Celebrity Cruises Introduces Upgrade Program for Loyal Cruisers

JustAGirl79

No, we're not. I deleted the email, but it was offering upgrades for another 50% - 70% of the difference in room costs, depending on the category. You had to call for availability. Since we weren't interested, we didn't call. If it were just my wife and I, we might have, but it's a family trip and we picked our rooms based on proximity.

What is the date of your cruise? Thank you.

Well the new Program is working. We are on the Reflection Saturday and my T/A called me today with Celebrity on the Line.

Offered a sky Suite from our C3 NO Charge Complimentary!!! And it is to a Accessible One.

I never thought we would be offered an ungrade mainly because we have to have an accessible cabin.

But yes we are Elite Plus. So maybe that helped.

Can't wait for Saturday.

So I am a believer!!!

Congratulations! I think that was wonderful of Celebrity to fill an open accessible Sky Suite by upgrading a passenger who needs an accessible cabin. That's a classy move.

I just checked inventory for suites on my Caribbean cruise that leaves in 3 weeks. There are currently 26 available suites. Is that normal or does it seem like a lot of open suites for a cruise where all the inside, oceanview and most of the veranda cabins are sold out?

I called the big box TA I booked through and asked them to call Celebrity to find out if Celebrity plans to put out any Captains Club Reduced Rate Upgrade offers since there were so may open suites. I received a weird response saying that I booked a guarantee 1B cabin and was assigned a 1C which is already an upgrade. I'm not sure if this meant that since they already consider me to have an upgrade that I would be disqualified from the Reduced Rate Upgrade Program. Has anyone else heard this from Celebrity?

When I discussed the program with the TA she said their company has no idea how they can implement this individual offer program since a specific agent doesn't hold the reservation; it’s held by the “company” or whomever mans the call center at the time. When they receive upgrade offers from cruiselines they often take the form of a fax with an inquiry such as are any of your customers interested in xyz. It's not an individual offer for a specific booking. I’ve found this TA to be generous and easy to work with, but it seems I could miss out on potential upgrade opportunities unless I book through Celebrity or with an individual TA. This made me wonder if this is Celebrity's way of evening out the playing field for small TA’s by discreetly cutting out big TA bookings from this program. Am I reading too much into this?

This made me wonder if this is Celebrity's way of evening out the playing field for small TA’s by discreetly cutting out big TA bookings from this program. Am I reading too much into this?

I think you're reading WAYYYY to far into this. I just don't think they are that sophisticated to make it such a process, and don't want to turn off their biggest customers (who ain't us, its the big box TA's).

I really look at as doing 2 things:

1. Formalizing a process by telling their members they get first dibs - A process that has always been happening in most likelihood
  2. Changing from paying an increased cabin fare and referring tickets to paying an "Upgrade Fee" which helps them stick to their gins on no last minuet price drops. Fare remains the same on all suites, they just collected extra money.

It is really to me "marketing fluff" announcing an awesome perk, that is just fluff, like most of those listed on Concierge Class. It gave them some news for a week and a press release.

And it makes some people decide not to wait to book suites at standard prices, lest they get snapped up....so driving sales too I would think.

The upgrades are not a FREE upgrade - you have to pay - and the offer to do so will be emailed to you. I'm not sure how they will decided who gets an email.

Speaking of free upgrades, are these ever possible? We are causing on our 10yr anniversary this year...just curious.

Speaking of free upgrades, are these ever possible? We are causing on our 10yr anniversary this year...just curious.

Occasionally but very rare, this "new" program likely making them more rare. If you want a cabin, be prepared to at least pay to upgrade to it.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

The scheme works very well on Azamara I suspect that's what has given X the confidence to apply it.

Most cruise lines already do it. So X is behind the industry. Doesn't mean much, gets folks excited about something that most likely won't happen to them.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone seen or benefited from this new upgrade system? If so, what were the offers? We certainly aren't holding our breath for our January cruise, but just wondered how it's working out so far...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Edited by akowilm

Received a call today for our 12/21 Connie 5 day sailing for paid upgrades. We have 2 reservations linked together and both were had been noted to be called (one reservation was 4th or 5th on the list) for a paid upgrade. We had 2 suite gty's booked. Upgraded one to a RS the other to a PH. When they told me about the RS upgrade price I inquired if the PH (knew there was one available) was available for an upgrade. To my surprise it was. The difference between the RS and PH was $70 a day!

Received a call today for our 12/21 Connie 5 day sailing for paid upgrades. We have 2 reservations linked together and both were had been noted to be called (one reservation was 4th or 5th on the list) for a paid upgrade. We had 2 suite gty's booked. Upgraded one to a RS the other to a PH. When they told me about the RS upgrade price I inquired if the PH (knew there was one available) was available for an upgrade. To my surprise it was. The difference between the RS and PH was $70 a day!

How do you know where you were on the list?

My request was put in by my TA thru the shore side concierge who handles the pre-cruise requests for the Zeniths and top suites.

All she could say was that she put the request into revenue.

I find it interesting that you were charged the same amount to go from a RS to the PH as they wanted for going from a balcony to a concierge !!!!

Are we talking about the same "upgrade" program?

I thought the "if you are a captains club member" we might call you and offer some kind of a discounted upgrade was set up as "they will contact you"...NOT we needed to call and try to get on some kind of a list??

confused:confused::confused:

So we book via a big box TA. From what I understand if an upsell offer is made it would be to the TA who then has to communicate it to us, right?

Has anyone gotten the upsell offer via their TA? And offers are made ONLY via email, correct?

While it'd be great to get such an offer for our NZ/OZ cruise next month, I'm not optimistic. However, I would love even the slightest upsell for our August cruise, so what can I do to increase the odds of being sure we get the notification if it's made? Call Captain's Club, call our TA???

Are we talking about the same "upgrade" program?

I thought the "if you are a captains club member" we might call you and offer some kind of a discounted upgrade was set up as "they will contact you"...NOT we needed to call and try to get on some kind of a list??

confused:confused::confused:

We are elite and I had called a few times in the prior week and was told that they had not released the suites yet for "up selling". Today when I received the call, the message that was left said that it is first come first serve. There has to be some sort of list they work off of when they call to offer the upsells.

We are elite and I had called a few times in the prior week and was told that they had not released the suites yet for "up selling". Today when I received the call, the message that was left said that it is first come first serve. There has to be some sort of list they work off of when they call to offer the upsells.

Who did you call? I planned on calling Captains Club..

I don't think it's a coincidence that you had called before you got the offer. If they know someone is interested it saves them calling a bunch more people.

Edited by chamima

Who did you call? I planned on calling Captains Club..

I don't think it's a coincidence that you had called before you got the offer. If they know someone is interested it saves them calling a bunch more people.

I called captains club. This morning there were 6 RS available now it is showing 2, so people are taking offers.

Can you share some pricing examples? or at least some kind of general guideline as to what the offers are?

Got an email earlier this week for Connie 12/21. I am on freedom this week so there was a number to call to celebrity I thought. Well they let me use the house phone and the number was to my agent. We are booked conceige. And yes suites available. But not accessible. So no good for us. But the upgrade amount was $800. Did not ask what suite cat that would be for. I know my agent said he could call 10 days ahead for me for any upgrade I may want to try for. But of course the new system may now over ride that. I got that email Tuesday so that is 13 days ahead I believe.

Got an email earlier this week for Connie 12/21. I am on freedom this week so there was a number to call to celebrity I thought. Well they let me use the house phone and the number was to my agent. We are booked conceige. And yes suites available. But not accessible. So no good for us. But the upgrade amount was $800. Did not ask what suite cat that would be for. I know my agent said he could call 10 days ahead for me for any upgrade I may want to try for. But of course the new system may now over ride that. I got that email Tuesday so that is 13 days ahead I believe.

One of the suites we gave up for our upgrade was an accessible sky suite. for us to upgrade from the suite GTY, which we booked was $450 (for the cabin) for the RS and $800 for the PH.

One of the suites we gave up for our upgrade was an accessible sky suite. for us to upgrade from the suite GTY, which we booked was $450 (for the cabin) for the RS and $800 for the PH.

Well I guess I did not call in time. But not too disappointed love the cabin we have off the aft. Hugh balcony. Thx