Noise? - PH Deck 8 - Sirena

jakes47

We are considering a 15 day cruise on the Sirena in 2017. We have cruised 3 times with Oceania, each time on the Marina in a PH cabin.

Looking at the deck plans on the Sirena all the PH cabins are on the deck 8, directly beneath the Terrace, Pool and Spa and fitness center and I am concerned about the any noise that might come through as a result and would appreciate comments from those with first hand experience.

Thanks

Bev

We are considering a 15 day cruise on the Sirena in 2017. We have cruised 3 times with Oceania, each time on the Marina in a PH cabin.

Looking at the deck plans on the Sirena all the PH cabins are on the deck 8, directly beneath the Terrace, Pool and Spa and fitness center and I am concerned about the any noise that might come through as a result and would appreciate comments from those with first hand experience.

Thanks

Bev

Nobody is going to have Oceania experience with this, as Sirena won't be sailing for Oceania until March of '16.

We've sailed in Penthouses on Regatta, Insignia and Nautica, however, and the only Suites which had noise issues were the ones beneath the Automatic door which leads from the Terrace Restaurant into Waves. We would not book 8049 again, because of it.

I sailed this ship under another name and do not remember noise . but i have sailed on AZ many times and i hear the vibration of the runners from deck 10. .when they do the outdoor deck party i am guessing you can hear music. but the day to day i never notice-just the runners.

We were on the Regatta last December on Deck 8, smack-dab in the middle of ship in the A1 cabin (two A1's on deck 8 midship). No noise in cabin, from anything at all. On our patio, every once in awhile (maybe a total of 3-4 times)we heard a lounge chair being moved (passengers try to drag lounge chairs instead of allowing ship's crew to pick them up and move them). No noise from sail away band (only plays for 30 minutes anyway), and absolutely no noise from runners (?) on the walking path two floors up, above the pool area. Enjoy!

Edited by Cruseforme

Nobody is going to have Oceania experience with this, as Sirena won't be sailing for Oceania until March of '16.

We've sailed in Penthouses on Regatta, Insignia and Nautica, however, and the only Suites which had noise issues were the ones beneath the Automatic door which leads from the Terrace Restaurant into Waves. We would not book 8049 again, because of it.

Jim, 8049 is my favorite cabin and no noise at all..are you sure thats the one where you heard the door??

Jancruz1

We have been on any number of Deck 8 cabins on Regatta, Insignia and Nautica. I doubt that Insignia will be much different once it comes on board, and perhaps it will be better.

On Nautica (then the R5) when it was brand new (February 2000) we were in 8006 and we did hear furniture moving around up above us in the morning, but it didn't particularly bother us. It certainly was not constant during the day.

We've never had a complaint in other cabins on Deck 8.

When we were in a Vista on Insignia back in 2006 we heard a lot of docking noise in the mornings ... again, we just turned over and went back to sleep. I might not be so tolerant these days ... But it didn't bother me then.

Mura

As you may have gathered from the above responses, Sirena is one of the eight "R-ships" from the much-lamented Renaissance line. Insignia, Regatta and Nautical are R-1, R-2 and R-5. R-3 is Pacific Princess. Sirena is R-4 [most recently Ocean Princess]. R-6 and R-7 are Azamara Journey and Quest. R-8 was the P&O Adonia and is the new "fathom" ship. They are all basically identical in layout, and the suites are all on deck 8. So you can check cabin reviews about any of the R-ships on Azamara, Oceania, P&O and Princess for noise questions [although the cabin numbers may vary slightly, as some of the ships are all suites and some have both cabins and suites on that deck].

Thanks for all your responses. I did look at old R ship reviews as suggested. I have laid the printouts of deck 8 and 9 by each other and I am thinking it is best to avoid wooden deck areas. I am leaning towards under the Terrace Café - presuming the inside of the Café is carpeted in the seating area - so will see what is available in the 8050/53 area or may be forward under the Oceania@Sea could be a good option.

Can’t believe I am booking 19 months out.

Thanks for all your responses. I did look at old R ship reviews as suggested. I have laid the printouts of deck 8 and 9 by each other and I am thinking it is best to avoid wooden deck areas. I am leaning towards under the Terrace Café - presuming the inside of the Café is carpeted in the seating area - so will see what is available in the 8050/53 area or may be forward under the Oceania@Sea could be a good option.

Can’t believe I am booking 19 months out.

Under the Windows cafe is about the worst place you can go..I suggest under the pool or forward a bit..

Jancruz1

As you may have gathered from the above responses, Sirena is one of the eight "R-ships" from the much-lamented Renaissance line. Insignia, Regatta and Nautical are R-1, R-2 and R-5. R-3 is Pacific Princess. Sirena is R-4 [most recently Ocean Princess]. R-6 and R-7 are Azamara Journey and Quest. R-8 was the P&O Adonia and is the new "fathom" ship. They are all basically identical in layout, and the suites are all on deck 8. So you can check cabin reviews about any of the R-ships on Azamara, Oceania, P&O and Princess for noise questions [although the cabin numbers may vary slightly, as some of the ships are all suites and some have both cabins and suites on that deck].

Actually the suites on Azamara and Quest although on deck 8 are very different and in different locations then the other 5 R ships..all R ships 1 through 5 are identical..that is 4 of Oceania ships..

Jancruz1

Actually the suites on Azamara and Quest although on deck 8 are very different and in different locations then the other 5 R ships..all R ships 1 through 5 are identical..that is 4 of Oceania ships..

Jancruz1

Yes, thank you for verifying that fact because I had been on AZ in the past and I could not figure out what Jazzbeau was talking about. Deck 8 is definitely different on the R ships of Oceania after cruising on Regatta. We will be on Sirena this Spring 2016 and Insignia Oct 2016. Very excited.

Yes, thank you for verifying that fact because I had been on AZ in the past and I could not figure out what Jazzbeau was talking about. Deck 8 is definitely different on the R ships of Oceania after cruising on Regatta. We will be on Sirena this Spring 2016 and Insignia Oct 2016. Very excited.

Deck 8 was all standard verandas on the 2 ships RCCL bought and used to create Azamara. They rebuilt half of deck 8 as Sky Suites; the remainder are still standard verandas. No relationship to deck 8 on any of the Oceania ships.

I tried to alert to this without making it an entire wikipedia article. The Azamara ships do not have suites throughout deck 8, but all their suites are on deck 8. In any case, OP is asking about noise, which would be the same whether a cabin is a room or a suite as long as it is UNDER the same part of deck 9. So you have to compare the deck plans to line the cabin numbers up.

I would avoid 8053. On Nautica the room is under the kitchen door and we heard the dragging of buffet carts at 5am and again at 10pm. Not very quiet.

OTOH, we were in 8057 on Regatta and heard no noise at all. Now, that was more than 10 years ago and things might have changed in the interim. But we were very happy with the room which is only two doors down from 8053.

Mura

Under the Windows cafe is about the worst place you can go..I suggest under the pool or forward a bit..

Jancruz1

Windows cafe????

I would avoid 8053. On Nautica the room is under the kitchen door and we heard the dragging of buffet carts at 5am and again at 10pm. Not very quiet.

Trying to verify and compare locations...

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-11%20at%2012.54.51%20PM_zps3nbho6ct.png

Deck 9 - note the location of the elevator shafts

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-11%20at%2012.57.04%20PM_zpsj5k2pl0t.png

Deck 8 - again, note the location of the elevators

When the elevator shafts are matched and deck plans compared, isn't 8053 beneath the (carpeted) Terrace Cafe?

Or have I missed something?

Jancruz1

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-11%20at%201.39.33%20PM_zpshzymezrg.png

Deck 9 in the pool area - note elevator shafts

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-11%20at%201.41.08%20PM_zpsa3xfhekj.png

Deck 8 - aligning the elevator shafts as best I could

I am on Sirena next May 2016 and chose 8002 which is under the Computer room area. I thought that would be a nice area on Deck 8 to be under. I would never want to be under the gym and the Terrace Cafe and WavesGrill would be a bit noisy I would assume.

Edited by portofinoitaly

I am on Sirena next May 2016 and chose 8002 which is under the Computer room area. I thought that would be a nice area on Deck 8 to be under. I would never want to be under the gym and the Terrace Cafe and WavesGrill would be a bit noisy I would assume.

8000 is available so will put in a request for that - looks to be a safe bet.

We are happy to go PH1,2 or 3 but it would seem from what I read that there is noise potential from the pool deck and the starboard side of the Terrace Cafe where they "wheel trolleys" but those who have stayed on the port side, mid way under the cafe have not complained noise (that I've seen).

Being a light sleeper is a bummer.

I copied the text in the next paragraph from a review of cabin 8045 on the Insignia. If all the small ships are laid out the same, this could be an issue on all of the ships. Sail date was August 2015.

This cabin has one major problem. All of the Penthouse class cabins are on the Deck 8, so they are under the buffet, pool, and grill area. We were under the grill, which has a wooden floor. Service began around 6:30am and that's when we would be wakened from the sound of chairs scraping on the floor. I don't understand why they don't put glides on the chairs. That would alleviate the problem.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=516204

We were in 8045 for 10 days this Fall and there was definitely the sound of the heavy wooden chairs being moved around. Our sense was it was much more evident when they were mopping the floor in the mid-afternoon but we did hear it occasionally during breakfast service. Not enough to ruin the cruise, but we will avoid it if possible in the future. Otherwise the location is great - just forward of the aft elevators/stairs so a quick trip upstairs to Terraces and Waves.