Casual Dinner Choices

ano

We also are seriously considering Oceania for our next cruise. We like it all, but one thing we grapple with is more casual dinning options. I realize Oceania is pretty casual compared to some, but the question is what casual dinner choices exist if we want to wear shorts and a t-shirt? The long pants and polo shirt is fine most nights, but other than room-service, are there other casual options? Don't have a specific ship yet, but would any be better than any others?

We love dining in Terrace probably do it 75% of our time on the ship for dinner. Either inside or out. Lovely setting and food is good. It just works so perfectly for our style od cruising. Husband usually wears cargo shorts. Loves that he can do that. Many others do as well. Want to go to the MDR or a speciality, put on long pants. Dress code on Oceania is truly easy. Enjoy!

you should have at least slacks and a golf shirt rather than a Polo

at the risk of getting a long winded dissertation

Is there a difference in a golf shirt & a polo shirt besides the emblem on the front ?

they look the same to my untrained eyes

Edited by LHT28

at the risk of getting a long winded dissertation

Is there a difference in a golf shirt & a polo shirt besides the emblem on the front ?

they look the same to my untrained eyes

You are absolutely correct Lyn. All golf shirts are Polo shirts and vice versa. Emblem is optional on both and may or may not be there.

Even at the Terrace, just leave the backwards-turned baseball caps at home or in the cabin.

Have you seen that as a big problem on cruises? :eek:

I'm guessing the number of children is also small. My wife was a teacher for 30 years, but surprisingly, or maybe not, not a big fan of children.

You are absolutely correct Lyn. All golf shirts are Polo shirts and vice versa. Emblem is optional on both and may or may not be there.

Not really.

While golf shirts and polo shirts are similar, there are subtle but very important differences between the two.

A golf shirt has a double-stitched collar with points meant to lay flat, loose double-stitched sleeve cuffs, and often a left breast pocket. Golf shirts are usually made of a 50/50 cotton/polyester blend or 100% polyester for maximum moisture-wicking capability, pulling sweat away from the skin and into the outer layer of the shirt to evaporate.

A polo shirt features a soft welted collar and cuffs, with the collar meant to be turned up as needed to keep sun off the wearer’s neck, a slightly longer tail to keep the shirt tucked into pants, and no breast pocket. While many polo shirts are made from polyester or cotton/poly blends, others are 100% cotton, appropriate for indoor wear.

While you may be technically correct Flatbush, in reality nobody or almost nobody is going to notice or care what the material is or how it is sewed up or the pockets or not.

From 5 or more feet away, they look identical and I dare anybody to ban the wearing of a "golf"shirt since all it has have is a collar. Absolutely positive most everyone wears a polo shirt for golf or a golf shirt for polo and nobody is the wiser.

Perhaps things are different in California where many things differ but, in the rest of the world, nobody cares.

Have you seen that as a big problem on cruises? :eek:

I'm guessing the number of children is also small. My wife was a teacher for 30 years, but surprisingly, or maybe not, not a big fan of children.

I have rarely seen many people eating in the dining venues with caps on backwards or otherwise ...it does happen on occasion

Children are few unless on the Holiday cruise in Dec

We were on a HAL cruise where one man insisted on wearing his hat at the table every night very rude IMO

While you may be technically correct Flatbush, in reality nobody or almost nobody is going to notice or care what the material is or how it is sewed up or the pockets or not.

From 5 or more feet away, they look identical and I dare anybody to ban the wearing of a "golf"shirt since all it has have is a collar. Absolutely positive most everyone wears a polo shirt for golf or a golf shirt for polo and nobody is the wiser.

Perhaps things are different in California where many things differ but, in the rest of the world, nobody cares.

I agree ;)

Difference is not important to me. But, some did ask what the difference was.

LOL! I live in Southern California, and trust me, nobody cares. And to be honest, he lost me at "welted". What does that even mean? Wait...I don't wanna know. :p

Well said, Dave - and plus golf shirts differ in different countries. The flimsy material that a lot of the US ones are made of simply wouldn't do here in Switzerland. Both of us wear Lands End Polo shirts for golf (sometimes monogrammed which my fellow members envy...) and either of us would also wear those to the Terrace in the evening if we wanted to.

Baseball caps - best kept in the cabin unless needed on deck to keep off the sun IMO!! Certainly not in any restaurant...

Well said, Dave - and plus golf shirts differ in different countries. The flimsy material that a lot of the US ones are made of simply wouldn't do here in Switzerland. Both of us wear Lands End Polo shirts for golf (sometimes monogrammed which my fellow members envy...) and either of us would also wear those to the Terrace in the evening if we wanted to.

Baseball caps - best kept in the cabin unless needed on deck to keep off the sun IMO!! Certainly not in any restaurant...

The most recognizable "US" branded polo shirts are those sold by Lands End and LL Bean (both of whose polo shirts are descendants of the original true "polo" shirts first modified for general wear by Rene Lacoste).

At the same time, the nature of mass retailing that is home based in the US finds many lesser examples of this type of shirt (e.g., to be found at stores like Walmart or via a zillion clothing websites where folks worldwide [even the Swiss] e-shop).

Of course, you'd expect to never find a professional golfer wearing a cheap version of a polo shirt. But, you'll probably not find him/her actually playing golf in the better "polo" brands like LL Bean or Lands End either. Rather, they will be wearing shirts made specifically for the sport of golf. And if you want to see the difference in material, cut, construction between a golf and a polo shirt, visit a golf pro shop and look at the true "golf" shirts (e.g., made by/for companies like Ping). True golf shirts are different in many ways - ways that IMO would make them far more unattractive than Lands End or LL Bean or Lacoste or Ralph Lauren polo shirts at dinner in the Terrace Cafe.

Again, I really don't care whether someone chooses to wear a golf shirt instead of a polo shirt (or a tennis shirt or a rugby shirt or any other collared shirt) to Waves or the Terrace Cafe But someone in this thread did ask about the difference between them. Perhaps they should've asked in the fashion forum.

sorry I did ask :eek:

to the untrained eye & for the purpose of dining on Oceania I am sure either version would pass for any of the dining venues

They just do not want t-shirts & tank tops in the restaurants for dinner with the exception of the Terrace where people may get by in those tops

daytime you can wear just about anything to the Terrace, Waves & the GDR with the exception of bathing attire ...except in WAVES

Y'know what's hilarious about this thread is...I have read uncountable threads that are pretty much the exact same conversation over my years on Cruise Critic! I swear, more people have become educated about the specifics of polo and golf shirts on Cruise Critic than anywhere else in the world. :p

Some of the threads turn into knock-down drag-out fights, which is always entertaining to watch grown men and women arguing to the death over...shirts. It's become one of the most common debates on Cruise Critic, along with:

Booze smuggling

Chair hogs

Jeans in the dining room

Tipping

Methinks I've been on Cruise Critic too long. ;) On the other hand, even after reading dozens upon dozens of golf-vs-polo debates, apparently I still had something to learn: "welted". Never heard that word before!

It is funny, bottom line if you want to ware shorts and a shirt with a collar with or without a monogram its OK in the terrace, food there is great and you will really enjoy it. Have fun. Be sure to try the surf and turf sandwich for lunch in waves, no collar required.

The rules never mention golf shirts, polo shirts, dress shirts, cowboy shirts or guayabera shirts -- they just say "collared". Any other interpretation is the opinion of the beholder and worth what you pay for it.

Not sure where Dan got the idea of slacks and golf shirt for "inside version"; the Terrace has the same rules whether it's inside or outside -- unless he was referring to the GDR and specialties as "inside version".