Majesty of the Seas-concerned

SK84

My husband and I have been on a few cruises with Carnival. This year for Thanksgiving we wanted to surpirse my parents and bring them on a cruise with us, instead of traveling up to the cold. Unfortunately we had a few hiccups and were unable to book the cruise we really wanted in time. So I decided the best option for what was available would be the Majesty of the Seas. We have 2 tween boys, my parents, husband and I going. My parents have never been on a cruise. Hubby seems less than impressed we are going to the Bahama's. I have read some pretty scary reviews of the MOS and now I am more stressed than anything about this vacation. Can anyone please give me some heads up with this ship and what to expect.

Husband says it will be too cold to swim/etc. I am concerned about ship activities? Night Life? I really want my parents to have a great time and I wouldn't mind being able to relax either!

I have found myself in tears extrememly worried... :(

I'm a less experienced cruiser than and I have no first hand experience to draw on.

However, I will say it seems like the reviews are bi-polar. One person says best cruise of their life. Next review (sometimes on the same sailing as the previous poster) says worst cruise of their life.

I went through the same thing with reviews until my head hurt and I wanted to smash something.

I guess my advise is to take the reviews with a grain of salt.

Take a breath, relax, enjoy and do not believe all you read. The long range forecast for the Bahamas shows high temps in the low to mid 80s when you are cruising. The normal sea water temps are in the upper 70s this time of year. So, as long as you have a sunny day swimming will be fine. As to activities on your ship, there will plenty of things to do for all members of your family. As to the ship, probably the biggest negative is she is getting old, and does have cabins that we always thought were a bit small.

Hank

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

The best place for all the Royal Caribbean info you will ever need, is the portion of Cruise Critic devoted to Royal Caribbean, located here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83

I got to agree- you need to take reviews with a large grain of salt. Majesty is one of their older ships, so it isn't going to be perfect. However, you probably won't notice a lot of things, particularly if you haven't cruised much before.

Our first cruise was on majesty in 1995....we loved it!!!!.....have since been on many cruises but never had more fun than that first one!...don't miss the therapy pool in the spa if it is still there....it was awesome but did take the color out of my new bathing suit....take an old one....the food will be varied,the waiters dapper and the stewards will do all the work in your cabin.....the Bahamas are not my favorite so have a plan to go to a beach for the day.....Nassau is hot and crowded and the famous straw market mostly from china....get a cab to paradise island and spend time on a beautiful beach there....have a wonderful time!

Being on a ship, any ship, at sea, is a wonderful thing. Nothing like seeing the sunset from the ship, or seeing flying fish as the ship moves through the sea.

So much to enjoy. Relax beforehand, relax on board, and have a wonderful time together.

Just a thought...have you considered Enchantment of the Seas?

No worries though. Majesty is a great little ship. Service is excellent and despite her age, the ship is very well maintained. There's live entertainment in numerous venues. The Latin bar (Boleros) is the life of the ship at night. One tip...if you can get into a deck 9 SO room, it is well worth it. The room is much larger and has a couch.

Otherwise, go and enjoy yourself. It's RCI's oldest ship and only ship of that class, and lacks many of RCI's signature amenities. It's still a really nice cruise though.

We did a Bahamas cruise on the Majesty in August and enjoyed it very much. People in all ages were on board. We have been on 5 different cruise lines and small ships as well as the bug ones like Oasis.

The Majesty is a very nice ship. Good food, service and entertainment.

I think a lot of negative reviews come from people who have not done their homework. They cruise Oasis or Freedom class then book on MOS expecting it to be the same and then are angry and disappointed it is older and smaller.

There are a lot of benefits of the smaller ships, enjoy your cruise!

I think a lot of negative reviews come from people who have not done their homework. They cruise Oasis or Freedom class then book on MOS expecting it to be the same and then are angry and disappointed it is older and smaller.

There are a lot of benefits of the smaller ships, enjoy your cruise!

I agree. Majesty is a great older ship. Majesty holds special memories for me anyhow though. It was the ship we sailed for our honeymoon. She was quite lovely then (1995). I am actually quite excited that she may be coming to Port Canaveral next year for short cruises to the Bahamas. I would love to sail on her again.

Just enjoy your vacation. No, she won't be the Oasis or Allure, but small ships have their own charm. We are doing a vacation on the Allure in March, and I think she may be too big, but I am ready to sail and find out for myself.

Everyone has their own opinion. Just go and enjoy the cruise. Don't stress about it.

It will be fine! As others have said, you can't compare the big one to the Majesty. It has its own personality. Check out the reviews for details about where to eat, what to do. If I remember right there is a little cafe that serves crepes.

We sailed Majesty of the Seas in 2008 (I think ;) ). It's a smaller ship, but until that point, the largest ship we had been on was what is now the NCL Sky. We also went to the Bahamas and we had a nice time. Don't fret ! Just work on getting excited about having fun with your family !

The Majesty was our first cruise experience, so I had nothing to compare it to, but I absolutely LOVED it! The crew was excellent and they were all so much fun. It was basically a four day party. The shows were better than I expected (especially the comedian). Yes, it is a smaller ship and doesn't have all of the specialty restaurants, but the food in the main dining room was good and the late night pizza joint was always a hit.

My biggest complaint about the ship was that the hot tubs (2) were tiny.

We traveled in late October and the weather was fantastic. You should be fine to swim in November!

All of the negative reviews had me terrified as well, but I really enjoyed the experience. I would do it again in a heartbeat!

Just thought of something else... When you board, go to the excursions desk and book a cabanette on Cococay (or multiples if you want your whole party to do the same thing). It was only $50 and included covered lounge chairs on a private beach, 2 floating mats, a big fruit tray, an ice bucket with bottled water... Plus there is a private bar there. It was probably the single best thing we did on that trip and, IMO, much better than the large, expensive cabanas that are right in the middle of the action.

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate it! Now, next question... Beer options and alcohol packages?!! Thoughts? It sounds crazy, to ask, but do you know or know where I can find the beer MOS carries and if they have any GF ciders?