Just of the Nieuw Amsterdam...and kinda disappointed

joanna111

One addition on my wife's behalf that exceeded my available edit time and I forgot previously:

My wife recalls her roast beef one night that came with Yorkshire pudding, a small roasted potato and broccoli. The beef could not be cut with the knife provided, the broccoli was cooked to a mushy green mass, the potato was shriveled and the Yorkshire pudding was "tough as leather" ...........on top of it all the gravy was so salty as to be totally inedible. She considers the meal worse than "leftovers heated in a microwave".

The experience was so unsatisfying because there was nothing else on the menu that was appealing. A later trip to the Lido later offered better quality and selection.

That sounds awful!!

I am getting depressed reading this as my next cruise is on the NA. Thankfully it is not a long one, so perhaps several PG bookings and a Canaletto and Tamarind will help. I am not sure if this a general trend on HAL or if it is exclusive to the NA, but whatever, I am sure is has left a lasting negative impression on the passengers.

I don't think it's a fleet wide thing and it does vary. I thought the food was quite good on the eurodam on my October cruise. That said, the lobster was quite good on week one. I decided to have it with mashed potaoes and they were equally good. The second week I repeated the process. The lobster was not great the second week and the potaoes tasted like they had no salt. Go figure.

I agree with the OP that overall, the food in the MDR and the Lido was "hotel-banquet-room" quality, geared to mass production of quantity over

We were recently on the oosterdam and had similar thoughts regarding the food. Some selections were very good indeed, but overall we found it was bland and the beef and chicken dishes were sometimes tough. Members of the dining room staff suggested the seasoning was toned down to appeal to passengers with sensitive stomachs.

We were disappointed that it wasn't up to par with our previous experiences but it was not bad.

For us dining is more of an event anyway so the food was always overshadowed by sparkling conversation with my table mates, the stellar service by the dinner and wine stewards, looking forward to the yum yum man, and well...wine. :)

Just disembarked OOSTERDAM Monday and MDR (late fixed) dinners were very good to excellent. Will be on NA the end of January and hoping it is better than being reported here.

I recall that for whatever reason, NA has frequently been reported as an unhappy ship with more issues than the rest of the fleet.

We were aboard in the Med. in 2012 and were pleasantly surprised, so hopefully will be again.

It's a shame it's so negative on the food on this thread. We never had that happen to us. We've never been disappointed; always been happy; surprised that there are so many reports that the food was not up to par. Certainly not our experience but it must vary I suppose.

I remember reading similar reviews of bad food on other cruise lines for TA voyages. I wonder if the sourcing of food in Europe vs. the US in the East to West trips has a lot to do with the food issue. Europeans are accustomed to grass fed beef vs. what we typically have here that is much more tender.

No complaints about the lamb or prime rib however

I am getting depressed reading this as my next cruise is on the NA. Thankfully it is not a long one, so perhaps several PG bookings and a Canaletto and Tamarind will help. I am not sure if this a general trend on HAL or if it is exclusive to the NA, but whatever, I am sure is has left a lasting negative impression on the passengers.

Facts are facts and if they sound negative to you then you should have been there...........REALLY, food in Lido was better many nights than in DR and that was where we ate when we couldn't get into Pinnacle.

It's a shame it's so negative on the food on this thread. We never had that happen to us. We've never been disappointed; always been happy; surprised that there are so many reports that the food was not up to par. Certainly not our experience but it must vary I suppose.

I remember reading similar reviews of bad food on other cruise lines for TA voyages. I wonder if the sourcing of food in Europe vs. the US in the East to West trips has a lot to do with the food issue. Europeans are accustomed to grass fed beef vs. what we typically have here that is much more tender.

No complaints about the lamb or prime rib however

Unless things have changed and I am incorrect (which would not be the first time that has happened), the Sterling Silver Beef in the Pinnacle Grill is no longer served. Double R Ranch Beef is served and those cattle as grass-fed as compared to those used by Sterling Silver.

If the Prime Rib was good, why would the other beef entrees be lacking?

As in a previous post: I put the responsibility on the skills and management of the ship's Executive Chef.

I believe you are correct as I remember the Double R descriptions in the Pinnacle. Looking at the Double R website it shows that they have 3 grades of beef and perhaps the Pinnacle uses one of their top one or two grades.

I only had the Filet Mignon in the Pinnacle and don't even know if prime rib was on their menu. The prime rib we had was in the MDR and it was very good whether Double R or not, while the other beef dishes we had in the MDR were tough overall and particularly the short ribs and sliced beef served with Yorkshire pudding one evening. Lamb dishes were typically very good in the MDR in contrast.

Although HAL has definitely changed the quality of its beef overall, the choices of good food in the Pinnacle, Tamarind and Lido are more than adequate to provide a good experience. I like many others really like the Dive In (used once), the Pizza station (twice) and the Oriental selections (daily) at lunch in the Lido. We like many others based on the constant lines there, ate many lunches at the oriental food station and I got to experience both Passion fruit and Dragon fruit for the first time (also, whole fresh lychees were also there for the uninitiated).

GREAT JOB HAL keep this area vibrant for folks like us.

Unless things have changed and I am incorrect (which would not be the first time that has happened), the Sterling Silver Beef in the Pinnacle Grill is no longer served. Double R Ranch Beef is served and those cattle as grass-fed as compared to those used by Sterling Silver.

If the Prime Rib was good, why would the other beef entrees be lacking?

As in a previous post: I put the responsibility on the skills and management of the ship's Executive Chef.

Edited by OBX-Cruisers

Just disembarked OOSTERDAM Monday and MDR (late fixed) dinners were very good to excellent.

Perhaps my statement came off a bit harsh and broad sweeping. The soups and salads and desserts were excellent! However when it came to the mains, they ranged from bland pasta or tough steak and chicken (I would hate to pay for that at a restaurant), to good (chain restaurant) and some were very good indeed (chef or HAL quality). Certainly they can't please everybody all the time, but this was the consensus of my family. My overall dining experience received top marks, but I also felt the quality of the food on this specific cruise was not the same as it has been on my previous cruises.

Facts are facts and if they sound negative to you then you should have been there...........REALLY, food in Lido was better many nights than in DR and that was where we ate when we couldn't get into Pinnacle.

I am sure you are right. Glad I wasn't there.

I remember reading similar reviews of bad food on other cruise lines for TA voyages. I wonder if the sourcing of food in Europe vs. the US in the East to West trips has a lot to do with the food issue.

I did wonder the same thing. But that doesn't explain the recipes that were, shall we say, unusual. Gravy under steak? Really? When the Yorkshire pudding is tough to cut, there is something seriously wrong going on.

Cakes were way too dry---I didn't want to eat the chocolate cake. :eek:

I do agree that the source of the beef could have been part of the problem, but I also think the head chef was not HAL's best.

One addition on my wife's behalf that exceeded my available edit time and I forgot previously:

My wife recalls her roast beef one night that came with Yorkshire pudding, a small roasted potato and broccoli. The beef could not be cut with the knife provided, the broccoli was cooked to a mushy green mass, the potato was shriveled and the Yorkshire pudding was "tough as leather" ...........on top of it all the gravy was so salty as to be totally inedible. She considers the meal worse than "leftovers heated in a microwave".

The experience was so unsatisfying because there was nothing else on the menu that was appealing. A later trip to the Lido later offered better quality and selection.

I was so excited to see Yorkshire pudding... and then I read your description. Sounds like they undercooked it and let it finish as they kept it warm. NOT how it's done in my house!!!

I am pleased to see that lamb is still good. I look forward to rack of lamb on the first gala night.

As for food being bland, I find the "sensitive stomach" answer hard to accept. OK, so go easy on the harsh/strong spices, but don't assume everyone has a sensitive stomach. Someone who needs to have NO spices or herbs whatsoever would be asking for a special-needs menu, not eating the regular food.

I have to say, we've had good luck on our HAL cruises. Only the last night, which ironically celebrates the Culinary Council, has been disappointing.

I did wonder the same thing. But that doesn't explain the recipes that were, shall we say, unusual. Gravy under steak? Really? When the Yorkshire pudding is tough to cut, there is something seriously wrong going on.

Cakes were way too dry---I didn't want to eat the chocolate cake. :eek:

I do agree that the source of the beef could have been part of the problem, but I also think the head chef was not HAL's best.

Yikes! When our resident chocoholic turns down chocolate cake, you know it's bad! :eek:

Gravy under steak sounds like a plating error. I wonder if it was meant to be a little drizzle on the plate and somebody had a heavy hand with the spoon.

Gravy under steak sounds like a plating error. I wonder if it was meant to be a little drizzle on the plate and somebody had a heavy hand with the spoon.

It wasn't a one-off, but rather SOP. I have never seen gravy under steak in my life---not on HAL, not at home, not anywhere. It didn't belong there at all.

I thought it a peculiarity of the chef.

I also find it typical, but strange, that turkey has a beef gravy served with it.

It wasn't a one-off, but rather SOP. I have never seen gravy under steak in my life---not on HAL, not at home, not anywhere. It didn't belong there at all.

I also find it typical, but strange, that turkey has a beef gravy served with it.

Makes you wonder if this was a chef-in-training- and all by himself!

Euwww! Turkey with beef gravy???? Yuck!

Reminds me of our last time on the Norway. Toward the end, NCL was running her on the cheap. We could see it in the cuts of beef and other changes in food. But when a top-grade cabin goes for under $1000 pp for a week (early 2000s), we didn't expect filet mignon. The last dinner we had was leg of lamb and it was served with beef gravy.

We also just got back from the Barcelona-Ft. Lauderdale portion of this cruise.

Due to catching the resident "cold" plague that was on this ship, we missed almost all meals in the MDR (just couldn't eat at 8pm when sick!).

Also were disgusted to have to pay $17.99 for an $8 bottle of Dayquil - but if you are sick and need it you just bite the bullet.

The food was OK but not great. Everything was very salty- but that is a general issue for us on all cruises.

We found the salad bar in the Lido to be an excellent option - they always had seared Ahi Tuna available. The NY Pizza was also good.

Sushi started out good but then went to the vegetarian options later on during the week. Much of the Asian options had very little flavor, but occasionally you would get lucky.

The pasta station had good days and bad days - a bad day was when they just added what I wanted to the pasta After they sauce.

We like the DiveInn but it took 45 minutes to get a Portobello burger - and my DH had to wait and watch many other orders get taken and served while he waited (and fumed).

It seems that the Lido had the best food options on board. We were disappointed that Tamarind was closed for lunch- this was where we were planning to eat often after reading about it on the boards.

I, like RuthC, am a chocoholic and there were few options to be found. Ice cream became the dessert of choice for us. A few days they had cream puffs at the lido.

No-one has mentioned the fire on board... fortunately it was contained and resolved quickly.

We were in the group of "lucky 7" who were abandoned at a hotel (Melia?) with no rooms after the bus left on November 2. Standing around with our luggage for over an hour waiting... until we insisted that HAL get two taxis to take us over to the Hilton. Finally got to the hotel around 8:30pm after sitting in the terminal all day. Not a very good start to this trip.

Sorry HAL; this was the 'last chance' cruise for you and we just don't feel like we are getting the type of product you advertise.

We are trying Oceania next!

When I don't find something I want on the dessert menu I will frequently order the fruit soup from the starter menu. Our waiter suggested adding a scoop of ice cream to it - yum! This allows me to have the onion soup as a starter and not miss out on the fruit soup.:)

Makai 7; Re the "cold plague"

Wife had it too and now I have it after returning to the US. In our case we got on in Rome so I stopped in "Pharmacia" in Florence and communicated what I needed to the pharmacist by pointing to wife and coughing a few times while holding my throat..(wife thought I was nuts, BUT).......we got something for 7Euros not sold in the US and it helped.

I gotta study my Italian more perhaps

RE the "Asian options"...........shuffle to the end of the line where the oriental seasonings are located and fix up the bland dishes by adding a bit of fish sauce, low sodium soy sauce and/or a drop or two of the spicy condiments that are located at the end............does wonders.

Edited by OBX-Cruisers