We decided to try NCL... and enjoyed it!

debsjc

[quote name='Cruise_More_Often']qsuzi, the Sun's SF suite doesn't have double sinks, either, but it is a spectacular suite anyway. It has sliding glass doors in the living room and in the bedroom.

[IMG]https://cruisemoreoften.smugmug.com/Travel/Cruises/Alaska-2013-Cruise-on-NCL-Sun/i-83jVJQR/0/S/Suite1%20from%20bedroom-S.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://cruisemoreoften.smugmug.com/Travel/Cruises/Alaska-2013-Cruise-on-NCL-Sun/i-6SGb5Q8/0/S/Suite2-S.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://cruisemoreoften.smugmug.com/Travel/Cruises/Alaska-2013-Cruise-on-NCL-Sun/i-fZSM3xD/0/S/Suite4%20Bathroom%20sink-S.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://cruisemoreoften.smugmug.com/Travel/Cruises/Alaska-2013-Cruise-on-NCL-Sun/i-KtkjJx9/0/S/Suite8%20Bathroom%20tub%20and%20shower-S.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://cruisemoreoften.smugmug.com/Travel/Cruises/Alaska-2013-Cruise-on-NCL-Sun/i-RrH9krP/0/S/Suite3-S.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]
[COLOR="Purple"]Now this I like. Thanks for sharing the pix.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Windsailer']I didn't mind the price of drinks - since I had their beverage package - and drinks up to $15 were included. I think NCL has a much better wine list than HAL - I really enjoyed my glasses of Estancia Pinor Noir on my two NCL cruises. The prosecco (forget the brand) was also quite good.[/QUOTE]

[B] I agree about the Prosecco. I had a few glasses and enjoyed it on Dawn.

That suite looks lovely. It's Big! :)

[/B]

[quote name='Cruise_More_Often']There are many, many people who post on the NCL board about how they love the welcome back parties, and cruisers from other lines who were in port at the time the parties were held complaining that their cruise line didn't do anything for them. It seems to be a hit for most.

InTheWASide mentioned in an earlier post that it exudes a "really cool energy," and that it one reason we like cruising on NCL. [B]You feel that energy from the moment you embark until the moment you disembark.[/B] And lest you think I'm just a young thing, you'd be wrong. I'm over 70, and I still love that energy.[/quote]

Just the thought makes me shudder! There's enough "energy" and noise in my everyday life that I don't need to seek it on vacation. To me a cruise is an escape from hustle and bustle, not immersion in it. And lest you think I'm a cranky old lady, I'm under 70. :rolleyes:

It's a good thing there are so many different cruise lines. Something for everyone, as the saying goes. The trick is to find our own "something" and know what is not. NCL is not my "something."

What is sad is that people have this negative opinion of something they have never tried. [emoji57] I am currently on the Norwegian Jewel and this cruise rates right up there with some of the best I have ever had. Food has been amazing, service beyond anything I have experienced in several years with Hal.. Perhaps you should read my Live From thread on the NCL board. The Welcome Back to the ship is just one small thing, I will say that in our three ports we also did not have loud music, the only music was the port people with Mexican music which has been something we have seen dine here for many years.
I can say without any hesitation that Norwegian is my absolute favorite cruise line. There has been just too many things that have declined in recent years with Hal. Norwegian truly is what Hal use to be 10 years ago. They have a distinct direction they are going which is successful Hal sadly is floundering not knowing what to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NCL is not our most favourite cruise line but we have enjoyed our NCL cruises. Service has been top notch.

Cannot imagine being stuck in such a rut or being so narrow that I would not be willing to consider or try other cruise lines, etc. Reminds me of a neighbour of ours who bought Cadillac automobiles for years until he finally got fed up of the poor product quality and service. After he switched to Lexus his only comment was I wish I had done so earlier.

[quote name='LAFFNVEGAS']What is sad is that people have this negative opinion of something they have never tried. [emoji57] I am currently on the Norwegian Jewel and this cruise rates right up there with some of the best I have ever had. Food has been amazing, service beyond anything I have experienced in several years with Hal.. Perhaps you should read my Live From thread on the NCL board. The Welcome Back to the ship is just one small thing, I will say that in our three ports we also did not have loud music, the only music was the port people with Mexican music which has been something we have seen dine here for many years.
I can say without any hesitation that Norwegian is my absolute favorite cruise line. There has been just too many things that have declined in recent years with Hal. Norwegian truly is what Hal use to be 10 years ago. They have a distinct direction they are going which is successful Hal sadly is floundering not knowing what to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/quote]

I have tried NCL, both before and after "freestyle" cam in. I saw changes I didn't like after freestyle, and I'm not complaining about the freestyle dress code. I saw a decline in service and friends who sailed more recently than I have had horrible service. The only person I know who liked NCL sailed in a Haven Suite. On HAL you don't need to book a suite to be treated well.

[quote name='LAFFNVEGAS']What is sad is that people have this negative opinion of something they have never tried. [emoji57] I am currently on the Norwegian Jewel and this cruise rates right up there with some of the best I have ever had. Food has been amazing, service beyond anything I have experienced in several years with Hal.. Perhaps you should read my Live From thread on the NCL board. The Welcome Back to the ship is just one small thing, I will say that in our three ports we also did not have loud music, the only music was the port people with Mexican music which has been something we have seen dine here for many years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

We generally sail in an inside stateroom on HAL. And on ships with cabanas, we book that as well. It seems that most people that speak positively about NCL are in higher categories. Any idea if booking an inside on NCL will get you a similar or better experience than HAL? I'd be quite nervous to try them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Indigo"]We am not adverse to trying another cruise line and it's good to read the reviews, especially the balanced ones. So far we've found better alternatives based on what we value overall. We just compared NCL itinerary, prices, cabin features, and other factors with our June 2016 HAL cruise to Alaska. The NCL Mini suite is more expensive than our SY suite on HAL and we prefer HAL's itinerary. We like a couch in our cabin and double sinks and more cabin/balcony space combined. We will look at NCL again when most of the 2017 sailings to Mexico are available. More food and entertainment choices are a plus for NCL plus the hope of better service in the MDR. We also need to check out NCL loyalty perks and factor that in vs. Princess Elite status. Based on what I've read I would tend to agree with OVgirl that most of the positive reviews about NCL are in the higher categories. I didn't like the furniture or the decor when looking at lots of pictures of categories lower than suites. Another thing we factor into our decision is aesthetics but that would not rule out us trying NCL in the future.[/COLOR] Edited by qsuzi

[quote name='OVgirl']We generally sail in an inside stateroom on HAL. And on ships with cabanas, we book that as well. It seems that most people that speak positively about NCL are in higher categories. Any idea if booking an inside on NCL will get you a similar or better experience than HAL? I'd be quite nervous to try them.[/QUOTE]

We've sailed in balconies twice on NCL - and they are comparable to the ones on HAL. We will be sailing in an OV to Alaska next September on NCL. Most of the positives I find on NCL come from the out of cabin experience. More free dining options, more live music. The port times are longer on NCL ( for example - in Ketchikan HAL Westerdam is 7am to 1pm and the NCL Jewel is 7am to 3pm) And the prices are NCL are lower. For a 9/2016 cruise to Alaska the Westerdam is $1199 for the least expensive OV and the NCL Jewel is $924 - and it includes the unlimited beverage package.

Just some things to consider. I looked down at my nose at NCL for years - in spite of a friend saying it was a great experience. I'm now sold on NCL - at least on the NCL Jewel. Much as I am sold on the HAL Noordam and NA.

[quote name='Windsailer']We've sailed in balconies twice on NCL - and they are comparable to the ones on HAL. We will be sailing in an OV to Alaska next September on NCL. Most of the positives I find on NCL come from the out of cabin experience. More free dining options, more live music. The port times are longer on NCL ( for example - in Ketchikan HAL Westerdam is 7am to 1pm and the NCL Jewel is 7am to 3pm) And the prices are NCL are lower. For a 9/2016 cruise to Alaska the Westerdam is $1199 for the least expensive OV and the NCL Jewel is $924 - and it includes the unlimited beverage package.

Just some things to consider. I looked down at my nose at NCL for years - in spite of a friend saying it was a great experience. I'm now sold on NCL - at least on the NCL Jewel. Much as I am sold on the HAL Noordam and NA.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Thanks for this information Windsailer. [/COLOR]

[quote name='OVgirl']We generally sail in an inside stateroom on HAL. And on ships with cabanas, we book that as well. It seems that most people that speak positively about NCL are in higher categories. Any idea if booking an inside on NCL will get you a similar or better experience than HAL? I'd be quite nervous to try them.[/QUOTE]

Unless you are in a Haven suite, I think everyone else gets the same service, regardless is you are in a balcony, or an inside. We found it really good, at least comparable with HAL, probably better. If you like your food it's worth looking into the dining packages, the service in the speciality restaurants was fantastic.

[quote name='sammiedawg']I don't think it is a coincidence that NCL is on the rise because Frank Del Rio is running the big holding company that includes Oceania and Regent. He has focused on Improving NCL and it sounds like he is succeeding.
We've never been on NCL.[/QUOTE]

You are probably right, we have been on Oceania before and loved them.

[quote name='sammiedawg']We've loved all our O cruises and have three more booked.[/QUOTE]

My mum doesn't feel comfortable spending 'big bucks' on a cruise, even though she could, so I have to gently persuade her back onto O!

[quote name='bcnvcanada']We are big O fans but wonder how O will be now that is part of NCL. Hopefully, it too won't go down, like HAL did when carnival took over. Getting rid of the mid size ship for the big mega ship. We loved HAL for its service and feel, once.[/QUOTE]

So far we have seen no noticeable changes onboard O, which is part of a separate holding from the NCL group. I highly doubt O will go for bigger ships, they would not be able to fill them at the prices they charge.

Debsjc, keep working on your mother!

[quote name='dogo88']We were on the Getaway last year and enjoyed it too. Some things different than HAL, both positive and negative. We would go on it again but NCL needs to change the itinerary.

Dan[/quote]

We are platinum on NCL and have a similar number of days on HAL as three stars (with little benefit). We would continue to sail NCL as we like the entertainment, ships, service and value received for the $$$. I agree with you about the itineraries. They added South America recently (restored it, actually) but we had already booked with Celebrity so that was out. We've done most of their other itineraries so have to look to other lines. We love HAL so that works and Celebrity is okay as well.

OP, thank you for your objective review. The Epic is the only one of the NCL large ships we've been on and its design is unique. They changed the design on the newest ships to address concerns people had about the Epic design. Glad the stateroom design didn't freak you out as some really hate that bathroom, lol.