A New Pinnacle Grill Menu

rkacruiser

In a prior thread, a new PG menu was posted that included the huge President's Cut steak. I was pleased to see that Lobster was back on the menu. But, at an addtional charge. And, the size of the Tail is 12 oz.

I wonder if the larger size of the Tail might make for Lobster meat that is less tender than a smaller Tail.

Also, I wonder from where the Lobsters are being sourced.

I wonder if this new PG menu is now fleetwide. Since I will be on the Prinsendam within a few days, I will find out for myself if she offers this new menu.

In a prior thread, a new PG menu was posted that included the huge President's Cut steak. I was pleased to see that Lobster was back on the menu. But, at an addtional charge. And, the size of the Tail is 12 oz.

I wonder if the larger size of the Tail might make for Lobster meat that is less tender than a smaller Tail.

I wonder if this new PG menu is now fleetwide. Since I will be on the Prinsendam within a few days, I will find out for myself if she offers this new menu.

A 12 ounce lobster tail shouldn't be any less tender. It equates to a 2.5 - 3 lb lobster, which I can tell you as a former Mainer, is a very respectable size. :D

See this reference from Cape Porpoise Lobster Company in Kennebunkport, Maine.

http://www.capeporpoiselobster.com/product-p/fmlt.htm

Edited by POA1

The question to ask is not the size but where the lobster is coming from.

If it is Florida lobster or other soft shelled lobster it will not taste the same as Atlantic lobster (Maine, Canada, etc.). If it is truly Maritime/Atlantic lobster then if it is cooked properly it should be a non issue.

If it is soft shelled lobster, then I don't know if I would bother paying the surcharge. It's available in the MDR at some stage normally.

Now the caviar is a different story ;)

If it is Florida lobster or other soft shelled lobster it will not taste the same as Atlantic lobster (Maine, Canada, etc.). If it is truly Maritime/Atlantic lobster then if it is cooked properly it should be a non issue.

If it is soft shelled lobster, then I don't know if I would bother paying the surcharge. It's available in the MDR at some stage normally.

The menu says Maine lobster.

All 3 of our cruises in 2014 had cold water, a.k.a. "Maine" lobster in the MDR. I probably don't have to tell you, but the lobster you have and the lobster we had in Maine (Homarus Americanus) can be soft shell when it's molting.

HAL used to have the warm water lobster (the spiny, claw less kind) but we were pleasantly surprised to see cold water lobster in 2014. Sure, it was previously frozen, but it was the good stuff. :)

I know that it's hard for you to get excited about frozen lobster tail, but now that we're Floridians, any Maine Lobster is good. If a 12 ounce, cold water tail is only $20, we'll be happily adding it to our Pinnacle dinners.

Edited by POA1

When we got back from Eurodam cruises in October, I mentioned that HAL was considering 3 choices of lobster.

But no price for an up charge was mentioned.

We can get 12 ounce COLD water tails where we live. How tender are they?? Well it all depends on the chef. Ours at home are delicious.

How will they be on the ship -- totally unpredictable.

When we were able to order the King Crab Legs and the Caviar -- no 50% discount on those extra charges.

Here is the link for the new menu - looks like the only upcharges are for the lobster tails (5 and 12 oz) and the President's Cut steak and crab legs are back as a standard item. Did not see caviar....

hollandamerica.com/assets/cruise-vacation-onboard/menu_pinnacle_grill_dinner

Edited by take us away

Here is the link for the new menu - looks like the only upcharges are for the lobster tails (5 and 12 oz) and the President's Cut steak and crab legs are back as a standard item. Did not see caviar....

The caviar is listed on the new menu.

We have had it 3 or 4 times now. But we know to ask if it is the Ossetra Malossol caviar. One time they tried to pass off a red caviar -- not the same.

Here is the link for the new menu ... Did not see caviar....

The caviar (Ossetra Malossol Caviar) is listed on the first page between "Dungeness Crab Cakes" and "Steak Tartare" ...

Just off the NA this morning and the two different sized lobster tails, crab legs and caviar were available in the PG. Lots of people were ordering them the evening that we dined.

There is also an updated lunch menu with changes. One noted change is that the PG burger no longer mentions made from Waygu Beef.

• 2 weeks later...
So for a 4 star mariner do they get 50% off the 20 dollar surcharge?

Edited: Of course they do...duh

We just got of the Westerdam. We ordered both large and small lobsters. Both were outstanding.

We are 4* and we did not get a discount on the lobster add-on.