with the team moving and working the room. This is the best service crew in the terrace that we have seen on Riviera. Many cruisers have been enjoying the cruise from the outside eating area.

As a customer service manager in a past life. . . You don' t want to see people standing and chatting when they are working a restaurant or store floor. This team is doing very well. All smiles, all the time.

Breakfast in terrace offered a Florentine waffle with spinach, plus a chocolate banana waffle. The second seemed like a dessert. I am happy to find the huge black berries and other special fruits still available.

The Oceania party for return cruisers was the smallest I have seen. This cruise only 300 repeat cruisers. Good thing Oceania has another ship coming with all this new, young blood.

A few more kids than normal ( maybe 16-20). And all well behaved.

The captain received a big round of applause when stating there would be no changes after the NCL merger unless they were to improve customers enjoyment ! I will let you know about tea and Jacques later as I am going to find something decadent and chocolate upstairs in Horizons.

Rain in Spezia and cinque terra areas so many cruisers onboard earlier.

I am going up for my first tea this cruise today and then Jacques for dinner.

Edited by dundeene

Rain in Spezia and cinque terra areas so many cruisers onboard earlier.

Oh, that's a shame! Cinque Terre is one of my favorite places on earth...I've been there seven times, and hiked the full trail four times. In fact I love that place so much that I actually put in my will that when I go, I want my ashes tossed off the cliffs of the Via Del'Amore.

I hope you were able to at least get to see the Cinque Terre, even in the rain.

Service at Jacques was very good. Our waiter was jovin(sp) and he tried very hard to please.

I have noticed some dishes prepared this cruise with less salt. To add flavor there are different spices added. We love the French onion soup and this time it had less traditional flavor(addition of spices not usually used). If you want lower salt this would make you happy. I longed for my favorite broth-based onion soup from prior cruises.

The scallops with morel mushroom were almost perfect! I added a little sea salt and then. . . Perfect.

Sommelier was very attentive, smiling and serving many tables.

I do not like the added two tops near the pillars. We felt crowded. I believe Oceania may have added the two tops to meet the needs of couples,who want an intimate experience at Jacques and request dining alone.

Bread was top notch as per usual. The crepes for dessert were perfectly prepared and served " hot,hot".

Tea was well attended and the selection was well received. Scones , with clotted cream, smoked salmon sandwiches, tarts etc were offered. Tea selections have not changed.

So much rain this evening. I am glad I had seen Cinque Terra on a previous cruise.

Those not returning for the 2nd leg of this Grandvoyage are sad to leave us in a day and a half. Most wished they had time for the 10 or 15 day cruises. Many on the first 7 days only, are still working and need to return home.

Many of the first time cruisers are planning on a future cruise with Oceania.

Tomorrow we arrive early in Livorno.

I know many of you are counting down the days and hours until you board your cruise. Bon voyage !

Thank you for your review while onboard. I will be taking my first Oceania cruise next year on the Marina. Since the Riviera is a sister ship, I thought the questions I asked would have answers that would apply to the Marina.

Q1: I enjoy smoothies and have the standard drink package - non alcoholic. Are fruit smoothies offered onboard as part of the package? Could you determine if I brought my own smoothie ingredients obtained on the ship - fruits and vegetables to the bartender, could he mix them up in the blender and make a smoothie at no charge?

Q2: I heard that the have snorkel equipment on board for rent. Could you find the cost.

Q3: I heard that you have to pay $25/d to use the Sauna or Steam room or use it during a treatment at the Spa. Could you verify there is no free use Sauna or Steam room.

Q4: If you go to the gym at all, could you describe the equipment there.

Thanks, Rick

No Alcohol No charge. Coffee, soft drinks, water all included. There is no "package" for non alcoholic drinks as far as I know.

I don't think you pay for using the sauna or steam room?? According to the accommodation that you have you may have to pay $25 for entry to the Spa Terrace which is for sunbathing in cabanas. J

Edited by Jay23

Thank you for your review while onboard. I will be taking my first Oceania cruise next year on the Marina. Since the Riviera is a sister ship, I thought the questions I asked would have answers that would apply to the Marina.

Q1: I enjoy smoothies and have the standard drink package - non alcoholic. Are fruit smoothies offered onboard as part of the package? Could you determine if I brought my own smoothie ingredients obtained on the ship - fruits and vegetables to the bartender, could he mix them up in the blender and make a smoothie at no charge?

Q2: I heard that the have snorkel equipment on board for rent. Could you find the cost.

Q3: I heard that you have to pay $25/d to use the Sauna or Steam room or use it during a treatment at the Spa. Could you verify there is no free use Sauna or Steam room.

Thanks, Rick

you can see photos of the gym & spa terrace at my favourite go to guy's blog ...they do a great job of ship's photos

http://www.thepreismans.com/riviera_mayan.htm

There is no charge for smoothies, bottled or sodas etc...

sauna is free to all

Thanks, Rick

Rick,

Generally for numerous sanitation reasons you are not allowed to bring you own food on board. The bartenders are generally geared to making mixed drinks, and non alcoholic drinks. If these smoothies are very important to you I might suggest you speak to Restaurant Manager ahead of time so that the staff, and you, know what can be done.

As to paying extra for things generally there are few extra charges. I do hope you have a great trip and appreciate that some requests may be more challenging to meet than others.

Rick,

Generally for numerous sanitation reasons you are not allowed to bring you own food on board.

Perhaps you misinterpreted OP's statement (underlining mine):

"..if I brought my own smoothie ingredients obtained on the ship - fruits and vegetables to the bartender...",

I think that this should be no problem. Fresh fruit is readily available, not sure about vegies.

Edited by Paulchili

There is some confusion here. The OP doesn't want to pay for smoothies. Well he doesn't have to, so the business of the bartender making a smoothie from the OP's own ingredients doesn't arise.

I do not know what drinks "package" the OP has got as there is no Non alcoholic drinks package is there? J