Princess with a toddler

Sam's Mom

We've been on about 25 cruises, but this will be our first with our 3.5 year old toddler (Crown 12/27 to Mexico). He is really picky about food and eats about ten things, of which Kraft Mac 'n Cheese is his favorite. Has anyone been able to get Kraft Mac 'n Cheese in the MDR or for that matter anywhere on a Princess ship? I'm just trying to figure out how many Goldfish and Cheerios I will have to pack so that my son doesn't starve!!!

You can try contacting:

Marisa Sanders*special diets/Place order for distilled water/baby food

dietaryrequest@princesscruises.com (661) 284-4450

She may be able to help. I am sure they have mac & cheese, but probably not Kraft's. I am pretty sure they have boxes of cheerios in the buffet for breakfast.

I don't know if he will be on the end of December, but if Justin Laws is Captain, his wife and son are usually with him. The son is or so. They were on the Crown with us in October/November.

We've been on about 25 cruises' date=' but this will be our first with our 3.5 year old toddler (Crown 12/27 to Mexico). He is really picky about food and eats about ten things, of which Kraft Mac 'n Cheese is his favorite. Has anyone been able to get Kraft Mac 'n Cheese in the MDR or for that matter anywhere on a Princess ship? I'm just trying to figure out how many Goldfish and Cheerios I will have to pack so that my son doesn't starve!!![/quote']

I've seen Mac n cheese.

Doubt it's Kraft.

You could bring the Kraft Mac and Cheese cups that you just add boiling water to. They are very light weight and only require boiling water.

My picky eating niece traveled to China with a whole bunch of these and managed just fine.:)

There is a Kids Menu available that includes Mac and Cheese. Of course there are all sorts of pastas available daily.

This may also be a good time to experiment a little with food! Order a small portion of something new-to-him off the menu and your child may like it. Or go to the buffet and have your son choose his own food; with so much variety, I'm sure there will be something he'll like.

Cheers!

There is a Kids Menu available that includes Mac and Cheese. Of course there are all sorts of pastas available daily.

This may also be a good time to experiment a little with food! Order a small portion of something new-to-him off the menu and your child may like it. Or go to the buffet and have your son choose his own food; with so much variety, I'm sure there will be something he'll like.

Cheers!

I agree! I am going to try to encourage new food, but I want to make sure there is something he likes. My husband and I are rather adventurous eaters and we take our son to many restaurants. We always offer him what is on our plates (even at home), but he always declines.

The kids menu at dinner is the same every night and has the normal kids dinner options you find most places. Another option is the buffet and other lido deck foods are good for a quick kid dinner before you drop him off at the club, then you could have dinner elsewhere. We are doing Anytime dining with our 4 year old in January so we can have that flexibility.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It will not be Kraft Mac and cheese....but guess what? If he gets hungry enough, he will eat what he's given! I'm not kidding...or being mean...sometimes a person must experience a bit of hunger to get over their pickiness.....I can tell you this from experience! The hungrier you are, the more foods you will try.

A normal child will NOT allow themselves to starve...I guarantee that. You just have to be willing to say "Oh, well", when they won't eat what they're given.

Someone typed the kids menu a few years ago and it hasn't changed:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=79028&highlight=menus

I am sure if you speak to your waiter or head waiter the first night and request mac and cheese nightly, they will make it daily for your son. They are pretty good about special requests in the dining room.

Your son may love their fettuccine alfredo. It is available nightly on the adult menu.

Kraft mac and cheese is way different from mac and cheese made with actual cheese. My daughter (now 18) is a major mac and cheese eater but decided early on that she didn't care for the Kraft type. She trusts my version and she says she often prepares it in her dorm kitchen for herself now. She's a picky eater and on cruise ships she would often eat the hot dogs and pizza almost exclusively (and sometimes chicken), but on our last cruise she decided to try the Calamari when we were in Sabatinis. Now if she sees that on the menu in a restaurant, she'll want to order it.

I will be on the Crown 12/19 with a 2 year old and relatively picky 5 year old. I feel you! I agree about fettuccine. I know it isn't exactly Kraft (which has a particular flavor, yum!) but sometimes my older daughter will surprise me and eat that. Does your 3.5 year old like eggs? I wonder if hard-boiled eggs (one of my staples at home) could be made available at dinnertime? Good luck to you on the cruise. I'm sure you'll do great!

I recently sailed Ruby with my two-year-old granddaughter. She loved the kids' fruit salad (mostly melon) and ate it at every meal, breakfast, lunch and dinner. Our head waiter called her "Fruit Salad" and said he had another little boy in his section who would eat nothing but the little corn on the cobs like you get on prime rib night. He called him "Corn." He was one of the nicest HW we've had. Your toddler will find something to eat and then eat it over and over.

Someone typed the kids menu a few years ago and it hasn't changed:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=79028&highlight=menus

I am sure if you speak to your waiter or head waiter the first night and request mac and cheese nightly, they will make it daily for your son. They are pretty good about special requests in the dining room.

Your son may love their fettuccine alfredo. It is available nightly on the adult menu.

The food on the kids menu is excellent. It has to be

When we took our daughter on her first cruise when she was eight years old turning nine it took me three days to coax her to try a shrimp cocktail. Whenever we went out to eat after the cruise she always asked if she could order a shrimp cocktail.

A cruise ship dining room is the best place to have a fussy child try and taste new things. If they don't like it the wait staff will just take it away. Some won't even tell the child what it is but just ask them to try it.

From the kids menu

The spaghetti and meatballs on the kids menu is delicious

I ordered it as an appetizer.

2015-092315%20%20My%20Pictures%20092315%20Caribbean%20Princess%20Norway%20329_zpsjn8oudzb.jpg

And so is the volcano

2015-092315%20%20My%20Pictures%20092315%20Caribbean%20Princess%20Norway%201836_zpsqoqcfffe.jpg

Howard

I am pretty sure they have boxes of cheerios in the buffet for breakfast.

No Cheerios or similar in the buffet. They have Kellogg's and Cheerios is General Mills. They do have things like fruit loops, and other sugar coated cereals like frosted flakes.

We are just off the Caribbean Princess-sailed with a 6 and a 3.5 year old who have similar eating habits. I brought several of the just add hot water kraft mac and cheese- used them only on the airplane ride home.

My 6 year old was a little better about trying new things.

My particular 3.5 struggled-but didn't starve. I found taking her into the buffet, or reading the menu and letting her pick worked best. She ate plain spaghetti noodles, fruit, all week for dinner. Pizza for lunch, and fruit loops for breakfast.

I saw mac and cheese in the buffet once.

Off the kids menu my kids loved the alphabet soup- just a nice chicken broth with the alphabet pasta, and the fruit salad (they will usually bring the fruits you ask for- my kids love strawberries and melon). You can usually get rice krispies in the buffet as well in the little boxes and they have yogurt too. My son loved most of the adult entrees he ordered as long as he got the sauce on the side.

Our granddaughters favorite was the fettucine alfredo, sometimes they would have grilled chicken strips on it. Princess also has a lovely fruit cocktail with the fruit cut very small that they liked. And did I say how yummy the chicken fingers on the childrens menu is?! :p