It's official! Formal nights gone, evening chic in! (3 Threads Merged)

Wj420

Goodness me - where will this all end !

May I suggest a minutes silence for the passing of the Celebrity Lobster ?

I think I will cash in my dinner jacket , wear my string vest in the MDR and book a few meals in Murano .

Are things really this bad ?

Geez! And here I am just getting ready to take my first Celebrity cruise!! :eek:

Maybe I should ask for my money back? :p

Edited by suzyed

I wouldn't dress that way, but what they do doesn't concern me in the slightest...it's called FREEDOM!

I might make a comment or two to my DH but they wouldn't affect me further at all...........

And besides that.....the worst dress I've ever witnessed in the MDR were dressy looking bermuda shorts with a golf shirt....I have no problem with that. With over 20 cruises, I have never seen a beater shirt on anybody, except in the Windjammer/Oceanview. I have too much fun to accomplish in 7 days with my peeps to worry about what someone else is doing on a cruise.:D

The worst I ever saw was bib overalls ever night in the MDR.

You have a brochure showing someone in formal attire? Please post a picture . Ripped jeans are prohibited. You might want to read the CC news article on it gefore having a meltdown.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6642

Your first post under that screen name and an obvious fiction.

This is not fiction but fact. There are still many of us cruisers who do not want to sit down for dinner with people in jeans and have only ever booked cruises where there are formal nights. I object to being duped into an expensive cruise which we definitely would not have booked. I suppose Cunard will be rubbing their hands with glee as they are now going to get a huge amount of past Celebrity customers. They will definitely keep up their standards.

I just found what I was looking for Chic wear for Men, take your pick.

12115472_10156189532835291_9138426669991560783_n.jpg

I'm getting the third from the right for DH....the green will match his eyes! ;) Or the leopard print...I dig the turban!

Edited by suzyed

This is not fiction but fact. There are still many of us cruisers who do not want to sit down for dinner with people in jeans and have only ever booked cruises where there are formal nights. I object to being duped into an expensive cruise which we definitely would not have booked. I suppose Cunard will be rubbing their hands with glee as they are now going to get a huge amount of past Celebrity customers. They will definitely keep up their standards.

Duped. You're so cute!

Go enjoy your cruise, wear your fancy dress and stop worrying about what other people may be wearing.

Wow. That was dramatic.

Just wear what you bought. There's no new rule saying you can't dress in a gown. It just says no everyone else has to. Though I kind of doubt most folks would have been in gowns anyway.

We have been on many celebrity cruises and found the vast majority were in gowns. That's why we book with Celebrity.

There are still many of us cruisers who do not want to sit down for dinner with people in jeans

Anyone could wear jeans on every other night of the cruise but it suddenly is beyond the pale on these one or two other nights?

We have been on many celebrity cruises and found the vast majority were in gowns. That's why we book with Celebrity.

That is contrary to what pretty much everyone else has posted. Most say they see women in cocktail dresses primarily. Or nice pants and a top. I highly doubt the "vast majority" have been in gowns lately. There's a reason they changed the dress "code", but you can still dress however you want.

Who would support me with an online petition - come on Celebrity, just one formal night per cruise!!

For us it's a highlight. A delight. A night with a special buzz!!!

It's a good idea....a compromise....1 formal night! Then again, there will be lots of people who won't want to pack formal clothes for just one night.

Well I am of the understanding after your next cruise we will not be blessed with your attendance at a Cruise Critic Sail Away get together on Celebrity in the future. So what does any of this matter now.

Celebrity made their decision, and you told us you have made yours. Why keep returning to a conversation, about something that you will not be a future part of?

Majority in gowns???:eek:

That had to be wayyyyyyyyyyy back.

I've never seen any where near 25%

It's a good idea....a compromise....1 formal night! Then again, there will be lots of people who won't want to pack formal clothes for just one night.

Sorry... devils from the past quotes. :p

:rolleyes: You're on vacation! Just rent it for $ 150.00 - 200.00! You spent all that money on a cruise! Don't be cheap when it means something to everyone who remembers the old days....:rolleyes:

ballroom_0002.jpg

Since the vast majority wants to be rid of formal, we need to request you take it to the Buffet please...

Edited by A Sixth?

I recently read Greg King's book, "Lusitania: Triumph, Tragedy, and the End of the Edwardian Age". In it, he refers to Emily Post's advice regarding appropriate dress on an ocean liner:

"Emily Post’s 1931 revision of Etiquette: The Blue Book of Social Usage, “on the de luxe steamers nearly everyone dresses for dinner; some actually wear ball dresses, which is in the worst possible taste, and like all overdressing in public places, indicates that they have no other place to show their finery. In the a la carte restaurant, which is a feature of the de luxe steamer of size, fashionable women wear semi-dinner dresses, but in the regular dining saloon they wear ordinary house dresses with or without hats."

So perhaps we are actually returning to "Traditional Dining" dress rules.:D

You can see more etiquette advice for "de-luxe" steamer travel, from Emily Post, here.

Hey, as long as you follow ALL the rules posted within that site and not just pick and choose, sure.

So let's talk about how to check into a hotel then..... :D

Who would support me with an online petition - come on Celebrity, just one formal night per cruise!!

For us it's a highlight. A delight. A night with a special buzz!!!

The on- line survey indicates from those who have voted that the overwhelming majority are in favour or don't care of the change.

It's interesting how many people who seem to have seldom set foot on a Celebrity ship have shown up here to comment on this topic. At least the posters on the Celebrity Facebook page are actual Celebrity cruisers. Lots of very unhappy people there.

interesting post. Intrigued to learn how the poster can verify whether posters have been on a Celebrity boat trip or not.

If he/she is correct and the pro chic brigade have seldom set foot on a Cel boat then it could be good business - attracting new customers ?

- hope you like non stop transatlantic crossings, world cruises and the variety that just 3 ships brings.

It was a discriminatory and close minded post. Excluding people from what they have paid for because they won't play a part in your fantasy is just an awful thing to suggest doing. It was bad enough one person said it, but to have supporters of such tactless drivel is both sad and amazing.

But, as I put to you, since you want formal night back; what do you propose Celebrity can do to make it a worthy event?

Sorry, I didn't mean it to come across that way. I was following up on a suggestion that Celebrity should consider retaining the Formal night as an option for those that care. I think that makes sense, but the implication (verified in a follow-up) was that the optional Formal would be someplace else. I was thinking about the logistics of such an event on M-class that I am familiar with and I could not think of a space where such an event could take place. So, reasonable follow on would be to have a separate seating section in the MDR. Not partitioned off with ugly walls the way Luminae is but right there in the MDR. As far as lobster or steak vs. hamburger, my thought was that those who go to extra effort for a special dinner might be offered a special menu? That would make it a worthy event? But I can see how that would be taken as "discriminatory", so: Sorry. It does amaze me that people are so wound up about this small change that appears to have violated their perception (fantasy) of what the "cruising experience" is about. As I think I have indicated, I know I would probably opt-in to Formal if that were possible. But I would definitely prefer the hamburger to the lobster. I just mentioned lobster because that seems to be an issue for some.

Edited by GottaKnowWhen

How about you bring your formal wear, enjoy your evening and stop worrying about what other people are wearing! Your more than welcome to wear your formal attire, it's just not required.

Sorry, I didn't mean it to come across that way. I was following up on a suggestion that Celebrity should consider retaining the Formal night as an option for those that care. I think that makes sense, but the implication (verified in a follow-up) was that the optional Formal would be someplace else. I was thinking about the logistics of such an event on M-class that I am familiar with and I could not think of a space where such an event could take place. So, reasonable follow on would be to have a separate seating section in the MDR. Not partitioned off with ugly walls the way Luminae is but right there in the MDR. As far as lobster or steak vs. hamburger, my thought was that those who go to extra effort for a special dinner might be offered a special menu? That would make it a worthy event? But I can see how that would be taken as "discriminatory", so: Sorry. It does amaze me that people are so wound up about this small change that appears to have violated their perception (fantasy) of what the "cruising experience" is about. As I think I have indicated, I know I would probably opt-in to Formal if that were possible. But I would definitely prefer the hamburger to the lobster. I just mentioned lobster because that seems to be an issue for some.

A formal night, someplace else?

For heavens sake. Some of us are quite capable of dressing to please ourselves and ignoring the ignorant fools.

Hi all, this will be our third cruise with Celebrity, not to sure about the new dress code, so many mixed reviews, yes we are rather disappointed about the change but then that's Celebrity's choice, from reading other forums the main thing people seam to be saying is that Celebrity stood out above the likes of Princess and RC for quality and class, they were in line with HAL and P&O, people booked their European cruise with Celebrity for that reason, they want a little bit of class and tradition, if they wanted chic or dress down then they would choose a different ship/company, so I can understand maybe Celebrity are trying to gain more custom from competitors, it will be interesting to hear the reviews and see photos when this new dress code kicks in.

Edited by Ms Bluewave

I also just received this email. If you click on the link that says learn more, it still list the number of formal nights by length of the cruise.

Per the email:

Evening Chic evolutions include

Sipping destination-inspired drinks at the new Captains Reception

Rubbing elbows with Senior Officers (including the Captain) at new officer hosted tables

Glamming it up with a spa makeover (Facebook profile update check!)

Evening Chic sailing departing December 4 and beyond.

So, what does this mean??? DW just bought a new dress for formal night on our upcoming Dec 6 sailing.

Take the dress and wear it !! there will always be people who think that denim(it is workwear trust me) torn clothing and flip flops are chic , if they had any class they would know they are not !!!! it does cut down on the luggage yes but i hope P and O do not follow suit looking forward to our 4 formal nights in the Caribbean next Feb ...interesting reading coming this way i am sure John/Trish Craven UK

I have posted this separately to the ongoing thread as I do not intend to comment here on my own views of the change in dress code, strong as those views are.

My point here is that the matter is likely to become the most divisive matter ever, possibly even more than smoking/non-smoking issues.

Whatever side of the dress code divide you are on is it not going to be strange to see large tables with guests wearing a mixture of formal evening dress and jeans with a vest which is now surely inevitable.

I know many people have said that it should not bother you what others wear but in the example above I would think there is scope for both ends of the spectrum to feel uncomfortable – and it will certainly look odd.

As I said above I am making no comment about our preferences so please no shouting at me!

Edited by PrincessPete