Do I need a formal outfit

Jim from Salem

We are planning a trans-Atlantic cruise this April on the Regal Princess. After the cruise we plan to explore the Baltic on our own. We plan to pack light to use public transportation to get to new places. I really don’t want to drag around a suit after the cruise just for formal nights on the cruise. We don’t want to miss formal dinner since the best food is usually on formal nights in the dining room. Any suggestion? One idea is bring a throw away suit.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. You can check out the Princess board for the ten gazillion threads on what form of apparel does or doesn't gain one admission to the MDR on formal nights.

But since you simply asked a practical question I can suggest the following:

1. Formal wear is available for rent from Princess. But an inexpensive suit you discard at the end of the cruise will likely cost less.

2. A tuxedo and all necessary accessories weighs less than one pair of jeans. "Dragging it around" after the cruise is hardly a burden, unless the issue is that you prefer not to be reminded of having to dress up onboard.

not sure on a TA but DH took a blazer with some dress pants we were not turned away for dining on formal night

This was a few years ago so unless they are more strict on the dress code you will be fine

I would ask on the Princess forum what the practice is

Hi Jim,

Formal Night on most lines is now more casual and a bit "looser" than in days gone by. Honestly, you will be fine in a pair of dress pants, long sleeved shirt and a tie. All of these items can go in your suitcase and you do not need a garment bag.

Considering how many men take off their jacket and put it on the back of the chair in the dining room, I'm sure you will look just fine.

Enjoy your cruise. :)

Hi Jim,

Formal Night on most lines is now more casual and a bit "looser" than in days gone by. Honestly, you will be fine in a pair of dress pants, long sleeved shirt and a tie. All of these items can go in your suitcase and you do not need a garment bag.

Jim, welcome to Cruise Critic.

The above is true on Princess Cruises and most other mass market cruises now. You might want to consider taking a sports coat. You could wear/carry it to fly and board the ship. Never hurts to have a sports coat along with you.

Look forward to having a great cruise! :)

I've done a number of trans ocean sailings and agree that they tend to be dressier than Alaska or Caribbean cruises, for whatever reason. Just wear a dark sport jacket on the plane and then pack a dress shirt, dress slacks and tie and you'll be just fine for formal nights.

Hi Jim,

Considering how many men take off their jacket and put it on the back of the chair in the dining room, I'm sure you will look just fine.

Enjoy your cruise. :)

This is my dress for formal nites.

On a Princess cruise over Thanksgiving, we had decided to skip the dining room on formal night and brought no formal clothes. I was a little sad as we made our way to the buffet.

But it was so nice! They even dressed it up with table cloths and decorations. The staff was great, it waso uncrowded they had time to chat a bit. Comparing notes with other cruisers afterwards, the food items were nearly identical.

That experience put an end to us ever packing formal.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. As a newbie you're probably completely unaware that ship dress codes, tipping, and smoking are the three hot-button topics here. Opinions can get pretty strong.

What is acceptable varies with the ship from very formal (Cunard) to just collared shirts (HAL). Princess is probably somewhere in between. Since you are sailing on Regal Princess, I'd suggest you ask on the Princess board on what is the norm for formal nights on their transatlantic crossings. There are people who have done that.

I hope you will follow the expected standard for TAs on Princess and don't follow the "wear whatever you want" advice. You want to go to the MDR on formal night to enjoy the best dinner. But others also enjoy the feeling of elegance when others are nicely dressed. Seeing jeans and t-shirts can spoil that ambiance as overcooked meat would spoil a nice dinner.

My husband always wears a sports coat on the plane and then he wears it most days when we are traveling in Europe as well as on the ship for formal nights. He wears it with jeans or with trousers. He tends to mostly wear business shirts, but also wears polo shirts. This is pretty standard for what most business people would wear on the street in various European countries unless they are tourists and decide they want to wear shorts and t shirts. But April is usually very cool and rainy, so I don't see shorts and t shirts as very comfortable for that time of year. In fact, you might consider packing some silk long underwear so you can layer your clothes for warmth should you be there during a particularly cool spell. Also, if you go to the theater, opera or ballet during your time in the Baltics (which is really a very magical experience) then you will need the sports coat and trousers.

My husband and I did a TA last year in spring. We packed with just a carry on as we were spending 6 weeks touring Europe. We did just fine not having the formal wear. My husband wore a pair of dark slacks and a collard shirt, I wore a back dress or black capri's with a dressier top. We were never turned away nor do I feel we spoiled it for those who wanted to dress up. I did research how to pack in a carry on, rolling vs layering vs bundling. We did the rolling. It worked great for us. It is a matter of choice and your comfort level. Do what makes you happy. Don't worry about the fashion police I doubt if they can ticket in international waters. LOL

This is just my opinion and how we feel.

On a Princess cruise over Thanksgiving, we had decided to skip the dining room on formal night and brought no formal clothes. I was a little sad as we made our way to the buffet.

But it was so nice! They even dressed it up with table cloths and decorations. The staff was great, it waso uncrowded they had time to chat a bit. Comparing notes with other cruisers afterwards, the food items were nearly identical.

That experience put an end to us ever packing formal.

While we like to dress up every night - not just formal nights on cruises... I could not agree more that the buffet is a very pleasant experience. We are elite on a few lines... even so, there are a few where we don't feel the MDR experience is that great, so we skip it. Sometimes we go the buffet instead, when we have done so, we found the food and experience to be very pleasant.

The OP said the food in the MDR is the best on formal nights... that was true years ago. If you look at the menu today, formal night's are not that impressive any more. The menu in general, day to day, is not that impressive anymore. We don't cruise for food, we eat better at home actually.

Given this, I would not be too concerned if you eat at the buffet that you will miss out.

Husband likes to wear his tuxedo. We don't mind what other people do I just wish some would give the same courtesy and not imply we are the odd ones out. Transatlantic crossings do tend to be more formal, especially on Cunard and P&O although we did see someone on Queen Mary in a leather jacket and Tshirt:)

For some a cruise may be a one off special occasion and they welcome the opportunity to dress up.

Your other option to look into is to use a service like the luggage valet service from Princess. For a small fee they will pick up your luggage at the port and then ship it home. If you won't be home for a few weeks then have it sent to your office or friend in town's address. I have never taken a TA but seeing as there are lots of days at sea I would think dressing up would be a integral part of the fun.

http://www.princess.com/learn/answer/before_you_leave/luggage.html

I always find it interesting when these questions re: formal night attire from new cruisers or new-to-Princess cruisers crop up, that there are always the few posters who proudly state that the wear whatever they want and Princess recommendations be damned!! It's sort of like their badge of honor that they did "their thing" and got away with it.

To the original poster .... TO answer your initial question ... No, you do not have to take formal clothing if you don't want to, but consider packing something that you would be able to wear to a 4 star restaurant for dinner to celebrate a very special occasion.

Edited by flamomo