Should we change from Best to bare bones and save $1500

Boscodog

We are booked on the Reflection for a milestone 30th anniversary next summer on the Reflection in Aqua Class. We decided to splurge and go for the Best rate and are paying $3,149 pp. With all the Best perks (Premium Drinks, tips, internet and OBC) we will have a total of $1,070 in OBC.

There is now an offer which drops the price to $2,399 per person but with no perks except $50 OBC. We will still have $630 in OBC from TA and retention OBC (due to cancelled cruise).

I would appreciate opinions if it is worth losing all the perks. I know that we probably would have enough OBC to cover our tips and all our drinks, but the thought of having everything covered plus having unlimited internet would make it an a wonderful luxury.

We are booked on the Reflection for a milestone 30th anniversary next summer on the Reflection in Aqua Class. We decided to splurge and go for the Best rate and are paying $3,149 pp. With all the Best perks (Premium Drinks, tips, internet and OBC) we will have a total of $1,070 in OBC.

There is now an offer which drops the price to $2,399 per person but with no perks except $50 OBC. We will still have $630 in OBC from TA and retention OBC (due to cancelled cruise).

I would appreciate opinions if it is worth losing all the perks. I know that we probably would have enough OBC to cover our tips and all our drinks, but the thought of having everything covered plus having unlimited internet would make it an a wonderful luxury.

My handy-dandy BBB decision maker is attached.

I see zero value to the 2nd unlimited internet package, so that takes $199 or $299 in value out of the equation depending on cruise length. You can easily share 1 account between 2 people, so long as each can use when the other is not using.

Your savings is $750. The Best! costs $90/day extra per cabin for 2 ($45pp/pd) SO the break even here is 7-8 nights.

Your tips will be $26.90 per day for the cabin

Premium Beverage Package will cost $153.40/day for the cabin

Classic would be $129.80/day for cabin

You lose a net $250 in OBC ($300 vs, new $50)

Internet $199 or $299 depending on length of crusie

So do the math and see what works. with all the OBC you have, unless you want to take the cash home, I kind of think you do well to change out.

If you email me, I can send the Excel version so it will do the math... :-)

BBB Pricing.pdf

Edited by cle-guy

Thanks Curt :

I know if I do the math it makes financial sense to drop all the perks. We would not buy a drink package since it would not make sense on a port intensive trip and just pay as we go. I was just so excited to splurge and have all the perks. We have changed our reservation about 6 times because of price changes. One thing I did not realize if that we could buy one internet package versus paying for 2 packages in the best. I will email you for the excel spreadsheet. I also made a spreadsheet that I had to analyze whether it was worth dropping the 123 Go for the Best during many of the price drops, however your spreadsheet seems extremely detailed.

Making this anniversary memorable should be a goal

I would indulge in the perks this time and watch for the sales on the next cruise

Yes this is what I want too, but the $1500 savings is gnawing at me. (Even though I know it is not really $1500 since we would have tips, drinks etc to pay for).

Is the internet now fast enough to make it worthwhile?

People seem to have varying experience.

IN my Summit sailing NY to San Juan last month, it was fine for Facebook, email etc. I thought. I never got around to connecting to my home/office.

On my TA on Connie this spring, I used it daily to remotely connect to my home office the whole way across the atlantic over the 7 straight days at sea.

The prior year, I could hardly get emails to download.

but the $1500 savings is gnawing at me.

Is the thought of knowing the gratuities are paid up and not thinking about the cost of a drink worth $1500 to you? From where I sit, it does not sound like you are married to that idea. I think you know best what you want to select.

Just go for one perk... classic alcohol package... that's the most variable but covers so much..even for very lite drinkers...coffees teas etc...Limit internet use and pay as you go...

There must be a dollar savings at that level....

Enjoy your special trip!

Just go for one perk... classic alcohol package... that's the most variable but covers so much..even for very lite drinkers...coffees teas etc...Limit internet use and pay as you go...

There must be a dollar savings at that level....

Enjoy your special trip!

We cannot get any perks. This is a special rate and only gives us $50 OBC.

I'm torn on this one as well. It's a special celebratory trip, so that tells me keep the full package, pay it up front and just enjoy yourselves. Then the practical side of me says, there's money to be saved, drop the package and add back what you'll really use then pocket the leftover. If I was forced to pick one, I'd think I'd drop the full package and then purchase only what I'd really use. Of course, if you're anything like me you'll make 5 more changes after this one before final payment is due.

This next cruise of ours, we are going bare bones, with a $100 OBC from our TA. We have "gifted" ourselves an additional $400 OBC and by booking select dining, prepaid our gratuities. Since we are only occasional drinkers, we did not feel it worthwhile to buy a beverage package. We still probably saved around $1500 and will have just as good a time as passengers on a BBB or 123Go. We'll have a sizable OBC for a glass of wine and some internet time and don't have to worry about the bill at the end of the cruise.

I'd get the cabin and class of service that will make the trip special for you, but do the math about the BBB.

How about using your OBC on the premium NA package? That would cover your coffee drinks, water bottles, soft drinks, smoothies at the Aqua spa, and it would run you less than half the price of the Classic alcohol package.

Unless you planned to spend all that OBC on shore excursions you'll now have to pay out of pocket, it seems like you could have more than you'd know what to do with under the current booking.

...the perks were about making it special.

If those perks do not seem worth while now then look at some other perks like adding a dining package or, as another post said, how much would it cost you to upgrade to a suite?

Whatever you decide, have a great cruise!

I figure OBC is cash. And I like Blu well enough it would be worth it to me. But if you love specialty restaurants that may make up for it.

I downgraded once out of AQ and decided for now anyway it's*AQ or up for us, because we are not loving the noise in the MDR.

If you see yourself kicking yourself for saving the money over the experience than do not do it. There is a kind of rich feel to having all those perks. But if you know you are going to be congratulating yourself for the savings, then that is your answer. AQ does have bottled water and the spa, which is sort of cool before bed to hang out in the loungers.

If this is Europe and you are spending every moment in port then I understand the downgrade more... Then again...you will return the ship needing some TLC. lol

I figure OBC is cash. And I like Blu well enough it would be worth it to me. But if you love specialty restaurants that may make up for it.

I downgraded once out of AQ and decided for now anyway it's*AQ or up for us, because we are not loving the noise in the MDR.

If you see yourself kicking yourself for saving the money over the experience than do not do it. There is a kind of rich feel to having all those perks. But if you know you are going to be congratulating yourself for the savings, then that is your answer. AQ does have bottled water and the spa, which is sort of cool before bed to hang out in the loungers.

If this is Europe and you are spending every moment in port then I understand the downgrade more... Then again...you will return the ship needing some TLC. lol

We are not downgrading out of Aqua class, just downgrading from Best (all perks) to no perks. At this point we are staying with the best plan. The celebration and luxury mean more than the $$ at this point.