Security on Celebrity ?

Team

:confused:I would like to know if anyone has any comments about using the cabin safe ??

I always travel with cash that I may or may not want to put into a cabin safe . Just wondering if anyone has any insight on this matter. I know that on some land resorts it is suggested NOT to put stuff or use safe in room because of employee theft. Wondering if cruise ships are having a problem ? Thank YOU

T&N

PS is there another place to put cash or jewelry on the ship such as purser or ?

We had a problem with our safe on our last X cruise. It wouldn't open, although we'd used the safe successfully for 5 days prior to that.

Security sent 2 officers to our room resolve the issue. They used a special electronic device to unlock the safe. New batteries were installed in the safe, and all was well again.

Room stewards do not have access to that device, nor do they have any override codes that would allow access. You simply have to remember to lock the safe each and every time that you use it.

In light of this and other posts discussing theft from cabins I thought I would share this story. Last year we sailed the Equinox in AQ. From the start we had a problem with my room key not working & had to get it replaced. About five days in I went to Aqua cafe to get some lunch and hubby went to get a burger. We like to bring stuff back and eat on our balcony. I got back and after 45 minutes he still wasn't back so was wondering why. Eventually I found him in the corridor looking very embarrassed. Turns out he put his key in the cabin door and it wouldn't work so thinking he had the same problem I had was about to go to guest relations when a room steward ( not ours ) appeared. He saw he was struggling with his key in one hand and burger in the other and opened the door for him. He then sat on the balcony for a while, ate the burger, had a glass of iced tea and wondered why I was taking so long.

Deciding to lie on the bed and read his book he opened the top drawer and then realised the clothes in there looked nothing like his !

Yes you probably already guessed, he was two cabins down from ours and couldn't get out of there fast enough!

Everyone we've told thinks its hilarious but I thought I would share as it could have been much more serious.

In light of this and other posts discussing theft from cabins I thought I would share this story. Last year we sailed the Equinox in AQ. From the start we had a problem with my room key not working & had to get it replaced. About five days in I went to Aqua cafe to get some lunch and hubby went to get a burger. We like to bring stuff back and eat on our balcony. I got back and after 45 minutes he still wasn't back so was wondering why. Eventually I found him in the corridor looking very embarrassed. Turns out he put his key in the cabin door and it wouldn't work so thinking he had the same problem I had was about to go to guest relations when a room steward ( not ours ) appeared. He saw he was struggling with his key in one hand and burger in the other and opened the door for him. He then sat on the balcony for a while, ate the burger, had a glass of iced tea and wondered why I was taking so long.

Deciding to lie on the bed and read his book he opened the top drawer and then realised the clothes in there looked nothing like his !

Yes you probably already guessed, he was two cabins down from ours and couldn't get out of there fast enough!

Everyone we've told thinks its hilarious but I thought I would share as it could have been much more serious.

I love this story!!

As for the safes. I always use the safe with no problem except a couple times like a previous poster said where the battery was dying. Simple enough fix.

One issue that I have though is forgetting if I locked the safe. I've actually run back on the ship from port to make sure I locked it. So now I leave a note for myself hanging on the door as I leave.

LOL :D:D

Gotta ask... :rolleyes:

Still have the headsets? :D:D:p

Are things safe in the safe (pun intended)? Yes as security and top officers are the only ones with an override. They can open either mechanically or manually. Seems there are lots of stories about things disappearing from safes, but have never found any of them ultimately to turn out to be true. Usually things put elsewhere in the cabin.

Cabin stewards would not likely attempt such an act because if caught they would be put off the ship at the next port and prosecuted there by local authorities. If you were from the Philippines just think about what a jail in Haiti would be like and then the cost to get home.

We always have used the safes on Celebrity or for that matter any cruise line.

In likelihood the only people who could enter them would be from security.

Keith

True. We "lost" the passcode once and had to wait for someone from security to come to our cabin. It was remarkably quick.

Ship's safes are as secure as you are going to get in the tourist industry and I've never hesitated to store my valuables in them. If you Google the question, you'll find a lot of information and videos suggesting that they can be broken into with some ease, but how credible this information is remains to be seen. In spite of the extensive use of the safes by the hotel industry, I've not seen any reporting about significant numbers of break-ins.

You're really worrying about nothing. I've never heard of a safe being "broken into"...yes, the head of security CAN get into the safe in an emergency, but that's an EMERGENCY...they never bother the safe unless you request it.

As a matter of fact, if your safe doesn't work for some reason, and you call someone to fix it, you MUST be there while they work on it.....

We use the safe for trip information, passport , drivers license and medical ID. I always make copies of all and carry the copies off ship. We never take expensive jewelry but we do bring cash and we leave that in the safe. We bring a laptop and ipad but never lock them up. We have never had a problem, but I don't bring anything that can't be replaced. You might lose more getting mugged off shore than you will leaving your stuff in the safe.

I had a similar experience trying to open a cabin door two along from where I should have. I went Guest relations and had the key card changed and came back and opened the "right" cabin. It took me a couple of days to realise that my original issue was trying to open the wrong cabin. We have since got a magnetic picture to put on the outside of our cabin door to "assist me " in future. When one looks at the long corridors of cabins it is understandable how such mistakes can occur especially at the start of a cruise

I had a similar experience trying to open a cabin door two along from where I should have. I went Guest relations and had the key card changed and came back and opened the "right" cabin. It took me a couple of days to realise that my original issue was trying to open the wrong cabin. We have since got a magnetic picture to put on the outside of our cabin door to "assist me " in future. When one looks at the long corridors of cabins it is understandable how such mistakes can occur especially at the start of a cruise

Yep :o My husband did something similar - Sticking the card in wondering why the door wouldn't open. Apart from first digit..... right cabin number ...... wrong deck!

Edited by Embrace

This is my own neurosis speaking, but if I have electronics that won't fit in the safe, I will lock them in a piece of luggage and lasso it to a piece of furniture with one of those security cables. Yes I know this is still fallible. But I work on my novels on board, and with the spotty Internet (and lack of cloud backup), if anything happened to my laptop I'd be devastated. In other words less the financial significance than emotional.

Rx drugs and passport go in the safe.

Never had any security issues using the safe. We always store our passport receipts (the ship keeps our passports with them); wallets and phones in the safe when we're not using them.

Being a banker, I use my credit cards for nearly all transactions so I never carry more than 300-500 USD and EUR. So the risk is very limited. However I've never thought twice about the security of the safe.

Also at most times, we've seen the stateroom attendant always leave the cabin door slightly open when cleaning. So I'm pretty sure that they would never think of taking anything. We only have the nicest things to say about the stateroom attendants.

The OP must be caring a lot of cash to worry this much.

Heck, on a ship, I even leave my IPad, iPhone and cameras out in the open. However I do lock up wallet, and wife's jewelry(insured) and have maybe $3-400 in cash and never worry, except for forgetting code LOL

Edited by north29

The safe in your cabin is extremely secure. Don't worry!

I experence thief would only take seconds to get in those safes. Not sure if they would want to not knowing what the reward would be. Plus the cameras in the hallways and key codes. But getting in to those safes would not be a problem.

The post by lovescarborough reminds me of a non-cruise incident in my life.

My company transferred me to a new location around holiday time. My company had their holiday party at one of those big event places. I walked into the lobby and saw three doors. A big party was going on in one room so I went in, ate, drank and had a good time. When people asked who I was, I introduced myself as having just transferred in. After a while, the "bosses" got up to start speaking. It only took a few sentences to realize I was , not only at the wrong party, but it was the party of our main competitor. I immediately excused myself for a "bathroom break" and went to the lobby and found another party under way where I saw a familiar face or two. I excused myself for being late as I had a long drive. I never told anyone at work about this incident.:o