It's official! Formal nights gone, evening chic in! (3 Threads Merged)

Wj420

Well as I'm not your secretary. Go and count how many likes of the post there are vs how many comments by individual cruisers to the negative. Take out all the comments from people that like it and all the duplicate posters and then report back.

CC is such a small sliver of the cruise market, made up mostly of enthusiasts / repeat cruisers. While it may be a representative voice for a portion of the market I think it is a long ways away from being a barometer of the overall market.

CC is such a small sliver of the cruise market, made up mostly of enthusiasts / repeat cruisers. While it may be a representative voice for a portion of the market I think it is a long ways away from being a barometer of the overall market.

how does one 'like' a post ??

oops sorry that is a modern thing [emoji33]🤓🤓

I'm a fan of formal nights, and I am someone under 40 and wear a shirt+tie every day to work. [emoji4]

Regardless, this isn't a deal breaker for me. I just think that there is going to be very little difference between smart casual and elegant chic nights. One allows jeans, the other says designer jeans. One says to wear a casual top, the other says an elegant top. These are pretty much subjective opinions, which means that even if it was enforceable, there's no way Celebrity would bother. There is no way anyone will tell a guest "Oh I'm sorry, your top is not elegant enough to eat in the MDR", unless it has rips or visible stains.

Elegant chic night says a sport coat is optional for men, which is the same as saying "don't wear a sport coat" for 90% of people.

Celebrity tries to placate the formal night fans by mentioning that they should still dress up if they want, but I have a feeling that those that do will stick out like a sore thumb. They'll eventually tire of being the oddballs and either stop dressing up, or cruise on another line. Celebrity probably sees this as the smoothest path to get their dress code to where the other lines are going with.

Obviously the majority of passengers prefer casual to formal. Maybe celebrity should consider making the MDR all casual, and reserving a smaller restaurant for those that choose formal. The dress code could be more strictly enforced, since it would be opt-in. It might have a certain mystique of exclusivity if for 2 nights people notice a handful of guests dressed up and going to a separate dining room.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that I am a fan of formal nights, but I don't object either. When scheduling specialty restaurants I have always made sure to be in the MDR on formal nights.

So, let me endorse and extend your suggestion. When we make our bookings, we are asked dining preferences. Create a new category - "formal ok?" Those of us who agree to Formal will be seated together at the prime tables. On formal nights we do our formal dress thing, we get served lobster and good steak. The rest of the diners can watch as they sit in their jeans eating hamburgers.

Stan

So, let me endorse and extend your suggestion. When we make our bookings, we are asked dining preferences. Create a new category - "formal ok?" Those of us who agree to Formal will be seated together at the prime tables. On formal nights we do our formal dress thing, we get served lobster and good steak. The rest of the diners can watch as they sit in their jeans eating hamburgers.

Stan

Can't tell if you are being facetious or not, but if that's a real idea I think it is one of the worst I've ever heard on these message boards. :cool:

Can't tell if you are being facetious or not, but if that's a real idea I think it is one of the worst I've ever heard on these message boards. :cool:

When I originally made the suggestion, I was thinking something along the lines of Blu, Luminae, or the other specialty restaurants. Passengers are already separated several different ways at dinner, so this could be one more option.

It's interesting how many people who seem to have seldom set foot on a Celebrity ship have shown up here to comment on this topic. At least the posters on the Celebrity Facebook page are actual Celebrity cruisers. Lots of very unhappy people there.

Well as I'm not your secretary. Go and count how many likes of the post there are vs how many comments by individual cruisers to the negative. Take out all the comments from people that like it and all the duplicate posters and then report back.

So what you are essentially saying is that you indeed do not have any proof.

Counting posts on Cruise Critic or Facebook hardly constitutes any sort of proof.

When I originally made the suggestion, I was thinking something along the lines of Blu, Luminae, or the other specialty restaurants. Passengers are already separated several different ways at dinner, so this could be one more option.

That's an entirely different tune you are singing now. Either way, I am relieved you aren't calling the shots:eek:

Just received my email from Celebrity UK.

Evening Chic is your night to shine and will be featured once on cruises 6 nights or fewer and twice on cruises 7 nights or longer.

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

• A cocktail dress

• Skirt, trousers or smart jeans with an elegant top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

• Trousers or smart jeans with a shirt or sweater

• Optional jacket or blazer

No mention of designer, just smart jeans.

I told my hubby about the formal news and his first reaction was why dress up when jean will be next to us. His reaction 1 minute later was..."Lets make sure my tuxedo gets packed. Wear your beautiful red gown I love and your favorite bling. Who cares what anyone else is doing."

This is why I love my tuxedo wearing sexy ex-Marine husband. Ok..one of the many reasons!!!

It's interesting how many people who seem to have seldom set foot on a Celebrity ship have shown up here to comment on this topic. At least the posters on the Celebrity Facebook page are actual Celebrity cruisers. Lots of very unhappy people there.

There are also plenty of happy people on that FB page. I'm sure you won't be interested in my opinion, since I'm a newer cruiser.

I joined cruise critic after booking our first cruise 6 years ago. Our Solstice cruise was nearly a year away and I thought this would be a fun way to pass the time and get information from experienced cruisers.

I was one of those newbies who asked if my husbands navy blazer and gray dress trousers would fit in on formal nights. Many of the answers from some of the 'classy' cruisers were so rude, I wondered if I had made a huge mistake with this vacation. I was told to eat in the buffet, go on another cruise line, or dress my husband in a dark suit or tux. Do you really think that's the message that Celebrity wants to send to potential customers? Apparently not.

I'm happy that I 'll be able to dress stylishly for Chic night and am looking forward to seeing everyone's version of elegant, happy not to carry the extra garment bag and happy not to spend money on formal clothes that I won't wear again until my next cruise - I'd rather spend that $$ on the Silhouette.:p:cool::eek:

Who would support me with an online petition - come on Celebrity, just one formal night per cruise!!

For us it's a highlight. A delight. A night with a special buzz!!!

Support from me depends on what Celebrity would do to differentiate it from other nights. If it is the same as all other nights except for the clothing request, it would be more hassle to pack formal wear for one night instead of two.

What do you propose Celebrity should do to make it a worthy event?

I disagree. Great post Stan

It was a discriminatory and close minded post. Excluding people from what they have paid for because they won't play a part in your fantasy is just an awful thing to suggest doing. It was bad enough one person said it, but to have supporters of such tactless drivel is both sad and amazing.

But, as I put to you, since you want formal night back; what do you propose Celebrity can do to make it a worthy event?

Just received my email from Celebrity UK.

Evening Chic is your night to shine and will be featured once on cruises 6 nights or fewer and twice on cruises 7 nights or longer.

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

• A cocktail dress

• Skirt, trousers or smart jeans with an elegant top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

• Trousers or smart jeans with a shirt or sweater

• Optional jacket or blazer

No mention of designer, just smart jeans.

Also no restrictions on the type of shirt I notice. :rolleyes:

I was one of those newbies who asked if my husbands navy blazer and gray dress trousers would fit in on formal nights. Many of the answers from some of the 'classy' cruisers were so rude, I wondered if I had made a huge mistake with this vacation. I was told to eat in the buffet, go on another cruise line, or dress my husband in a dark suit or tux. Do you really think that's the message that Celebrity wants to send to potential customers? Apparently not.

/QUOTE]

Yes, it is ironic that some of the people pushing for class are not very classy !

Seeing the responses has made me happy that Celebrity has made the change.

I completely agree neither CC or any other social media site are a barometer of the cruising population.

So what you are essentially saying is that you indeed do not have any proof.

Counting posts on Cruise Critic or Facebook hardly constitutes any sort of proof.

I love how you want me to prove that the majority of cruisers aren't against it instead of questioning the original statement that most are...odd. Agenda maybe? Anyway, you can debate it until the cows come home. The change is made

/QUOTE]

Those were some of the milder comments I recieved. What's that saying about putting lipstick on a pig?

Yes, it is ironic that some of the people pushing for class are not very classy !

Seeing the responses has made me happy that Celebrity has made the change.