"No Shorts" in dining room being enforced on CB

sonomaphil

Heads up for anyone on the CB. Just back yesterday from the 7 night Western Carib and no shorts in the dining room for men is being enforced.

We encountered a couple on the elevator, both in shorts, and they said they were turned away. My wife was worried an she had a nice pair of Capri type shorts on. I told here not to worry as I bet it's for men only. We parked at Vines and in a few minutes saw a couple with the man in shorts heading to the dining room. I stealthily followed to see what transpired and sure enough the men were told to put on long pants or head to the buffet. No issues for women as we went right in later in the evening.

Not an issue for me as I would always were long pants to the dining room but this may surprise some.

Shorts in the MDR may have reached the breaking point, because on our 4-day Nov cruise from Houston we didn't see this enforced. It reached the pinnacle when 4 "guys" entered in scruffy dinner wear, the best among them being attired in low rider shorts with a tank top and sneakers open with no laces and no socks. Slovenly for sure.

Excellent!

As for the post mentioning those gentlemen that arrived to the MDR dressed inappropriately, did any of the diners approach the maitre'd and comment on the lack of concern for the dinner dress policy?

From so many positive responses to the OP post,many people appreciate adhering to the dress policy.

Speaking to those in charge while on a cruise may reinforce Princess' ideas about guidelines for passengers.

Heads up for anyone on the CB. Just back yesterday from the 7 night Western Carib and no shorts in the dining room for men is being enforced.

We encountered a couple on the elevator, both in shorts, and they said they were turned away. My wife was worried an she had a nice pair of Capri type shorts on. I told here not to worry as I bet it's for men only. We parked at Vines and in a few minutes saw a couple with the man in shorts heading to the dining room. I stealthily followed to see what transpired and sure enough the men were told to put on long pants or head to the buffet. No issues for women as we went right in later in the evening.

Not an issue for me as I would always were long pants to the dining room but this may surprise some.

Good it's about time !!!

Tony

Not that I care one way or the other but I'd bet that if a man showed up in the same exact pair of Capri's he would be turned away.

The women should be held to the same rules.

And thus the embryonic beginnings of a class-action suit begin... Once settled I'm thinking they'll grandfather in those men who pronounce Capri with the accent on the initial syllable first; then the rest of us riff-raff a year or two later. [bellowed in our deep, manly voices:] "FREE THE CAPRI 200!!"

I'm glad to see enforcement. The "here are the rules/guidelines/suggestions' date=' now wear whatever you want" policy on some other lines makes me wonder why they bother with rules.[/quote']

Well said, could not agree more. Too many people these days with "rules don't apply to me" attitudes!:cool:

...I've never seen people wearing shorts to the MDR for dinner on any Princess ships we've taken...

They definitely were allowed in the MDR for dinner--on both men and women--on my last two Princess cruises. One cruise was on the Golden, the other on the Ruby. Both sailed from Los Angeles, so perhaps that was a factor.

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78

They definitely were allowed in the MDR for dinner--on both men and women--on my last two Princess cruises. One cruise was on the Golden, the other on the Ruby. Both sailed from Los Angeles, so perhaps that was a factor.

It all depends on the particular ship & Maitre D as to what they allow. The Crown had been pretty lenient in past years while other ships have held the line with shorts. Considering what the industry is doing lately I think we'll be seeing some minor changes in the near future....but that's only my opinion. ;)

We got off the Crown a week or so ago. Did not see any shorts in the MDR for dinner in 28 nights.

We too were on this cruise and did not see shorts in dining room at dinner time. We did see a man be denied entry to dining room at breakfast for wearing a sleeveless shirt. He was dressed in nice belted shorts with his shirt tucked in. This was not a wife beater, muscle type shirt but a shirt with hemmed sleeve holes. He was very neatly dressed but was told men could not wear sleeveless shirts in the dining room. He left and return wearing a short sleeve shirt.

Saw people turned away on Diamond last week too.

Same as on the Royal. While they are lenient about the dress code, shorts are still banned in the evenings. I saw 3 or 4 guys turned back the other night while a few women were allowed in with culottes. Considering past experiences the Royal seemed more people dressing according to the suggested dress code.

I taught high school for 30 years and I have found that there are always people who test the limits. If the cruise line suggests formal, a few will try to push to business casual. If it is business casual, then why not casual. If it is casual why not pajamas? At least by keeping it "formal" there is less of a chance of people showing up in their jammies. And yes I have seen people in PJ's in the buffet.

I taught high school for 30 years and I have found that there are always people who test the limits. If the cruise line suggests formal, a few will try to push to business casual. If it is business casual, then why not casual. If it is casual why not pajamas? At least by keeping it "formal" there is less of a chance of people showing up in their jammies. And yes I have seen people in PJ's in the buffet.

I wish schools had standards too maybe adults would learn early to dress appropriately, they did when I went school, a long time ago.

Not be careful....on a long cruise our roll call group organized a "pajama breakfast." But in all fairness, most of us went out and bought something for the event--something covered up, conservative, etc. Other than the fact that 40 of us showed up in mostly flannel, the outfits looked a lot better than some of the shorts, etc. that I've seen.

Kidding. I do understand that there is a difference between an organized event and someone rolling out of bed and deciding to not dress before breakfast.