Harmony of the Seas - Mediterranean. Too much ship for so few sea days?

Pipo

Looking at Harmony's itineraries for next year, I found that all the 7 days Mediterranean cruises have one sea day only. I feel it's a waste of ship, so big, with so many entertainment and features, to be docked six straight days. For me 3 ports, and 3 sea days, are the perfect balance for a week long cruise, especially on a ship of this size and characteristics. I can't imagine the flow rider in that single sea day...

Edited by Pipo

Looking at Harmony's itineraries for next year, I found that all the 7 days Mediterranean cruises have one sea day only. I feel it's a waste of ship, so big, with so many entertainment and features, to be docked six straight days. For me 3 ports, and 3 sea days, are the perfect balance for a week long cruise, especially on a ship of this size and characteristics. I can't imagine the flow rider in that single sea day...

Couldn't agree more.

You could easily stay on the ship in some ports.

When we did Allure in the Med this past July we stayed on at Civitavecchia which is a horrible place and unless you want to go to Rome then just stay on the ship!

I agree with the original post - we have harmony booked for next July but we did these ports a couple of years ago on Norwegian epic so this cruise is primarily to enjoy all harmony has to offer! If there had been a 10 or 12 day option we would have gone for that.

We did the 7 day Med last year, and we're doing it on Harmony next year with 3 other couples. The difference is that next year we're hardly getting off the ship. We get on at Civitavecchia so we'll have had 3 days in Rome. May have a half day excursion from Naples to Pompeii to see what I missed last year. Then It's a sea day. Getting off at Barcelona for Las Ramblas and Sagrada Famillia, (been to Barcelona before) Also been to Majorca so staying on board that day. Marseilles holds no interest for me, it's just a big, traffic packed port. Saw Pisa last time, it took an hour. So lots of time to look all around the ship. Need to get the best from my drinks package.:D

We did the 7 day Med last year, and we're doing it on Harmony next year with 3 other couples. The difference is that next year we're hardly getting off the ship. We get on at Civitavecchia so we'll have had 3 days in Rome. May have a half day excursion from Naples to Pompeii to see what I missed last year. Then It's a sea day. Getting off at Barcelona for Las Ramblas and Sagrada Famillia, (been to Barcelona before) Also been to Majorca so staying on board that day. Marseilles holds no interest for me, it's just a big, traffic packed port. Saw Pisa last time, it took an hour. So lots of time to look all around the ship. Need to get the best from my drinks package.:D

You have just described our plans for next year also. We have 3 full days in Rome pre cruise and embark from civitivecchia - this is a very port intensive cruise and we were exhausted the first time we did it ( got on in Barcelona last time and spent 3 days in Barcelona then )so really looking forward to a relaxing cruise this time and hoping the ship will be quite empty during the day - this is our first time on oasis class so lots to enjoy!

Yes. You are correct. But if it's the only ship sailing on the itinerary and you want to go on that itinerary, then it doesn't matter. If you don't care about the ports (as someone pointed out) then it also doesn't matter. I have done a couple of Mediterranean cruises. They are very port intensive and I only cared about relaxing on sea days. If it's a choice between Harmony or another ship, and the other cruise is cheaper, and you are in it for the ports, take the cheaper cruise by all means and come do Harmony when it's in the Caribbean. If you live in Europe, and it's your only chance to see the ship, then go for it. But I do agree that Oasis Class isn't designed for port intensive sightseeing cruises. They are designed as the "destination." You go on Oasis class for the ship, not the ports.

Edited by papaflamingo

Respectfully disagree.

We went on the Western Mediterranean this past June on Allure. Not only no regrets, but we had an amazing cruise. The shows, the dining, and the onboard experience for this wonderful class vessel resulted in a fantastic set of memories of a lifetime.

Not to miss one other key point - Captain Johnny and Jerome (CD) were also very engaged, enthusiastic, and wonderful to meet/talk with. They added to the ship's splendor and enjoyment.

Yes, the ports' opportunities are terrific and result in some long days, but there are also plenty of things the ship has to offer to combine with that experience. Spending a couple of days in Barcelona in advance of the departure is also recommended - many amazing things to see there as well even before the wonderful cruise itself.

As may others have said, a cruise is what you make of it.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

We have booked harmony for next year and have decided to have fake sea days other than the Italian ports which gives us two more days to explore the ship. But we are sailing practically the same itinerary on Epic the following week so will have the opportunity to do the ports we've elected to miss on harmony if we want to.

You have just described our plans for next year also. We have 3 full days in Rome pre cruise and embark from civitivecchia - this is a very port intensive cruise and we were exhausted the first time we did it ( got on in Barcelona last time and spent 3 days in Barcelona then )so really looking forward to a relaxing cruise this time and hoping the ship will be quite empty during the day - this is our first time on oasis class so lots to enjoy!

It'll be great being on a floating 5 star hotel that's half empty most of the days. No queues at the bars, no queues for the zip-line, flow rider, water slides, Abyss, and no queues at the bars. (yes I know I said that once) I'm sure we'll all have an unforgettable time.

Edited by W and W

There are many cruisers (us included) who have been to those ports lots and lots of times and don't feel any need to get off the ship at some of them. We sailed on Allure in the Med in June and it was so nice to have a ship with so much to offer for the days when we didn't want to get off.

I understand that people who have travelled long distances and for whom this may be their only opportunity to visit the Med could feel that an Oasis class ship is wasted on them, but it's nice to have a big ship in the Med for those who like the choice to stay onboard.

I think I read in a thread somewhere that allure sailed at more or less full capacity while in the med this year and certainly on our sailing on harmony next year there are not many cabins left even at this stage. What are the chances longer term of having an oasis class ship in Europe every summer considering there is oasis 4 to come and possibility of oasis 5?

I think I read in a thread somewhere that allure sailed at more or less full capacity while in the med this year and certainly on our sailing on harmony next year there are not many cabins left even at this stage. What are the chances longer term of having an oasis class ship in Europe every summer considering there is oasis 4 to come and possibility of oasis 5?

NCL tried having the Epic Barcelona/Rome based year round this season and have decided to move her back to compete with Oasis at Port Canaveral next year. I personally think it would work better out of Malaga with Canary Island sailings in the winter, but doubt they will try that with an Oasis class.

As they add the 4th and 5th Oasis class ships, this could again become a possibility, but it does appear now that RCI will be sending Freedom over to do this 7 night itinerary from May of 2017.

One of the reasons I booked the 5 day Harmony sailing at the beginning of the season was the fact that we have 2 sea days. I will only get off the ship at Naples/Capri for a few hours during that whole sailing.

That said, I think it is nice to return to a ship in the evenings with all that activity and dining choices. Dinner is normally served much later and having 9:30 PM late seating has sure worked for me if it is offered.

Many of the ports do not require marathon shore excursions.

If one has never been to Rome or does not plan a land visit, I understand that being a full day, but for me that becomes an automatic 'sea' day, just like Falmouth, Jamaica.

At Marseille a half day to Aix de Provence or a stroll in the old city is just fine for a couple hours.

At Le Spezia, I note RCI have started viewing this more as Cinque Terre and less as a marathon Pisa/Florence visit. I enjoy the views from the ship at this port and use this as a very relaxing stop with just a stroll to the La Spezia market.

A Palma visit can easily involve just a couple hours off the ship, with a quick shuttle link to the center city.

Naples/Capri is a nice port for an extended ship's shore excursion though.

• 2 months later...
You could easily stay on the ship in some ports.

When we did Allure in the Med this past July we stayed on at Civitavecchia which is a horrible place and unless you want to go to Rome then just stay on the ship!

exactly

that's what we plan on doing - stay on the harmony in some ports...

this is an opportunity for an oasis class ship being on our side of the ocean... :)

in any case, we don't 'do' france anymore at all....so the french port is an automatic day at sea for us....

Edited by alaska_planner

The Harmony is supposed to eventually move to Florida as its home port after sailing out of Europe for a few months. The OP is from Costa rica. Its quite expensive to fly to Europe. We sailed the med last year but primarily did it for the itinerary. I wouldnt have spent the amount required to fly to Europe if i was mainly interested in the ship not the itinerary.

Doing the Med in October. The itinerary was what I wanted and the price beat NCL. Always wanted to go to Spain so easy to pick Barcelona for 2 days before cruise. Also always like the newer and bigger ships.

Edited by Pmorton3360

We were on the allure last summer in the med, just don't go to port for a day or only spend a few hours off the ship, thats what we did, had the whole ship to ourselves. I find your statement rather irrelevant, your still on the ship for 7 days, they don't tell you to get off during port days...

Edited by 11madmic