Royal Suite - Captains table invite...?

BTwurddle

We will be guests in the RS on a 7 night sailing aboard a vision class ship and I was wondering if anyone knows how invitations to the "captains" table on formal nights are determined? Im aware in most cases the captain doesnt actually use the dining room on these nights any longer and the table is usually hosted by a senior officer but it would be a real treat, especially for my better half to snag one of those coveted invitations. Does the concierge have any pull? Just curious. Happy cruising everyone!

I thought that Pinnacles with the most points were some of the people chosen. At least, that has been my experience. (I am not a Pinnacle, but I have observed this on many of my cruises).

Bob is right though. Sometimes there is no reason for someone being chosen.

We will be guests in the RS on a 7 night sailing aboard a vision class ship and I was wondering if anyone knows how invitations to the "captains" table on formal nights are determined? Im aware in most cases the captain doesnt actually use the dining room on these nights any longer and the table is usually hosted by a senior officer but it would be a real treat, especially for my better half to snag one of those coveted invitations. Does the concierge have any pull? Just curious. Happy cruising everyone!

Our experience on the ships that we have cruised on is that the Captain will host at least one if not both tables on Formal Nights in the MDR. He might do second seating seating on the first formal night (since that is usually the Captain's Reception) and first seating on the second formal night.

The Staff Captain, Hotel Director and Guest Services Manager have also hosted tables on Formal Nights.

I thought that Pinnacles with the most points were some of the people chosen. At least, that has been my experience. (I am not a Pinnacle, but I have observed this on many of my cruises).

Bob is right though. Sometimes there is no reason for someone being chosen.

PC Members are invited no matter their point level, but it does vary by ship and Captain. Being invited to the Captain's Table does not necessarily always happen on a Formal Night. It could be any night during the cruise.

Edited by cruisenfever

We were invited on our 1st cruise in a GS last year. We meet a very nice couple on this years cruise and they were in a RS and had us stop there for a drink and gave us a tour and they were invited to Captains table. I would think you have a good chance to be invited. I5t was a great meal with excellent wine.

If I wanted to have dinner with a Scandanavian / Norwegian sea captain, I'm sure I could find a cafe in some baltic port and have a meal with a "captain" there. Albeit a trawler, the conversation would be as stimulating and enlightening.[emoji33]

By guest in the RS do you mean you haven't paid for it? Neat.

I have had the opportunity to dine with the Captain on several different ships and have really enjoyed the experience. I did ask on the Adventure a few years ago how the guests are chosen to sit at the table ( we got to know the Captain and spent a bit of time with him throughout the cruise) the answer was that he was presented with a list of suite guests, and those with high C&A points - he made his choice from that list and also from the recommendation of the Concierge. We had a good chuckle when he said he saw our last name and knew we were from the same country as he was, so that made his choice easy! :p

I think they try to match the personality of those invited with the Captain (or whoever you might dine with)...so it pays to be friendly and somewhat chatty! i doubt they want "Silent Sams" or "Gloomy Gus'" at the table....or those who can't use proper English, etc....

Edited by cb at sea

If I wanted to have dinner with a Scandanavian / Norwegian sea captain, I'm sure I could find a cafe in some baltic port and have a meal with a "captain" there. [emoji33]

I can fix you a Norwegian captain if you really want that.. most likely a Baltic (Latvian, Lithuanian, Estonian) captain as well. Let me know:=)

We were invited to the Captain's table, along with our table mates. We were all 1st time RCCL cruisers. On this cruise it was just luck of the draw. None of us were in suites.

Edited by curcurt

....or those who can't use proper English, etc....

Most of the Captain's do not use proper English as it is not their first language. I don't think they would eliminate someone from the table for not using proper English :cool:

On our first Freedom sailing which was our second RCI cruise, we met a family from Pittsburgh as our dinner table mates that spoke Greek.

The captain was Greek.

At the suite cocktail event our table mate asked if we could all sit at the captains table in Greek of course. The captain was impressed that he spoke Greek.

The captain agreed.

So our family of three and their family of 5 sat at the captains table the next night.

Oh it was great had our pictures taken and all around wondered how we got to sit there.

To bad it was only us..............

No captain.

No officers.

We got what we asked for.

Safe travels.

I can fix you a Norwegian captain if you really want that.. most likely a Baltic (Latvian, Lithuanian, Estonian) captain as well. Let me know:=)

I'll brush up on my nordic languages wouldnt want to make a faux pas whilst greeting the captain. How does one say "Hello sailor."[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I'll brush up on my nordic languages wouldnt want to make a faux pas whilst greeting the captain. How does one say "Hello sailor."[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

"Hello sailor!" would be "Hei sjømann!" or more correct "God dag sjømann!" (on daytime), "God ettermiddag sjømann!", (afternoon), "God kveld sjømann! (during evening).

Most Scandinavians are very unformal, and unless it is the King/Queen or a Minister or equal, it is not the norm to use title. If he/she present him/herself as Captain XXX, then of course you respond with title unless he/she ask you not to.

And since proper English is required by some here at CC, I guess I will be disqualified.. :)