Just off the NCL Star May never sail NCL again

jewliana

Ok, I get you are l frustrated, but most of this is inexperience on your part.

Sounds like you showed up at the pier at 9am or at the most 10.

You know that the ship comes in full and has to be emptied of people and restocked. Why not just show up at noon. Same with all food places - it is a bonus that they serve food at lunch on day one any cruise!

and, experienced cruisers know you cannot get booze on a lot of ships until he ship has cleared the pier or further out to the ocean depending on the law of the state.

Suggest you arrive later, when the ship is prepared for you to board, and the "extra lines for suites' are open.

some of the problem is they never have enough port staff, but, those staff (port staff are not NCL employess) were still letting people off the ship, not able to concentrate on the demanding people that show up way to early and expect to get a huge warm welcome! Not happening!

Same with all food places - it is a bonus that they serve food at lunch on day one any cruise!

and, experienced cruisers know you cannot get booze on a lot of ships until he ship has cleared the pier or further out to the ocean depending on the law of the state.

What?? Lunch is not a "bonus". It's included with your cruise fare. That statement is absurd. And while some liquor sales are restricted at some ports, it is not a case that you can not get any alcohol before hitting the ocean.

What?? Lunch is not a "bonus". It's included with your cruise fare. That statement is absurd. And while some liquor sales are restricted at some ports, it is not a case that you can not get any alcohol before hitting the ocean.

Nanwell might mean that NCL does have one of the MDRs open for embarkation lunch, when most cruiselines don't. It's a wonderful treat not to drag your bags to the buffet, search for a table, then stand in line to serve yourself.

While the ship is still in port, local taxes can be applied to beverage sales. You can get the drinks, but at a higher cost.

Nanwell might mean that NCL does have one of the MDRs open for embarkation lunch, when most cruiselines don't. It's a wonderful treat not to drag your bags to the buffet, search for a table, then stand in line to serve yourself.

While the ship is still in port, local taxes can be applied to beverage sales. You can get the drinks, but at a higher cost.

OP talked about lunch in Cagneys and the subpar service.

Nanwel said "Same with all food places - it is a bonus that they serve food at lunch on day one any cruise!"

Yeah, not a bonus to get lunch the first day...

Sorry you had such a bad vacation experience. Yes, things go wrong from time to time but you had more than that. i have had a suite several times on NCL & it was wonderful, sorry you paid so much money for, well, nothing you expected. I think I would write a letter to NCL.

Something drastic must have happened during the last 6 months - we cruised with the Star for 14 days in June 2015 and it was amazing. Service was excellent in all departments, nothing to complain about really....

Strange that just the change of embarkation port and crew made such a negative difference - especially since most crew members have been on other ships in the fleet before.

I have however learned by experience in the past to never book a cruise on any ship within the first month or two of a new megaship in the fleet being launched, as it seems like they move all the best crew over to the new ship and then have a lot of new and inexperienced crew coming to the "older" ships.

Just off the Star Jan 10th sailing. It was a fantastic cruise. Whatever problems they may of had in the past were not present on this sailing. The crew and staff were all polite and professional, and always with a warm greeting. We have taken 13 previous NCL cruises and a total of 16 cruises, and this one was excellent. We would highly recommend this cruise/ship to all.

Happy to answer any questions

Safe sailing

I did not mean you cannot get lunch on cruise day, I mean, give me a break - they were on board as soon as possible and must have ran to get lunch as soon as they could - food is served all day long - give the staff time to be "ready to serve you". A lot of people claim to have a bad cruise on all cruise lines when they have pushed to get on board the second they can -you can afford to take a breath and enjoy a walk around the ship before you "must be first to eat". I Do not think they were starving to death.

I personally do not eat lunch on day one - it is too busy, the staff have had change overs - may take a small plate from the buffet to the pool deck and sit in the quiet and enjoy looking out at the port we are leaving.

I did not mean you cannot get lunch on cruise day, I mean, give me a break - they were on board as soon as possible and must have ran to get lunch as soon as they could - food is served all day long - give the staff time to be "ready to serve you". A lot of people claim to have a bad cruise on all cruise lines when they have pushed to get on board the second they can -you can afford to take a breath and enjoy a walk around the ship before you "must be first to eat". I Do not think they were starving to death.

I personally do not eat lunch on day one - it is too busy, the staff have had change overs - may take a small plate from the buffet to the pool deck and sit in the quiet and enjoy looking out at the port we are leaving.

Believe me, they won't start boarding until the staff are prepared for service. Lunch isn't a bonus. If someone wants to eat lunch they should have decent service. Yes, turnaround day is hard, but that doesn't excuse the experience the OP posted.

I personally do not eat lunch on day one -.

While you might not eat lunch on embarkation days

What about those pax that flew in morning of and came straight from the airport

what about the Pax that didn't spend $20 for the morning buffet at their hotel knowing their lunch is free onboard the ship

What about a diabetic

What about a mom with kids

For me I personally would be more upset not getting my drink as that's when I know im on a cruise vacation :o

I agree there are circumstances that make it necessary. but I do not like the noise level or confusion of the buffet, and I will get a lot of "served" meals over the cruise. so I prefer to enjoy some of the comforts of the ship that have not filled up with passenger's yet.

My point is if the confusion of day one is the cruisers only complaint - almost all lines have the same problem, they need to arrive later and NOT have the me 1st attitude. That would have avoided a lot of their problem.

They cannot be a longtime cruise critic member - those issues have come up before.

Embarkation is only different for the passengers. It's just another day serving food for the dining crew. While they get their weekly orders in, it's not the cooks or servers that do that.

Actually turn arounds are hectic for all ship personnel. Inevitably there will be changes as some employees leave the ship and are replaced by newbies or others that are promoted from lower positions. Along with training people into their new positions chefs are faced with a complete restocking of food stores. That means menu changes base on what foods are of high enough quality or, in some cases available at all. Now add 2,000+ hungry new passengers that are all headed to the buffet with their carry-ons in tow. Turn around for a cruise ship crew is one of thy most challenging tasks in the world. Most of the ship employees work 6 - 12 hour shifts each day. I have seen a few rude or impudent crewmen but there is no shortage of loud, pushy passengers.

That was the line I was looking for - loud pushy passengers! I so enjoy the peace of the pool deck or a quiet corner where I can watch the world go by. I will not starve before dinner - I just DO NOT enjoy Lunch on the day we board, included or not!

As a suite guest, I have been taken to the suite venue for lunch by the direction of the concierge. I would assume they would be ready for us because we were brought there by the concierge. Of course it has always been a very leisurely lunch as it is the first day and things take a little longer. I have no problem with that there's plenty of time to kill waiting for rooms to be ready and it's a very relaxing place to hang out until then.

I will never forget my Alaska cruise on celebrity summit. We traveled that morning got to the pier got to the buffet and there was a literally no food left on the buffet my mother is a diabetic and it was very frustrating we had to wait till after the muster drill to find something for her.

Actually turn arounds are hectic for all ship personnel. Inevitably there will be changes as some employees leave the ship and are replaced by newbies or others that are promoted from lower positions. Along with training people into their new positions chefs are faced with a complete restocking of food stores. That means menu changes base on what foods are of high enough quality or, in some cases available at all. Now add 2,000+ hungry new passengers that are all headed to the buffet with their carry-ons in tow. Turn around for a cruise ship crew is one of thy most challenging tasks in the world. Most of the ship employees work 6 - 12 hour shifts each day. I have seen a few rude or impudent crewmen but there is no shortage of loud, pushy passengers.

Crew members work long hours every day, every week. Embarkation day( turnaround) is no different for most of them. They do this 52 weeks year. It's not a big deal. They'll say it is on the travel channel when they want you to think they're going crazy, because that's more interesting, but it's just another part of their week. The provisioning master has a busy day, as does his crew and the dock workers. As it is for the HD. For the dining crew. it's same old, same old. The lunch menu doesn't change @ noon on turn around day. That foods already there.

Edited by CruisinHarvey

Just off the Star Jan 10th sailing. It was a fantastic cruise. Whatever problems they may of had in the past were not present on this sailing. The crew and staff were all polite and professional, and always with a warm greeting. We have taken 13 previous NCL cruises and a total of 16 cruises, and this one was excellent. We would highly recommend this cruise/ship to all.

Happy to answer any questions

Safe sailing

Hi Tina, we are cruising the Star Feb 28th we have never been on her. sounds like you enjoyed it! I know Roy (our favorite Butler is on) hope all is well. Any good tips for the ports?

Andrea

Crew members work long hours every day, every week. Embarkation day( turnaround) is no different for most of them. They do this 52 weeks year. It's not a big deal. They'll say it is on the travel channel when they want you to think they're going crazy, because that's more interesting, but it's just another part of their week. The provisioning master has a busy day, as does his crew and the dock workers. As it is for the HD. For the dining crew. it's same old, same old. The lunch menu doesn't change @ noon on turn around day. That foods already there.

I guess we will have to respectfully agree to disagree. What you describe as "no big deal" is described by the crew as "the 18 hours of hell."

Between 6 pm (day before turnaround) and 5 am all Luggage must be picked up from about 1,200 staterooms to a central location below decks. Each bag has to be checked for proper ID tags

5 am - The ship docks and must be ready to sail again within 12 hours.

6 am - All Luggage is unloaded at the dock.

7 am to 10:30 am - All passengers disembark. All should be off the ship by 10:30. This is difficult because some passengers want to get one last meal or spend a few more minutes in the pool or hot tub.

11 am - Boarding of new passengers begins as soon as the ship is certified empty. The target for this is 15 to 20 minutes after the final passenger leaves. That is actually better than most airline turnarounds. Suite passengers board first, then priority Latitudes members, then by boarding section. No mater how early passengers show up, no one will board before the ship is totally devoid of passengers.

1 pm - All staterooms clean - That means all of the linens and towels have been stripped from 1,200 cabins and sent to the below deck laundry. All cabins must be completely cleaned and readied for new guests. Each steward must complete this process for 15 to 20 staterooms. Below decks is pandemonium. Tons of new food stores must be loaded, inventoried, checked for quality and freshness, segregated into their proper storage areas. Food that does not meet standard will be rejected and must be replaced before sailing. Tons of incinerated garbage must be off-loaded, repairs to staterooms completed, and new menus approved.

4 pm - Last call for passengers and the terminal doors are locked. Literally hundreds of new passengers will slow the process by arriving without proper documentation. Documents will either be lost, stolen, or forgotten. Others will inadvertently pack these documents in their checked luggage. When this happens, employees must track down the luggage and return it to the terminal. Before the ship can sail the APIS (Advanced Passenger Information System) which contains a list of all passengers, must be submitted to Customs and Immigration. If the APIS is not submitted by the deadline, the ship misses it's departure slot and will be delayed in departing. If the ship is delayed, the passengers responsible will probably be sipping on an umbrella drink while complaining about the slow service.

Did I say I was going to cancel??????? We will be on the cruise, trust me. We have the Garden Villa booked and we are going to enjoy!!!!!!:D

Our first GV was on the Star several years ago. We have now traveled in all the GV's but the Star always feels like coming home. The decks on all the others, except the Dawn, just don't compare. And now that they are adding the room on the 15th floor of the Jewel class ships it has taken away more space from the top deck as well as affected the view. The last time we sailed out of New York Harbor we had to find an area other than our deck to enjoy the Statue of Liberty. With what that room costs you shouldn't have to leave it to see anything. But the service in all of them has always been top notch. We will be on the Jewel in two weeks out of LA. Enjoy the Star. And take care of her for us!

You're dead wrong. Turnaround day is an all hands evolution. You may not think the dining staff is doing anything different but they are. All the dining facilities and equipment need to be deep cleaned in the case of a surprise inspection by the USCG or CDC. You may not think the hotel staff is doing anything different, but they are up several hours earlier than normal preparing to get the rooms ready for the next guests. Who do you think stayed up half the night taking luggage from all the hallways down to the hold area?

If you think turnaround day is no different for the crew than any other day, you are very, very mistaken.

I guess we will have to respectfully agree to disagree. What you describe as "no big deal" is described by the crew as "the 18 hours of hell."

Between 6 pm (day before turnaround) and 5 am all Luggage must be picked up from about 1,200 staterooms to a central location below decks. Each bag has to be checked for proper ID tags

5 am - The ship docks and must be ready to sail again within 12 hours.

6 am - All Luggage is unloaded at the dock.

7 am to 10:30 am - All passengers disembark. All should be off the ship by 10:30. This is difficult because some passengers want to get one last meal or spend a few more minutes in the pool or hot tub.

11 am - Boarding of new passengers begins as soon as the ship is certified empty. The target for this is 15 to 20 minutes after the final passenger leaves. That is actually better than most airline turnarounds. Suite passengers board first, then priority Latitudes members, then by boarding section. No mater how early passengers show up, no one will board before the ship is totally devoid of passengers.

1 pm - All staterooms clean - That means all of the linens and towels have been stripped from 1,200 cabins and sent to the below deck laundry. All cabins must be completely cleaned and readied for new guests. Each steward must complete this process for 15 to 20 staterooms. Below decks is pandemonium. Tons of new food stores must be loaded, inventoried, checked for quality and freshness, segregated into their proper storage areas. Food that does not meet standard will be rejected and must be replaced before sailing. Tons of incinerated garbage must be off-loaded, repairs to staterooms completed, and new menus approved.

4 pm - Last call for passengers and the terminal doors are locked. Literally hundreds of new passengers will slow the process by arriving without proper documentation. Documents will either be lost, stolen, or forgotten. Others will inadvertently pack these documents in their checked luggage. When this happens, employees must track down the luggage and return it to the terminal. Before the ship can sail the APIS (Advanced Passenger Information System) which contains a list of all passengers, must be submitted to Customs and Immigration. If the APIS is not submitted by the deadline, the ship misses it's departure slot and will be delayed in departing. If the ship is delayed, the passengers responsible will probably be sipping on an umbrella drink while complaining about the slow service.

I agree completely about those things listed. I was responding to the OP about the lunch. Line cooks and servers have very little different to do day to day.

It has been our experiece the past three cruises as a suite guest that suite lunch was available as soon as we checked in. Typically we went to lunch around noon and we weren't the first suite guests to check in. This was our experience on both the Dawn (twice) and Star, in all three instances we ate in Cagney's.