Onboard Riviera

dundeene

We are on Riviera for the next 15 days.

I thought I would answer a few recent queries and give my 2 cents worth.

First, yes the VAT is being charged from BCN to Rome on all spa and boutique purchases according to customer service.

Riviera looks good after its first dry dock. She is being kept very clean by the current crew.

Restaurant service has been very attentive this trip (#6 for me on Riviera and Marina)

Tuscana was great last night and the floor to ceiling windows. . . watching the sunset over BCN was amazing. Filet was tender and properly cooked, hots were HOt . . . colds were cold. Even the creme brulee was cold at the bottom hot on the top. It seemed the staff was working very hard. Sommeliers this trip are helpful and spending more time with each table. I will check in again later.

Also love our cabin attendant Freddy!

Thanks so much for taking the time to share with us :)

We will be on shortly and sailing from BCN so appreciate the heads up on the Spanish VAT (which we were expecting). I suspect it is being charged on all purchases (ie. drinks) and not just the boutique or spa?

Have a great cruise and will be watching for any updates.

We are booked on the Riviera next summer for 15 days Barcelona to Rome. Will the Spanish Vat only be charged while in Spanish waters, or will they charge the tax the entire trip.

Very good question. We just booked BCN to Rome for next summer and would like to know the answer also. :)

Thanks for the onboard reports, and I hope you keep them up! I just got my cruise docs yesterday for our Jan. 3rd cruise on Riviera, so I've been eager to hear how things are going post dry-dock. Sounds good so far!

I'm especially happy to hear that the Sommeliers are being particularly attentive. As a wine lover, I enjoy a well-educated Sommelier who is willing to spend some time with us.

We are booked on the Riviera next summer for 15 days Barcelona to Rome. Will the Spanish Vat only be charged while in Spanish waters, or will they charge the tax the entire trip.

By the way does anyone know how much the additional Spanish VAT tax is?

By the way does anyone know how much the additional Spanish VAT tax is?

This thread led me on a merry Google Spanish Vat chase this morning. From what I could see ( someone correct me if I got this all wrong) it varies in rate...Spa treatments higher than the rate on drinks. If the ship visits a non EU port than the rate assessed only in Spanish waters. But, a r/t from BCN with no non EU port would have VAT assessed the entire cruise. Italy was also doing it, but not to the extent of Spain. Most itineraries include Monaco, Malta, Gibralter and Croatia which makes the goods and services not subject to the tax...except for the countries that chase the tax down for the portion in their waters.

Very good question. We just booked BCN to Rome for next summer and would like to know the answer also. :)

Spanish VAT is a tricky thing and has different rules depending upon the itineraries. It can be charged all the way through the cruise and it may only be charged in Spanish waters. It really depends upon the itinerary and seems to vary from cruise to cruise sometimes. There are some good threads about it on the Ports boards.

There are two different VATS - one for the boutiques and spa and one for drinks, etc. and different rules for both.

Here are a couple of articles that might help shed a bit of light on things

http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Insights/On-Europe-cruises-getting-acquainted-with-VAT/

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/on-shore/iva_tax

The ship usually notifies you when the tax must be charged and there should be signs in the shops, etc as well.

This thread led me on a merry Google Spanish Vat chase this morning. From what I could see ( someone correct me if I got this all wrong) it varies in rate...Spa treatments higher than the rate on drinks. If the ship visits a non EU port than the rate assessed only in Spanish waters. But, a r/t from BCN with no non EU port would have VAT assessed the entire cruise. Italy was also doing it, but not to the extent of Spain. Most itineraries include Monaco, Malta, Gibralter and Croatia which makes the goods and services not subject to the tax...except for the countries that chase the tax down for the portion in their waters.

Thanks for all this good info. Looks like we will pay some, not pay some. Will forget most of this by next summer, until my bill comes at the end of our cruise. We will have a good time anyway.

Thanks for all this good info. Looks like we will pay some, not pay some. Will forget most of this by next summer, until my bill comes at the end of our cruise. We will have a good time anyway.

I think the easy thing to remember is if you embark to start the cruise in Barcelona don't buy the six bottle wine package until you know your in a VAT free zone.:)

We were in the GDR last night with Virgil as our waiter. Excellent attitude, helpful but not over bearing. And certainly the friendly touch of humor we like. Service was excellent! maybe not a fair night to judge because we started at 7pm and the alcohol was still flowing very freely at the captains party.

A very eclectic group onboard with more first timers than we have seen on prior cruises. Less Americans than prior cruises also.

VAT in force until Rome and the next leg of the cruise starts. Wine package of 7 bottles was still the same price so I believe Oceania must just be making less on it out of BCN.

Oceania almost needs a first cruisers seminar. We sat next to a couple who wanted to take 2 of their used wine glasses to their cabin from the party. They did not understand they could drink freely in their cabin. They had been on RC NCL etc and thought Oceania had similar alcohol policies. Everyone seems very happy with the service so far.

The customer service desk is very well run this cruise. Everyone is all smiles.

One cruisers was very unhappy with their tiny cabin and wanted to move. The purser handled it well as the cruiser was in a Vista last time and did not realize their TA had put them in a OC this time. Poor fellow just could not stand the cruise in such a tiny cabin!

"Poor fellow" indeed! I cannot imagine that he did not bother to check which sort of suite he had been booked in... Having been in an Oceania Suite all I can say is why move? They are wonderful...and you can sit on the terrace when the ship is underway or at night. Can't do that in a Vista because it is all locked down and the lights bother the bridge.

This is truly bizarre! But keep going with your posts. It is lovely to read them - and thanks!

Another great update - thank you:)

Still laughing at the "tiny" cabin and the cruisers that were unhappy with it. Too funny.

Good news on the 7 bottle pack too with the same price. thanks :)

Sounds like your cruise is off to a great start with great service :)

Thanks for taking the time to post this review. Looking forward to the next instalment.

Interesting to hear the VAT was not added to the 7 bottle package.

I have a vision of the couple, who thought they couldn't drink wine in their suite, secreting the glasses away in the sock drawer. so that the steward didn't find them. I suspect even if you did have a "newbie seminar", all the situations could not be covered. This one is a mystery though, as it is made very clear that wine may be brought on board.

I loved to hear about the "tiny" suite. Made me laugh too. Whatever would the poor fellow have made of our Penthouse on Riviera which we thought was wonderfully spacious and super indulgent. Always fascinating to know what is important to others isn't it? You didn't say if the unfortunate guest was moved to "more suitable" accommodation, I suspect not. J

Edited by Jay23

The customer service desk is very well run this cruise. Everyone is all smiles.

One cruisers was very unhappy with their tiny cabin and wanted to move. The purser handled it well as the cruiser was in a Vista last time and did not realize their TA had put them in a OC this time. Poor fellow just could not stand the cruise in such a tiny cabin!

The Horror!:eek:

Thank you for the input on the Vat Tax.......I think our cruise will have the Vat the entire time as we will visit Barcelona mid cruise and also embark from there. Its a Grand cruise that is also also being sold as a B2B.

In all honesty, I could understand if that unhappy passenger had been in a PH or lower because compared to a VS (OR an OC!!) it IS small. (Even though for "ordinary people" it's very comfortyable.)

When I read the beginning of that comment I assumed he'd ended up in a C or D cabin!!

A very eclectic group onboard with more first timers than we have seen on prior cruises. Less Americans than prior cruises also.

Oceania almost needs a first cruisers seminar.

Dundeene,

This seems to be the new normal as O cruises become more & more popular with a more varied segment of population - that was our last experience on the Marina as well. I suspect Oceania seeks out and welcomes this much needed "new blood" :)

Thank you for posting - I always enjoy these "live from" threads.

Thanks for the onboard reports, and I hope you keep them up! I just got my cruise docs yesterday for our Jan. 3rd cruise on Riviera, so I've been eager to hear how things are going post dry-dock. Sounds good so far!

I'm especially happy to hear that the Sommeliers are being particularly attentive. As a wine lover, I enjoy a well-educated Sommelier who is willing to spend some time with us.

You actually received your Cruise Vacation Guide..your docs arrive by email 21 days prior to your departure..

Jancruz1

Dundeene, I'm enjoying your posts very much and looking forward to the next installment. And, thank you for letting us know that the bottle package is the same price. Am I correct to assume that a drink package purchased on board in Barcelona would have same treatment? Or at least only the days where it is applicable?

Is Rome the next port of call for you?

This seems to be the new normal as O cruises become more & more popular with a more varied segment of population - that was our last experience on the Marina as well. I suspect Oceania seeks out and welcomes this much needed "new blood" :)

Thank you for posting - I always enjoy these "live from" threads.

With the recent addition of the two O ships and now a new R ship this spring Oceania passenger capacity has more than doubled over the past four(?) years....they need the new blood. The cruising industry continues to grow.....but Oceania has grown faster in recent years.

Another great update, which I'm eating up with glee! Keep going!

Oooh what I wouldn't give to have his problems. :p The phrase "first world problems" comes to mind! LOL

You actually received your Cruise Vacation Guide..your docs arrive by email 21 days prior to your departure..

Jancruz1

Ah, okay...didn't know that! You're right - on the front it says "Cruise Vacation Guide" right there. I assumed it was our docs because it includes our luggage tags, and has all of our registration info in it. But now I know to be on the watch for more docs coming in 3 weeks prior to sail.

Another great update, which I'm eating up with glee! Keep going!

Oooh what I wouldn't give to have his problems. :p The phrase "first world problems" comes to mind! LOL

Ah, okay...didn't know that! You're right - on the front it says "Cruise Vacation Guide" right there. I assumed it was our docs because it includes our luggage tags, and has all of our registration info in it. But now I know to be on the watch for more docs coming in 3 weeks prior to sail.

You will have a marvelous time!!

Jancruz1

First we loved our tour of Chateauneuf du Pape and brought some very special wines onboard. Very happy to pay the 25$ corkage for the optimum tonight.

Freddy continues to do a great job. Everything shines in our bathroom!

Breakfast and dinner in the Terrace Cafe. Service was Aplus in the morning. Latte in less than 60 seconds after I was seated outside on the deck. More rotating specials than I recall on earlier cruises. More offers fresh from the kitchen like eggs Benedict , fresh and perfect.

In the evening it remains hit or miss to get a sommelier in the cafe. Sight lines are not good and many people move in and out quickly.

My two cents. . . . Have a pull up paper wine bottle in the drink menu which sits on each table. If you want the sommelier just pull up a tap like a children's book to extend the bottle higher than the drink menu. Sommeliers could see this signal and come right over.

Quite a few of the cruisers have mentioned the steaks are all slightly undercooked this cruise. We decided medium means medium/rare this cruise!

The cafe had a few good local dishes tonight. I think everyone appreciates a taste of the region when we are in port. Provence is a great region for fall vegetables and simple spices. Riviera never seems full with large and varied public areas. The weather is great for October and cruisers are using the outside loungers ( all with navy blue Oceania blankets added).

We are in Monaco today and this port is always gorgeous. We have a car to take us to Nice this afternoon. They are offering an outdoor movie tonight as well as the Oceania Orchestra in Horizons playing music from the 50s to 70s.

Public areas remain very clean with a young man who's only job seems to be going about the ship cleaning hand rails. I have not heard any coughs etc. onboard and we are using hand sanitizer often.

Many of the cruisers onboard are staying on after Rome for the second cruise.

I will be back with another update soon.