Onboard Riviera

dundeene

I do not know what drinks "package" the OP has got as there is no Non alcoholic drinks package is there? J

They may be thinking Oceania is like other main stream lines where they charge for smoothies & ice cream etc...

some people do not read the website or brochures to see what is & is not included on Oceania then are disappointed in the cruise

just read the review section here

They may be thinking Oceania is like other main stream lines where they charge for smoothies & ice cream etc...

some people do not read the website or brochures to see what is & is not included on Oceania then are disappointed in the cruise

just read the review section here

sorry to disagree, but there is no charge on main stream cruise lines (at least the ones I have sailed) for a smoothie or ice cream.

Main stream cruise lines are not that bad;):D

My main one for the last few years has been HAL and primarily the Prinsendam - no charge and no problem. Smoothies can be made there easily - so I would think that Oceania can do the same.

sorry to disagree, but there is no charge on main stream cruise lines (at least the ones I have sailed) for a smoothie or ice cream.

Main stream cruise lines are not that bad;):D That is subjective ;)

My main one for the last few years has been HAL and primarily the Prinsendam - no charge and no problem. Smoothies can be made there easily - so I would think that Oceania can do the same.

There is no charge for the smoothies on Oceania

my point was not sure the bartenders make them or just the place at WAVES or if you can ask for one with vegetables as the OP asked about

I am not sure if it normal for HAL to charge for milkshakes or not but they did on our chartered cruise last yr

also Princess charged for them and sundaes at the pool deck but that was a few yrs back

some lines have soda cards, coffee cards, water packages

Oceania does not

On HAL we had to pay extra for Capuchinos

Edited by LHT28

There is no charge for the smoothies on Oceania

my point was not sure the bartenders make them or just the place at WAVES or if you can ask for one with vegetables as the OP asked about

I am not sure if it normal for HAL to charge for milkshakes or not but they did on our chartered cruise last yr

also Princess charged for them and sundaes at the pool deck but that was a few yrs back

some lines have soda cards, coffee cards, water packages

Oceania does not

On HAL we had to pay extra for Capuchinos

Smoothies, that's what we are talking about? Can't believe that is what this thread has gotten to. Who cares? Lets talk about something we care about. :(:(:(

Smoothies, that's what we are talking about? Can't believe that is what this thread has gotten to. Who cares? Lets talk about something we care about. :(:(:(

Do you mean about something that YOU care about? :D

Apparently a lot of people do care about smoothies :)

A couple of years ago our favorite bartender Ryan, had a running joke with us as we would bring bananas from the breakfast bar to have him make us a virgin banana daquiri at the pool bar each morning.

So it wasn't a problem and shouldn't be for you to do.

A couple of years ago our favorite bartender Ryan, had a running joke with us as we would bring bananas from the breakfast bar to have him make us a virgin banana daquiri at the pool bar each morning.

So it wasn't a problem and shouldn't be for you to do.

Are there any veggies at the breakfast/lunch bar for OP to take to the bartender (I generally don't eat veggies, so I didn't notice).

Edited by Paulchili

Are there any veggies at the breakfast/lunch bar for OP to take to the bartender (I generally don't eat veggies, so I didn't notice).

I do not eat them for breakfast so not sure if they have them or not but generally they do at lunch :D

Put me in the smoothie and veggie crowd ... but I also have only seen them at the Waves ice cream station. If OP wants a special kind of smoothie (as with veggies) that might be tricky. My personal reaction is asking a bar tended to do it wouldn't work ... but who knows. OTOH, taking your ingredients to the ice cream bar might well work. It can't hurt to ask.

When we come back from a tour in a hot climate, my first stop is at the smoothie station ...

Mura

Do you mean about something that YOU care about? :D

Apparently a lot of people do care about smoothies :)

I doubt that very many people care about smoothies. In all the years on this board I have never read any post dealing with smoothies. That says it all. :):):)

I doubt that very many people care about smoothies. In all the years on this board I have never read any post dealing with smoothies. That says it all. :):):)

When I put in a search for "smoothies" on Oceania board, this is what I came up with:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=78149369

Obviously, not all these threads are entirely about smoothies but the word came up in all these threads (2 pages of them).

So I guess some people do talk about them.

Disclaimer - I've never had one and never will :D

Edited by Paulchili

In the Terrace this morning I grabbed my favorite Oceania breakfast. A latte and a chocolate croissant. The croissant was perfectly delicious.

I noticed Belgian waffle on the menu. Not good! Hard like a dry biscuit and cold throughout.

Most cruisers are leaving today as another cruise begins. I did come in just as the breakfast was ending. This is small issue on a great cruise so far. Service in the Terrace was very attentive as it has been this entire cruise.

Watching the cleaning crew move about the ship and decks is very interesting. This is a very thorough crew. I am sitting in the concierge lounge as the machines that serve beverage are being cleaning. The decks are scrubbed and everything is sparkling for the new passengers.

We skipped our reservation last night at Polo because our tour arrived back too late. (it was a privately arranged tour to Lucca.)

We ordered room service for the 1st time and it arrived in about 20 minutes. Colds were cold and hots were warm.

The internet is very slow. It is frustrating but we are all used to the high speed service we receive at home.

Our cabin remains well stocked and very tidy.

We look forward to the next 8 days on -board.

Service at Jacques was very good. Our waiter was jovin(sp) and he tried very hard to please.

I do not like the added two tops near the pillars. We felt crowded. I believe Oceania may have added the two tops to meet the needs of couples,who want an intimate experience at Jacques and request dining alone.

I think you mean the tables for two jammed against the round pillars? If so I totally agree. I do not like them either. And we were seated at one on our last Riviera cruise. I asked for another table - that table felt as though we were "rubbing elbows" with the pillar AND each other - but none were available. Our waitress (from Russia) said "Don't worry - I will provide such excellent service this evening you won't even notice the pillars" And she did! I do not think I have ever had such a wonderful waitress.

I complimented her and mentioned her to the Maître d'Hôtel when we left AND asked for her for our next dinner at Jacques - I didn't worry about which table we sat at - just wanted her to be our waitress. How about that for service??

I think you mean the tables for two jammed against the round pillars? If so I totally agree. I do not like them either. And we were seated at one on our last Riviera cruise. I asked for another table - that table felt as though we were "rubbing elbows" with the pillar AND each other - but none were available. Our waitress (from Russia) said "Don't worry - I will provide such excellent service this evening you won't even notice the pillars" And she did! I do not think I have ever had such a wonderful waitress.

I complimented her and mentioned her to the Maître d'Hôtel when we left AND asked for her for our next dinner at Jacques - I didn't worry about which table we sat at - just wanted her to be our waitress. How about that for service??

Hi , can you give me the name of the Maitre d'Hotel who is in overall charge of all the restaurants, Just interested as I will be on Riviera in two weeks.

We have been busy making new friends and touring so I have not updated this thread in a bit longer than usual.

We are in Messina today as rough seas prevent us from tendering at Taormina.

Yesterday we were in Naples instead of Sorrento for the same reasons. For those who complain about Oceania not returning port fees because of a missed port. . . . no one ever seems to mention that Oceania does not ADD port fees when we dock instead of tendering.

Seas were a bit rough last night but the larger ships handle them very well.

Continuing cruisers were offered lunch in the GDR while taking on new cruisers for the next leg of our GV. Julia was so polite if we had used her "please" and "thank you" as a drinking game we would have been unable to walk back to our cabin. She was very sweet and knew the menu and preparation methods very well. We wondered if there might be a glass of champagne or something special for the few of us on board. (there was not)

I enjoyed a properly cooked but thinner than expected strip steak. I understand all Oceania's beef is from Texas regardless of where the ships are.

We had a perfectly cooked whole Maine lobster in Polo with Muhamed as a server. He was very attentive and one of the best on-board. We were seated at one of the two tops overlooking the ship where the windows slope. Very romantic with excellent views. My husband had filet and lobster tail and felt both very well executed.

The lobster bisque soup tasted as I remembered it, except that the lobster pieces were diced very small. The dessert tasting plate with 5 tiny deserts was wonderful. It included a New York style cheesecake, browning with fudge sauce and vanilla ice cream, and key lime pie.

The restaurant manager checked each table throughout the evening to make sure diners are happy. We took a quick moment to chat with him and he is very proud of Oceania's commitment to high quality dining.

While docked in Rome we enjoyed a "sea day" on the ship. Riviera was nearly empty as cruisers where in Rome to depart or on tours. We were literally alone on the spa deck and used the whirlpool, hot/dry saunas, and rain shower. It was very relaxing and we had been to Rome 3 times before. I think the spa spaces and concierges are the most under-utilized assets on-board. I have had so many 1st time cruisers ask questions to me that the concierge could easily assist them with. The concierges on this sailing are both very service oriented and helpful.

Freddy continues to keep our cabin well stocked and clean. He always greets us in the hall and has a very genuine smile!

Last night we noticed the tables near the pillars in Jacques were adjusted away from the pillars and chairs moved to give a less crowded feel. Joven was our waiter and again provided excellent service. I had the Iberico pork for the 1st time and it lived up to my expectations. The poached dessert was moist with rum poured on top. My husband had the special of Veal with prune sauce and it was the most tender I have tried.

I have noticed a trend toward "selfie" photos in the specialty restaurants. Not my favorite trend:confused:

The captain's party filled all of Horizons last night. Drinks were flowing freely and the new set of cruisers seemed excited to be on-board. Again I noticed many more cruisers in there 30s 40s and 50s than on previous cruises.

It is raining today so we will continue to wait for the sun.

Edited by dundeene

Hi , can you give me the name of the Maitre d'Hotel who is in overall charge of all the restaurants, Just interested as I will be on Riviera in two weeks.

I think that would be the Food & Beverage Manager but I am not sure and anyway I have no idea who would be on board now as the staff are rotated on and off the ships. When we were on board Damien Lacroix was GM. I met the Bar Manager (in connection with not being able to get an Apérol Spritz on board!!) but for the rest - sorry! no idea!

For those who complain about Oceania not returning port fees because of a missed port. . . . no one ever seems to mention that Oceania does not ADD port fees when we dock instead of tendering.

I enjoyed a properly cooked but thinner than expected strip steak. I understand all Oceania's beef is from Texas regardless of where the ships are.

Couple of comment regarding the above 2 specific quotes from the on board post.

While you are absolutely correct regarding the showing of port fees separately, those fees are "included" in your fare much like the "free" included air fare and other "free" items. By not showing the port fees separately, O is able to keep those fees that you do pay thus increasing profits when conditions don't allow a port to be reached.

Regarding the beef, certainly hope the beef is NOT from Texas. Almost all beef from Texas is grass/range fed and nowhere near as good as grain fed cattle from further North. Having lived in Texas the past 30 years we only buy grain fed beef from the midwest and avoid Texas beef completely.