OBC from a travel agent

Leesie6351

Can anyone tell me if OBC given to you by a travel agent is refundable if it is not used? Will it be refunded to the credit card on file.?

OBC from your TA is refundable but, only if it comes 100% from the TA. Oftentimes the TA provided OBC is part of a promotion between the cruiseline and the TA and in that case is not refundable.

As to the refund of the money if it is refundable, not totally sure but, believe you get cash on board and don't think it will go back to your credit card. Others please chime in if I am incorrect.

If your OBC is totally from your TA . The balance will go back to the credit card used to pay for it . That means the TA will get the balance back.

At least in the states it is not the case -- with my TA if the OBC is directly from him and not as an Oceania Promotion -- the OBC is paid in cash when you close your account.

At least in the states it is not the case -- with my TA if the OBC is directly from him and not as an Oceania Promotion -- the OBC is paid in cash when you close your account.

That was our experience. Had REFUNDABLE OBC from TA and was given to us in cash the day before we disembarked!

On our recent cruise we had a couple of visas refunded and we didn't need the onboard from TA in the end. We were told we had to request cash 48 hours before end of cruise. That's what we did.

That's odd, we got it back without a request.

Rick

Same here. Closed out my account without a 48 hour notice.

One thing I didn't like...if they owe you any cents...they don't pay it. I was owed some dollars and 37 cents....the fellow said that they don't deal in coins...so O kept my 37 cents. I was willing to give him 63 cents to bring it up to the next dollar...no deal. They don't deal in coins.

Somehow this just doesn't sound legal to me. I should have asked....if I'm owed $87.68....do I get $88?? I always deal in cash accounts...due to my Canadian credit card and the processing fees of any foreign currency.

Can anyone tell me if OBC given to you by a travel agent is refundable if it is not used? Will it be refunded to the credit card on file.?
When you arrive in your stateroom, there will be cards showing what amounts you have in OBC and whether it's refundable or not. Any OBC that is 100% from your TA will be fully refundable. Oceania applies any non-refundable OBC against your onboard charges first, thereby preserving any refundable OBC for a potential refund. Towards the end of the cruise, you'll receive a notice from the purser showing how much refundable OBC you have left. You'll be advised that whatever amount remains on your account will be refunded in cash on the final day, since Oceania is not able to process refundable OBC back to your credit card.

When you arrive in your stateroom, there will be cards showing what amounts you have in OBC and whether it's refundable or not. Any OBC that is 100% from your TA will be fully refundable. Oceania applies any non-refundable OBC against your onboard charges first, thereby preserving any refundable OBC for a potential refund. Towards the end of the cruise, you'll receive a notice from the purser showing how much refundable OBC you have left. You'll be advised that whatever amount remains on your account will be refunded in cash on the final day, since Oceania is not able to process refundable OBC back to your credit card.

All true, but none of it applies if the amount of your (combined) refundable Credits are more than a few hundred dollars. Then, it will be a refund check mailed home, or a credit to your card.

Globe trotting Oceania ships must be cognizant of Currency Control Regulations in dozens of ports each year, therefore they deliberately don't carry large amounts of money.

All true, but none of it applies if the amount of your (combined) refundable Credits are more than a few hundred dollars. Then, it will be a refund check mailed home, or a credit to your card.

Globe trotting Oceania ships must be cognizant of Currency Control Regulations in dozens of ports each year, therefore they deliberately don't carry large amounts of money.

I received over $1300 in cash as rebate for some cancelled tours and some other items.

Edited by Paulchili

The cash refund that we had to request was about $800 I think. Daughter looked after it, gave it to me and then reconciled our accounts such that I owed all back to her. Funny how that works. Isn't it? [emoji8]

Edited by potterhill

We had $1200 in refundable OBC at the end of our Insignia cruise a couple of weeks ago. We weren't keen to get 12 x $100 in cash but Oceania insisted they could not refund it back to our credit card. Our only option was to receive it in cash.

We had pre paid cooking classes we had to cancel onboard ..refund when checking out was in cash

Once on the ship they give you cash refund I was told

If you cancel before boarding it will go to your CC

The refund policy may have changed or the policy is inconsistent among the various ships. We are on Regatta, getting off tomorrow. We were informed two days ago that we have a balance on our shipboard account. I showed the reception desk the various stateroom cards we found on the desk detailing what amenities we had on board. Two cards detailed ship credit from O and one card detailed credit we had from our travel agency. We were told none of it was refundable so we picked up some Christmas gifts in the boutiques.

I would have preferred the cash.

The refund policy may have changed or the policy is inconsistent among the various ships. We are on Regatta, getting off tomorrow. We were informed two days ago that we have a balance on our shipboard account. I showed the reception desk the various stateroom cards we found on the desk detailing what amenities we had on board. Two cards detailed ship credit from O and one card detailed credit we had from our travel agency. We were told none of it was refundable so we picked up some Christmas gifts in the boutiques.

I would have preferred the cash.

once again

It depends on where the OBC comes from

Not all OBC from TA's come from their own pocket but actually from the cruise line so considered a NON REFUNDABLE OBC

On my invoice under the obc I have one listed from the TA next to it is says NON REFUNDABLE

For the cooking class which I had booked & pre paid with my money before the cruise subsequently we had to cancel, we got cash back on the day we left the ship

If you are unsure of the status of your OBC you should ask your TA