Flights to River Cruise

mmsoko

Any hints on the best time economically to book flights to Europe from US?

Cruise company's pricing seems to be better than booking on our own, even with their custom air.

Won't be flying until Sept of 2016. Should we book sooner than later?

I book on the first day flights are open (about 330 days prior) because we upgrade to Economy Plus and with so few seats (and SeatGuru showing problems with some) we want first pick. But a recent article in the Wall Street Journal indicated that flights from US to Europe are statistically cheaper 176 days out, and that Sunday is the best day to book. Of course [pun intended!]: YMMV

Any hints on the best time economically to book flights to Europe from US?

Cruise company's pricing seems to be better than booking on our own, even with their custom air.

Won't be flying until Sept of 2016. Should we book sooner than later?

We are traveling then also and business fares are a bit high. I have to do a multi city so maybe that is why? Points are ridiculous also Waiting til Jan/Feb to look again.

I'm inclined to purchase soon and be done with worrying about it.

Am looking at premium economy, will just need to make one stop.

Am so looking forward to our first River cruise. Will be on AMA Serena in September. I check these boards often for hints, etc. and appreciated any and all.

I'm flying Toronto to Budapest, Bucharest to Toronto late September 2016, and bought the tickets a month ago. $870 w/ Lufthansa.

I figure it can't go much lower, so go ahead and get them. The only downside is that when I looked into upgrading to Economy Plus for the long leg, Toronto to Frankfurt, I found that I couldn't, since it was an Air Canada flight and we had purchased through Cheapoair. They did move us up about 20 rows from the last row where the computer had slotted us.

Good luck.

I'm inclined to purchase soon and be done with worrying about it.

Am looking at premium economy, will just need to make one stop.

Am so looking forward to our first River cruise. Will be on AMA Serena in September. I check these boards often for hints, etc. and appreciated any and all.

We will be on Amadagio, one more time. We had nothing but positives on our first AMA cruise. You'll enjoy!

We purchased our flights for our Sept. 2016 cruise about a month ago. Since then, the price has gone up a bit.

One thing to consider when looking at air fares, if you've got multiple legs, is to search the leg prices individually, versus as one unit. For instance, we're flying out of Richmond, VA to Philadelphia onto Amsterdam. For us, it was important that the international leg, PHL to AMS be business class, with the RIC to PHL leg in economy because its such a short flight. In searching on Matrix.IATAsoftware.com, as a singular round trip unit, I was being quoted about $4800 per person. When I searched the exact flights quoted at $4800, but priced each leg separately, our roundtrip ticket dropped in price to about $2400...we saved 50%. However, we are well aware that should there be a problem and we have to cancel or revise our itinerary, each leg we have to change will be subject to change fees, etc. But for a 50% saving, we're willing to take that risk. That website searches all the current available flights and is quite useful. We had our travel agent actually book the tickets and the following day, I saw the price had increased by $600 per person.

In addition to recommending booking probably sooner, rather than later, I strongly encourage creative fare/itinerary searching. Also, for whatever reason, flying out of PHL to Europe, seems to be a better choice in terms of pricing. I compared it to all the DC area and NY area flights and PHL was the best.

Edited by CarlyDawwg's Ma

I've been watching prices for a couple of months now, in preparation for when tickets open for sale for our Christmas 2016 cruise. Although the cruise is from Vienna to Nuremberg, I've been watching prices for MIA-VIE-MIA; MIA-VIE-NUE-MIA; MIA-VIE-MUC-MIA; MIA-BUD-MUC-MIA; AND MIA-BUD-MIA. So far, flying RT to BUD (in Business Class) saves us a bundle, even adding on two one-way flights from Munich to Budapest at the end of the trip. (It's about half the cost of flying to/from Vienna, even though we'd fly via Vienna!) It is worth looking at alternate cities, especially if you have time for some pre- and post-cruise travel.

Assuming the pricing stays like this, I'll be booking as soon as flights open up.

We purchased our flights for our Sept. 2016 cruise about a month ago. Since then' date=' the price has gone up a bit.

One thing to consider when looking at air fares, if you've got multiple legs, is to search the leg prices individually, versus as one unit. For instance, we're flying out of Richmond, VA to Philadelphia onto Amsterdam. For us, it was important that the international leg, PHL to AMS be business class, with the RIC to PHL leg in economy because its such a short flight. In searching on Matrix.IATAsoftware.com, as a singular round trip unit, I was being quoted about $4800 per person. When I searched the exact flights quoted at $4800, but priced each leg separately, our roundtrip ticket dropped in price to about $2400...we saved 50%. [b']However, we are well aware that should there be a problem and we have to cancel or revise our itinerary, each leg we have to change will be subject to change fees, etc. [/b] But for a 50% saving, we're willing to take that risk. That website searches all the current available flights and is quite useful. We had our travel agent actually book the tickets and the following day, I saw the price had increased by $600 per person.

In addition to recommending booking probably sooner, rather than later, I strongly encourage creative fare/itinerary searching. Also, for whatever reason, flying out of PHL to Europe, seems to be a better choice in terms of pricing. I compared it to all the DC area and NY area flights and PHL was the best.

I'm not sure if we just got lucky, but I wanted to fly over in Business class and return in Economy and the computers wouldn't let me do that as a round trip. So I called the airline directly and someone was able to book it for me -- at a lower price than I expected based on the website's "upgrade for only $x a leg" teaser. They charged a penalty for the privilege of speaking to a person, but when I protested that the website couldn't handle the request they refunded the penalty. So I ended up with exactly what I wanted, at a better price than I expected -- and it is booked by the airline as a round trip.

You may wish to consider "booking" via the cruiseline if yours was like ours. We were offered a buy one get one half off fare when we booked the cruise. Since it was cancelable at no charge until it had been ticketed (which the cruise line said wouldn't happened any sooner than 120 days prior to our cruise), we booked it. This allowed us to have a fare we were willing to pay locked in while I worked our award points for the biz cabins we really wanted. Once we were inside the award booking window and I had secured our flights, I canceled the cruise air.

I'm not sure if we just got lucky, but I wanted to fly over in Business class and return in Economy and the computers wouldn't let me do that as a round trip. So I called the airline directly and someone was able to book it for me -- at a lower price than I expected based on the website's "upgrade for only $x a leg" teaser. They charged a penalty for the privilege of speaking to a person, but when I protested that the website couldn't handle the request they refunded the penalty. So I ended up with exactly what I wanted, at a better price than I expected -- and it is booked by the airline as a round trip.

You were fortunate! I had to rearrange last minute flights over the phone last March due to a death in the family, and my aggravation level was sky high in dealing with the airline, so I didn't even want to try to contact them directly (I had my TA handle the transaction). Oddly enough though, my entire ticket, is under one record number, but my TA warned me there could be charges per leg for a change. I suspect the airlines are probably a little friendlier over the phone than I give them credit.

That's an odd way to fly, Jazz. Business one way; economy in return!?

That's an odd way to fly' date=' Jazz. Business one way; economy in return!?[/quote']

That works for us as well, as we can actually sleep on the way over. On the way home we try and stay awake so we can better adjust when we arrive home. We opt for Premium though and not regular economy as that is just too miserable.

That works for us as well, as we can actually sleep on the way over. On the way home we try and stay awake so we can better adjust when we arrive home. We opt for Premium though and not regular economy as that is just too miserable.

Yes, we upgraded to Comfort+ on the way back. But at that time you had to book Economy first and then upgrade when you chose your seats. This is the first time we're trying this Business/Economy split (first time we're trying Business at all), and I'm hoping it will work as you describe.

Yes, we upgraded to Comfort+ on the way back. But at that time you had to book Economy first and then upgrade when you chose your seats. This is the first time we're trying this Business/Economy split (first time we're trying Business at all), and I'm hoping it will work as you describe.

I have one word of caution Jazz....strictly as your CC friend: once you fly business class you will never be happy in economy again...it's an addiction :D

Even though a lot of people on CC say not to book thru the cruise line, Uniworld got me round trip airfare for $851, whereas it was coming out to around $1,300 booking on my own. The routing they chose wasn't bad at all.

Roz

I have one word of caution Jazz....strictly as your CC friend: once you fly business class you will never be happy in economy again...it's an addiction :D

Second that. Never going back, as long as we have a say!

Edited by jpalbny

Even though a lot of people on CC say not to book thru the cruise line, Uniworld got me round trip airfare for $851, whereas it was coming out to around $1,300 booking on my own. The routing they chose wasn't bad at all.

Roz

I agree Roz...you have to check yourself and I've found that MOST of the time I can't beat the fares Vantage gets... I think part of the problem is that many times the cruise lines/tour companies buy up the cheapest seats, which means very few non-stop flights...and I'm the first one to admit JFK being my home airport is a big advantage.

I know -- it's probably like the mistake we made trying a Princess mini-suite after being happy in Insides! OTOH, DW is only willing to consider it if she can actually get some solid sleep and with her that's a long shot. :)

Roz

The reason people warn you is not that you can't get good prices, but that these tickets are coded in a way that can leave you holding the bag when things go south. I have thankfully never experienced that, but there are plenty of horror stories. As long as the cruise line is willing to let me pick the flights, I get frequent flyer miles for the trip, and I can pick (and upgrade) my seats right away -- I feel safe. But there have been warnings that even with these indicia of normalcy you are still coded as "last on line" for rebooking.

How very true! I used to fly pretty routinely for business and was able to accumulate lots of FF miles back when programs were more generous with rewards. I got to fly around the world for leisure many times in first class and it certainly does spoil you! Nowadays we're resigned to purchasing tickets in business but I do a lot of shopping around beforehand. One note: Not all airlines (and airline seats) are equal. It pays to do research and read the reviews.

As far as purchasing through the cruise line. I had planned to check Uniworld's pricing this time around to see what they could do, but when I called they told me I wouldn't be able to book until January. I saw a great price for one of our preferred airlines for our dates and grabbed the tickets. Bird in the hand ... (and it seemed doubtful they'd be able to beat the price given that they were about half the normal price).

Well, last night I was at a party and thought I was drinking decaf coffee. Not! Sooo, wide awake at 2:30 am decided to once again search Delta flight to try to use my points. I have been looking since October when flights opened for my September 2016 Rivercruise. Out of JFK I was able to get a Z business saver fare but return from Barcelona was ridiculous! Points or $$. Brought it anywhere from 3800 to 5400 pp and up to 295,000 points. Low and behold, I find a Z fare R/T for 2595. I couldn't type fast enough!! After using my points to partially pay, it brought my fare down to 1733 pp! Thank you caffeine!! I was so excited I couldn't get to sleep til 4:30 am! Yes, once you fly business, you can't go back!

Well, last night I was at a party and thought I was drinking decaf coffee. Not! Sooo, wide awake at 2:30 am decided to once again search Delta flight to try to use my points. I have been looking since October when flights opened for my September 2016 Rivercruise. Out of JFK I was able to get a Z business saver fare but return from Barcelona was ridiculous! Points or $$. Brought it anywhere from 3800 to 5400 pp and up to 295,000 points. Low and behold, I find a Z fare R/T for 2595. I couldn't type fast enough!! After using my points to partially pay, it brought my fare down to 1733 pp! Thank you caffeine!! I was so excited I couldn't get to sleep til 4:30 am! Yes, once you fly business, you can't go back!

Congrats! Exactly how I felt when I got our tickets yesterday for $2281 in Z. I ran to get my credit card! :)

How very true! I used to fly pretty routinely for business and was able to accumulate lots of FF miles back when programs were more generous with rewards. I got to fly around the world for leisure many times in first class and it certainly does spoil you! Nowadays we're resigned to purchasing tickets in business but I do a lot of shopping around beforehand. One note: Not all airlines (and airline seats) are equal. It pays to do research and read the reviews.

As far as purchasing through the cruise line. I had planned to check Uniworld's pricing this time around to see what they could do, but when I called they told me I wouldn't be able to book until January. I saw a great price for one of our preferred airlines for our dates and grabbed the tickets. Bird in the hand ... (and it seemed doubtful they'd be able to beat the price given that they were about half the normal price).

Good move....sometimes you have to trust your instinct and take the plunge.

We've become so used to flying business on LH that I don't think I'll ever fly anyone else...except KLM...but I have a question for you: beside a separate lounge (in some airports) what's the difference between first and business? Seriously, not just the price. What do you get in first class that I don't get in business.

Seriously, not just the price. What do you get in first class that I don't get in business.

It is mostly space and service.

The food and wine is usually better as well, but in the end it is still food and wine on a plane so not exactly the best you'll ever eat :)

I'm another one that generates large amounts of airmiles during my business trips so I try to fly my wife in F for our vacations when I can.

It is nice when you can eat together at the same table during a long flight for example and then have your bed made up for you if you feel like sleeping.

Not all F cabins are the same of course and not all F service is as good as it could be, but we've had some wonderful flights in F, but nothing I'd ever pay real $$ for :)