It's official! Formal nights gone, evening chic in! (3 Threads Merged)

Wj420

On Facebook the classism, rudeness, entitlement, and general lack of manners among many of those bemoaning the formal night change is quite astounding.

Love it.

It's almost scary to think I've been confined on ships in the middle of the ocean with some of those people. ;) They're so angry.

Edited by Marelaine
added comment

On Facebook the classism, rudeness, entitlement, and general lack of manners among many of those bemoaning the formal night change is quite astounding.

It's a good thing that we haven't seen any of that misbehaviour by either side of the discussion here on CC. ;)

Actually,I said that about lipstick on a pig. Watch what happens in the near future as those who like "casual" will start with the down hill spire to t shirts & shorts in the MDR. I've seen too many who feel that slovenly dress is their mantra. Hey fine..but do it on Carnival/NCL not a line that marks itself as "premium".

I love how you want me to prove that the majority of cruisers aren't against it instead of questioning the original statement that most are...odd. Agenda maybe? Anyway, you can debate it until the cows come home. The change is made

As I stated, I do not know which side is the majority, nor did I want you to prove anything nor am I debating anything. I just was wondering how you arrived at your definitive statement. Without any sort of factual evidence, assumptions, no matter how strongly stated, are just that: assumptions.

Edited by existentialtraveler

Can't tell if you are being facetious or not, but if that's a real idea I think it is one of the worst I've ever heard on these message boards. :cool:

Personally, I think it's a great idea. Celebrity markets itself as a "premium" line, not a line for the "Onslows" of the world. They can stick to Carnival/NCL for all I care.

It's a good thing that we haven't seen any of that misbehaviour by either side of the discussion here on CC. ;)

Nope none of that here. No snobby attitude, no superiority complex, no one totally oblivious that they actually have no class. ;)

Personally, I think it's a great idea. Celebrity markets itself as a "premium" line, not a line for the "Onslows" of the world. They can stick to Carnival/NCL for all I care.

Give it up. Decision is made. If Celebrity doesn't deliver what you're looking for in a vacation then maybe it's time to find another line :)

Actually,I said that about lipstick on a pig. Watch what happens in the near future as those who like "casual" will start with the down hill spire to t shirts & shorts in the MDR. I've seen too many who feel that slovenly dress is their mantra. Hey fine..but do it on Carnival/NCL not a line that marks itself as "premium".

I don't think you made up that saying. To me, it means you can dress someone up, but he is still the same, rude person. Not referring to you, of course.

There are options other than tuxes and t-shirts and ragged jeans, you know.

We have not received an email from Celebrity with regard to the dress code change and have just been told by a neighbour. We have travelled with Celebrity many times but our cruise on Dec 6th will be the last. We booked this cruise with our friends back in March and were not informed there was to be a change in policy, if we had we would not have booked. We feel we have been Mis-sold a package and have been sold something we no longer want. When we book a holiday we feel we should get what is stated in the brochure and not to be informed by a neighbour that something that is so important to us has changed. Not to be informed personally is an insult and customer relations of the worst kind. Having bought 2 new long evening gowns for this cruise I am furious at being told 3 weeks before departure I have to change my wardrobe and find something CHiC whatever that might mean. Celebrity have made a big mistake and I have many friends who will not be travelling with them again. They have now dummed down and are just like many of the other run of the mill cruises. They used to be one of the best, not any more. Watch out it'll ripped jeans shorts and t-shirts before long.

I had to go to Facebook and read some of the comments. OMG, People are acting like it is the end of the world! "Class" is really coming through in some of those posts. You know, I used to be opposed to cruising but my husband "forced me" to go on one back in 2012 by getting it after final payment. That is all it took! I was hooked! He then suggested the Summit on Celebrity and I remember thinking this was a line full of snobs based on the comments here but it was a nice itinerary and snobs would not stop me from cruising. I am glad I didn't pay attention to the snarky comments of the "Experts on Dress Code" because I had a fantastic cruise and my signature shows what we like.

Today again, those long time cruisers, and those that post often here are letting the same "I am above everyone attitude" come through their posts on this thread. I find this so entertaining but those cruising for the first time on Celebrity might find it off putting, just like I did a few years ago.

I say that if attire will make you lose sleep (someone's comment from facebook) then your priorities are so wrong. Instead of continuing posting here, go and spend your money somewhere else where you can play pretend with everyone else.

There is more drama here than in a Mexican Telenovela! I think the drama here beats the drama we had during the update of the Beverage Packages!

Edited by Sandy1975

We have not received an email from Celebrity with regard to the dress code change and have just been told by a neighbour. We have travelled with Celebrity many times but our cruise on Dec 6th will be the last. We booked this cruise with our friends back in March and were not informed there was to be a change in policy, if we had we would not have booked. We feel we have been Mis-sold a package and have been sold something we no longer want. When we book a holiday we feel we should get what is stated in the brochure and not to be informed by a neighbour that something that is so important to us has changed. Not to be informed personally is an insult and customer relations of the worst kind. Having bought 2 new long evening gowns for this cruise I am furious at being told 3 weeks before departure I have to change my wardrobe and find something CHiC whatever that might mean. Celebrity have made a big mistake and I have many friends who will not be travelling with them again. They have now dummed down and are just like many of the other run of the mill cruises. They used to be one of the best, not any more. Watch out it'll ripped jeans shorts and t-shirts before long.

No one is saying you can't wear your new evening gowns. For those that want to dress up, your more than welcome to do so.

Wow. That was dramatic.

Just wear what you bought. There's no new rule saying you can't dress in a gown. It just says no everyone else has to. Though I kind of doubt most folks would have been in gowns anyway.

Edited by Tura Lura

I see this is your first post, so welcome to Cruise Critic. Unfortunately, the majority of members support the change, so I don't think you'll get much sympathy here. As Celebrity and many posters have pointed out, you are more than welcome to wear your new evening gowns.

Edited by Fouremco

I recently read Greg King's book, "Lusitania: Triumph, Tragedy, and the End of the Edwardian Age". In it, he refers to Emily Post's advice regarding appropriate dress on an ocean liner:

"Emily Post’s 1931 revision of Etiquette: The Blue Book of Social Usage, “on the de luxe steamers nearly everyone dresses for dinner; some actually wear ball dresses, which is in the worst possible taste, and like all overdressing in public places, indicates that they have no other place to show their finery. In the a la carte restaurant, which is a feature of the de luxe steamer of size, fashionable women wear semi-dinner dresses, but in the regular dining saloon they wear ordinary house dresses with or without hats."

So perhaps we are actually returning to "Traditional Dining" dress rules.:D

You can see more etiquette advice for "de-luxe" steamer travel, from Emily Post, here.

Edited by SeaCBear

I recently read Greg King's book, "Lusitania: Triumph, Tragedy, and the End of the Edwardian Age". In it, he refers to Emily Post's advice regarding appropriate dress on an ocean liner:

"Emily Post’s 1931 revision of Etiquette: The Blue Book of Social Usage, “on the de luxe steamers nearly everyone dresses for dinner; some actually wear ball dresses, which is in the worst possible taste, and like all overdressing in public places, indicates that they have no other place to show their finery. In the a la carte restaurant, which is a feature of the de luxe steamer of size, fashionable women wear semi-dinner dresses, but in the regular dining saloon they wear ordinary house dresses with or without hats."

Lovely quote! :)

You have a brochure showing someone in formal attire? Please post a picture . Ripped jeans are prohibited. You might want to read the CC news article on it gefore having a meltdown.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6642

You can see more etiquette advice for "de-luxe" steamer travel, from Emily Post, here.

Oh, snap. I've mostly stayed out of this battle but I have to give you props for this one.

Your first post under that screen name and an obvious fiction.