Norovirus on Azura

finalstraw

Scuttlebutter - I know what you mean about the bread rolls. I even resorted to not having a bread roll. I think others at the table must have thought I was weight conscious. I also do not use the public loos and on returning to the cabin dive into the bathroom to wash my hands. There are many items it can be picked up from for example the pens when you are given something to sign and cruise cards, the list goes on.

We will start to hear more this time of year going through to Feb, our daughter

Is a micribiologist Noro is more active In the winter months Noro otherwise same as Winter vomiting Bug,

Her tips from the expert, wipe the remote controls, door handles, telephone in your cabin,

if the previous cruisers had the illness you will be surprised how far

the 'germs' get in to the atmosphere and land. Yuk :eek:

If using public loos open doors with tissues, other doors with elbows seen my daughter do

this as a standard all year round, don't touch banisters and use tissues in lift for floor buttons, Hopefully this will reduce your risk.

Sounds abit over the top I try to stick to her guidelines but we are all human :)

Sue

Scuttlebutter - I know what you mean about the bread rolls. I even resorted to not having a bread roll. I think others at the table must have thought I was weight conscious. I also do not use the public loos and on returning to the cabin dive into the bathroom to wash my hands. There are many items it can be picked up from for example the pens when you are given something to sign and cruise cards, the list goes on.

I never take the bread rolls. They travel around way too many tables.

The "pens" are one that really concern me. Absolutely loads of people touch them.

We will start to hear more this time of year going through to Feb, our daughter

Is a micribiologist Noro is more active In the winter months Noro otherwise same as Winter vomiting Bug,

Her tips from the expert, wipe the remote controls, door handles, telephone in your cabin,

if the previous cruisers had the illness you will be surprised how far

the 'germs' get in to the atmosphere and land. Yuk :eek:

If using public loos open doors with tissues, other doors with elbows seen my daughter do

this as a standard all year round, don't touch banisters and use tissues in lift for floor buttons, Hopefully this will reduce your risk.

Sounds abit over the top I try to stick to her guidelines but we are all human :)

Sue

I'm not obsessive but I don't think that's over the top at all.

After seeing how fellow passengers behave it makes me cringe.

But the bread rolls are put in the basket by someone wearing gloves and then served to you with tongs. For goodness sake that's going a bit far. All the people in the kitchens wear gloves. Also the hand gel is useless against a virus like noro. You would need an antiviral. Hand washing in the loo with soap and water is much better.

Edited by jeanlyon

Unfortunately Norovirus or the Winter vomiting bug is not "born" on the ships - it is brought on by passengers (& possibly) crew.The ship is merely the vehicle in which it is spread around....again by the passengers. No difference really to coughs colds, flu - all brought on board by passengers. Aircon doesn't help but that is a necessary evil..we would all soon moan if the aircon broke!

Its a dilemma isn't it - you fill out the health questionnaire when you board - who is going to honestly say they have had V or D, or a cold or similar in the previous 48 hours and risk missing their cruise....?

Good hygiene is the only defence. Again unfortunately, not all passengers practice that ...very selfish attitude.

Hope all of you about to embark Azura on Friday are not too inconvenienced....sounds like a deep clean is on the cards!

Another one for those of you concerned over Norovirus - what about touch screens on public displays? I think these have been introduced in the photo areas. Think I'll be taking some alcohol wipes as well as the hand sanitiser!

Hand hygiene is a serious point though, given that it's now thought germ transfer is probably more prevalent via hand contact than coughing and sneezing.

Another one for those of you concerned over Norovirus - what about touch screens on public displays? I think these have been introduced in the photo areas. Think I'll be taking some alcohol wipes as well as the hand sanitiser!

Hand hygiene is a serious point though, given that it's now thought germ transfer is probably more prevalent via hand contact than coughing and sneezing.

Touch screens are one thing that amaze me. Obviously the photograph screens have them. I always wash my hands after touching them. What amazes me is that our local doctors surgery has them to register your arrival. That must be the worst possible place for them.

For that reason part of the self protection advice is to try to avoid touching your mouth and/or nose as germs can be transferred by the hands.

Touch screens are one thing that amaze me. Obviously the photograph screens have them. I always wash my hands after touching them. What amazes me is that our local doctors surgery has them to register your arrival. That must be the worst possible place for them.

Same with my doctor, i use a knuckle on my left hand or elbow etc.

A good innovation on Britannia is the provision of washbasins at the entrances to the buffet but not many people were using them.

They have now installed handbasins at the buffet entrance on Aurora as well. This is great for me as I am allergic to the hand gel; it strips the skin off my hands and makes them very painful so I avoid using it. Now I can wash my hands with soap and water instead which I did on the 3 occasions I used the Snatch and Grab.

Just seen a post on P&O's f/b site asking everyone to board 5 hrs later - they've apologised for the delay and said that they'll credit everyone £20 to allow them to get some refreshments during the delay while they do a deep clean.

From P&O's Facebook site 38 mins ago.....

' If you are joining Azura tomorrow we have some important information for you.

There has been an increase in gastrointestinal illness on board, we believe this was caused by Norovirus which is the second most frequently reported illness after the common cold.

As a result, embarkation will be starting later in the afternoon so we can clean the ship appropriately. We are asking guests to arrive 5 hours later than the arrival time given to them. We will be crediting all board accounts with £20 per person to allow you to get some refreshments on the way to Southampton.

For those guests travelling on a P&O Cruises organised coach please arrive at the coach as planned.

We are really sorry about the disruption but we do need this time so we can manage our cleaning appropriately.'

Edited by Scriv

Brilliant - I wonder what they expect us to do till (in our case) 8.30pm? We fly in to Southampton at 0930 ... It's going to be a long day - but we'll have £20 to spend - and it's my birthday so what the heck, we might just blow the lot!!!

Brilliant - I wonder what they expect us to do till (in our case) 8.30pm? We fly in to Southampton at 0930 ... It's going to be a long day - but we'll have £20 to spend - and it's my birthday so what the heck, we might just blow the lot!!!

Equally brilliantly, I wonder what you expect them to do?

Just a little mention for the staff in these circumtances. Not surpisingly, they too can either be feeling very poory or are needed to work even longer hours to cover for colleagues who are laid up. They don't enjoy quite the standard of accomodation as us passengers so I would imagine it would be a pretty miserable for them if they went down with it. Then they have the joy of clearing up what needs to be done and then have to be all smiling for the next lot of passengers who are fed up because they have been delayed by 5 whole hours (no doubt deliberately) by P&O.

When we had the delay, jools, we found a nice pub and enjoyed a nice long leisurely lunch and started our celebrations there with our £20..... I would much rather have that problem knowing the ship was being deep cleaned of Norovirus.