State Department Advisory of 11/23/15

NCJean

90 days. Then a re-examination during this period is what is likely to occur.

Obviously - I'm sure no one figured things would be good by late February - but it is just an example of government thinking. They want to put out a warning, but they do not want it to last forever - nor do they want to evergo on the record as saying that the danger is over -- so they will simply keep renewing the warning until people forget about it.

I'm hoping this will lead to some really great cruise fares and cheaper airfare if people really do follow through and cancel (or decide not to book) European travel/cruises.

I plan to take full advantage.

I have not found any bargains, yet, still $1000+ to get to Europe from here.

If you trust the State Department's judgement to take their warning sufficiently seriously to consider changing/canceling your travel plans, why not trust them sufficiently to pay attention to the magic February 24 date - when, apparently, they think the cause for concern will evaporate? I do not know what they think will happen by close of business February 23, but apparently someone in the know seems to think the danger will pass by then.

There were grounds for concern before Paris - but no one in government took them seriously enough to issue warnings - now it seems that someone wants to cover his tail by being able to say "I told you so".

Be careful - but live your life.

You wrote " I do not know what they think will happen by close of business day February 23rd but apparently someone in the know seems to think the danger will pass by then."

There was no indication of;) or:rolleyes: so I too actually think that you wrote what you meant.;)

Don't worry I think any one of us would have denied that!:D ;)

You wrote " I do not know what they think will happen by close of business day February 23rd but apparently someone in the know seems to think the danger will pass by then."

There was no indication of;) or:rolleyes: so I too actually think that you wrote what you meant.;)

Don't worry I think any one of us would have denied that!:D ;)

Come on!!!!

Is it really necessary to add some little rolling-eye icon to a patently absurd statement to hint to people that such an absurd statement might perhaps not be meant to be taken seriously?

The absurdity of the definitive February 24 date begged to be pointed out. Didn't my use of the "close of business February 23" language suggest anything to you?

Come on!!!!

Is it really necessary to add some little rolling-eye icon to a patently absurd statement to hint to people that such an absurd statement might perhaps not be meant to be taken seriously?

The absurdity of the definitive February 24 date begged to be pointed out. Didn't my use of the "close of business February 23" language suggest anything to you?

Thank you for this.:D

Little too early yet, IMO. The airlines will wait and see if people are just spooked for a couple of weeks or if bookings are genuinely down....

Many folks would have May and June flights booked by now wouldn't they? That wouldn't leave full flights to fill.

I remember back around 1992 (give or take), the Red Brigade was terrorizing Italy and there was fear in Europe. Princess cancelled a number of European cruises and brought Royal Princess (the older one) back to Caribbean for summer season.

If bookings for Med/European cruises have truly awful bookings, the cruises lines may reposition the ships and have dirt cheap summer fares in the Caribbean.

My late DH and I loved sailing HAL's newest ship a number of times in summer months and miss those cruises. They chose to reposition to Canada/NE, Alaska and Europe for higher fares.

I really wonder how many North Americans have booked a spring or summer of 2016 cruise in Europe in the last month or so. I bet the numbers are down considerably because talk is cheap.

I have not found any bargains, yet, still $1000+ to get to Europe from here.

Turkey just shot down Russia's plane.

President of France is still on the rounds visiting other heads of state.... Germany and Russia still on his list.

Give 'em time. Too soon for price drops and any changes. Afterall, things may rapidly improve with Isis and world politics...... (we can hope).

Turkey just shot down Russia's plane.

President of France is still on the rounds visiting other heads of state.... Germany and Russia still on his list.

Give 'em time. Too soon for price drops and any changes. Afterall, things may rapidly improve with Isis and world politics...... (we can hope).

I think that some world stability and people really feeling comfortable to travel would be worth paying full air and cruise fares for.:)

At this point there are some places that we are more likely to travel than others.

This is how we feel as well. We have rethought a planned trip next year and are replacing it with one we were planning for the following year. We have decided that Paris and Brussels are just not places we care to place ourselves for the foreseeable future, however there are other parts of Europe that we will visit instead.

We are not easily scared off--we were in Paris this year six weeks after Charlie Hebdo and in Athens during the elections in 2012, but my gut says it will get worse before better and there are just parts of The world we will avoid for now.

It will take some time before price reductions come (if ever). Cruise and air lines will have to see a drop in demand before they will cut prices, and it will take some time for that drop to manifest itself (if ever). I recall seeing cruise prices dropping n the Spring of 2002 -- several months after September 11 -- and finally booking a tremendous deal on Maasdam about a week before a June sailing - it was something like $250 for an outside 7 day with no single supplement.

This is how we feel as well. We have rethought a planned trip next year and are replacing it with one we were planning for the following year. We have decided that Paris and Brussels are just not places we care to place ourselves for the foreseeable future, however there are other parts of Europe that we will visit instead.

We are not easily scared off--we were in Paris this year six weeks after Charlie Hebdo and in Athens during the elections in 2012, but my gut says it will get worse before better and there are just parts of The world we will avoid for now.

My sister did the same. Swapped Europe for Hawaii. Now instead of worrying they are excited. Who knows how they will feel come May but they deserve to look forward to their hard earned vacation.:)

I just cancelled our river cruise on Tauck and Adriatic cruise on O (Spring 2016 for 30 days in Europe). I then proceeded to book a cruise on Disney April 2016 for the whole family to the Caribbean. It is my Grandson's 5th birthday:) We are all very happy!

I have traveled extensively and really did not like feeling apprehensive and do not like the idea of dealing with all of the travel lines etc. due to extensive security.

Not my idea of a relaxing vacation.

Tomorrow I will work on getting my BA Business Class airfare adjusted for my Silversea British Isles cruise in 2017. :) still cruising but not to Europe at this time.

Edited by portofinoitaly

I didn't go see Mockingjay this week end. Theaters need metal detectors. It's just not safe.

This is a post that needs :mad: or :rolleyes: or ;)

It's 50/50 to me. It could be a serious post or it could be someone who feels that we should all pull up our big boy pants and trudge forward.

Please people. Help me out here. Use the Imoges. That's why we have them!

If you were being sarcastic then :p but if you were being sincere then I hope that the movie goes to pay per view quickly. :)

Edited by Karysa

I respectfully disagree. This State Dept has had problems identifying answering & responding to terrorism. For this State Dept to send out a tavel notice over the Thanksgiving holiday is telling. It's something that I believe one should take serious and not sneeze at.

There is not a doubt that terrorism is on the increase, not decrease. Therefore, as terrorism grows, changing one's list is the smart thing to do. BTW, it's my opinion that they're (ISIS & all terrorists) not into winning your 'fear'. They are into changing the world to abolish Chrisitanity. Fear is a a natural reaction & by product from their actions. Being fearful and scared is nothing to be ashamed of. It's how one handles themselves when subjected to the emotion. Being fearful and vigilant is the smart thing to do.

I believe you missed the original question that was posted. The OP wants to know if it they should worry about a terrorist threat to a cruise ship two days after the current warning expires.

There is an informative interview in today's Washington Post with a State Department official on traveling in the current environment including what to do you are involved in a terrorist attack : https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/travel/after-paris-attacks-state-department-says-travel-but-be-alert--and-call-home/2015/11/24/8884f7a2-92d4-11e5-b5e4-279b4501e8a6_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-cards_hp-card-lifestyle%3Ahomepage%2Fcard

A few hours after our conversation, the agency released its Worldwide Travel Alert. In a response the next day, Bernier-Toth wrote in an e-mail, “We are urging U.S. citizens to maintain a high level of vigilance and exercise particular caution during the holiday season and at sites frequented by tourists. . . . We are not advising U.S. citizens to avoid travel to Europe, or any region in particular.”

There is an informative interview in today's Washington Post with a State Department official on traveling in the current environment including what to do you are involved in a terrorist attack : https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/travel/after-paris-attacks-state-department-says-travel-but-be-alert--and-call-home/2015/11/24/8884f7a2-92d4-11e5-b5e4-279b4501e8a6_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-cards_hp-card-lifestyle%3Ahomepage%2Fcard

A few hours after our conversation, the agency released its Worldwide Travel Alert. In a response the next day, Bernier-Toth wrote in an e-mail, “We are urging U.S. citizens to maintain a high level of vigilance and exercise particular caution during the holiday season and at sites frequented by tourists. . . . We are not advising U.S. citizens to avoid travel to Europe, or any region in particular.”

Thanks for the link.

Everyone has to weigh up for themselves their own comfort level but I am curious.

I have travel booked to visit Los Angeles prior to a cruise this January. So with the World Wide travel ban in place those who are saying they are staying home and not travelling would you recommend I don't travel to the States as well?

This is just a rhetorical question though, as I will travel but I will just be careful.

Two days ago I had a good example of anything can happen anywhere. I was walking on the footpath at my local shops when a car coming into a parking spot a few feet in front of me mounted the footpath and smashed through a shop's large plate glass window. Luckily no one was hurt.......apart from the totally wrecked shop front. But I must admit to feeling a shaky after as realised that if I had walked that little bit faster I could have been in front of the shop window when the driver accidentally hit the accelerator.

So I am hoping whoever was watching out for me that day stays around.:)

Holding mine.

It is an alert, not a ban.

I've been following this thread with interest.

Today Obama went on TV and announced there is no specific or credible threat to the US which partially contradicts the State Departments warning. This is JMO, but I don't think anyone is sure of anything at any time.

Here's what the State Department said:

"The alert does not instruct Americans to avoid travel, but it does urge U.S. citizens to "exercise vigilance when in public places or using transportation."

"Be aware of immediate surroundings and avoid large crowds or crowded places. Exercise particular caution during the holiday season and at holiday festivals or events," the State Department said in the alert."

Is it just me or do these two announcements (Obama vs State Dept) seem really uncoordinated, partially contradictory and poorly thought out? The warning has apparently impacted some people's Thanksgiving travel plans:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/11/24/thanksgiving-travel/76319162/

People are perceiving a step up in security at US airports and then Obama goes on TV with a partially contradictory statement. UGH!

Now as far as the original question. My overseas travel plans are not until May so it is too soon for me to make any decisions as to whether or not I will change anything.

In regards to my own travel and the original question, I'm good at thinking outside the box on vacations. I don't feel the need to go to the typical tourist spots in Europe that most people think they HAVE to go to when there are so many much more interesting places that are off the beaten path. So, that will probably be my travel strategy - to see these amazing places that most Americans don't even know about and focus on private tours.

Today Obama went on TV and announced there is no specific or credible threat to the US which partially contradicts the State Departments warning. This is JMO, but I don't think anyone is sure of anything at any time.

Well that's interesting. Did he miss the recent ISIS video singling out New York City as their next target? Then again, he also made the bold statement about ISIS being contained as recent as 2 weeks ago right before Paris was struck. Yeah, no threat.