Rome Fiumicino Airport to Civitavecchia

Ironman56

I would post this on the Italy Ports Of Call Board.

But when you do when you say best that means different things to different people.

For me best is to use a company such as Rome Cabs (private car service) at http://www.romecabs.com

For others best is to do it the cheapest way.

So I would be clear on what you mean when you say best.

Keith

But when you do when you say best that means different things to different people.

For me best is to use a company such as Rome Cabs (private car service) at http://www.romecabs.com

For others best is to do it the cheapest way.

So I would be clear on what you mean when you say best.

Keith

Ah yes, the infamous "best"....

We always caught a taxi. Not necessarily the most economical but certainly convenient.

I wouldn't dream of driving in Rome. :eek: Traffic lights are a suggestion. :D

Edited by sail7seas

Here's how to do it by train and yes it is easy:

https://www.rometoolkit.com/airport/fiumicino_civitavechia.htm

Once you are in Civitavechia, I would take a taxi to the port as the entrance has been moved further away and with luggage, it's a longer walk than it once was.

The fastest and most convenient way to get to Civitavechia port is by private transfer which is about 75 minutes.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

Frankly, I think that link is more confusing than helpful.

Train is an option; there is no reason to go to Termini and change there, it's just as fast to use the local train to Trastevere and change there for Civitavecchia. There is no direct train route. Note that you will need to carry your bags down and back up a full flight of stairs at Civitavecchia to get from the track to the station.

There is a fixed fare for a taxi from the airport (FCO) to the cruise port of €120. You can use that for perspective as you investigate private transfer options.

We always caught a taxi. Not necessarily the most economical but certainly convenient.

I wouldn't dream of driving in Rome. :eek: Traffic lights are a suggestion. :D

I'm not at all fond of driving in Italy either, but for the record there is no need to go through Rome -- the OP is going from the airport to Civitavecchia. It's not a terribly difficult drive if one doesn't mind driving.

Frankly, I think that link is more confusing than helpful.

Train is an option; there is no reason to go to Termini and change there, it's just as fast to use the local train to Trastevere and change there for Civitavecchia. There is no direct train route. Note that you will need to carry your bags down and back up a full flight of stairs at Civitavecchia to get from the track to the station.

There is a fixed fare for a taxi from the airport (FCO) to the cruise port of €120. You can use that for perspective as you investigate private transfer options.

I second transferring trains in Trastevere instead of Termini.

It is smaller and easier to navigate.

Lois

It is a very straightforward drive. No need to worry about Rome traffic. You bypass Rome and will be on the highway for most of the trip. The issue will be getting an affordable one way rental. Rentals are mostly standards. IF you need an automatic be sure and specifically order it.

We have done the train a few times. It is no issue IF you do not have much luggage and can physically handle it. We do carry on so it is a snap for us. Train will be about 8,50E each.

Two things to consider about the train. As the OP said, change trains at Trastevere or Ostiense stations (we have done both) in order to avoid the main Rome Termini station.

If you do this you will need to go under a track to cross. There are elevators but in our experience they only seem to be working about 30 percent of the time. Assume that you will be carry your bags down and then up the stairs in order to change tracks.

It is a very straightforward drive. No need to worry about Rome traffic. You bypass Rome and will be on the highway for most of the trip. The issue will be getting an affordable one way rental. Rentals are mostly standards. IF you need an automatic be sure and specifically order it.

We have done the train a few times. It is no issue IF you do not have much luggage and can physically handle it. We do carry on so it is a snap for us. Train will be about 8,50E each. Buy your tickets at the airport and then make certain that you do not get on the Leonardo train that goes to Termini.

Two things to consider about the train. As the OP said, change trains at Trastevere or Ostiense stations (we have done both) in order to avoid the main Rome Termini station.

If you do this you will need to go under a track to cross. There are elevators but in our experience they only seem to be working about 30 percent of the time. Assume that you will be carry your bags down and then up the stairs in order to change tracks.

Thank you all for the replies and the suggestions. They have been a great help.

Sorry for not posting in the right place, I am still getting used to navigating my way around the site.

Having lived in Rome and then cruised into and out of Civitavecchia I'd see if your cruise line offers transfers. Most only charge about $25 and we have never waited long for a bus. If they don't or your window to buy one has past then I'd suck it up and take a taxi. If you are young or travel light, train with a switch at Ostiense. People not used to how rentals work in Italy are often either under insured in an accident or robbed blind by the rental people for too much. If you rent do take a very close walk around the car before driving off and note every ding and tiny scratch. Things are changing in southern Italy but so far this still happens way too often where you get home and find an added charge for a ding that you didn't create.

How does someone spend the airfare to get to Rome and then not spend a few days there pre-cruise?

If this is directed towards me, the answer is simple, "very easily". I will actually be arriving in Rome from Munich on a fare costing a grand total of $114. By that time, I will have been in Europe for about 10 weeks, having travelled substantially.

Also, having spent quite some time in Rome a couple of years ago, I didn't see the need to 'do it again'.

I trust my reasons are to your satisfaction but either way, thanks for your concern.

If this is directed towards me, the answer is simple, "very easily". I will actually be arriving in Rome from Munich on a fare costing a grand total of $114. By that time, I will have been in Europe for about 10 weeks, having travelled substantially.

Also, having spent quite some time in Rome a couple of years ago, I didn't see the need to 'do it again'.

I trust my reasons are to your satisfaction but either way, thanks for your concern.

"Doing it again" wouldn't be the only reason, although Rome is always worth another look. Many of us would always fly in a day or so before sailing from any port - even it it were a short hop.

I'd see if your cruise line offers transfers. Most only charge about $25 and we have never waited long for a bus.

The cruise line transfers now cost (at a minimum) about $79 per person. Not terrible, I guess, for one person (although taking the train costs about $6)! But for two or more, a private transfer isn't much more expensive and is more pleasant.

"Doing it again" wouldn't be the only reason, although Rome is always worth another look. Many of us would always fly in a day or so before sailing from any port - even it it were a short hop.

Yes, we are actually flying in the day before and staying over in Civitavecchia. As the other poster says, more time with the grandchildren as my son and family live in Munich.

Thanks.

The cruise line transfers now cost (at a minimum) about $79 per person. Not terrible, I guess, for one person (although taking the train costs about $6)! But for two or more, a private transfer isn't much more expensive and is more pleasant.

Wow! I had to check the last time we flew in and out of Rome for a cruise and that was in 2006. We flew in for a 14 day round trip through the Black Sea and added 3 days before cruise and 2 after so the Courtyard in Civitavecchia so they had free transfers and only charged $20 Euros to go into town round trip. But in 2004, according to my notes, it was $25 per person when bought with the cruise. It seems austerity has driven prices sky high all over Europe. We did go private in Athens in 2011 because of threatened strikes and many of the taxi drivers were lining up private fares just in case.

We were there in Sept. Google Bobs Limo. You can either do a private limo or a shuttle. We did the shuttle because it was less expensive and they take you in a van with about 6 to 8 people. We went from our Rome hotel to port for around $60 for both of us. You could take the train but I heard you have to haul your luggage a distance and stairs are involved. That doesn't sound fun to me.

When there were four of us we did a transfer service.

The cruise line wanted something like $75 USD each to transfer us. Four of us went for just under 80E (with tip) in a private van.

We had about the same delta when we did our private tour of Ephesus. Private tour with guide, driver, and van for four people was less expensive and far better than going with cruise line 'church picnic' on the bus. And we were not forced to stop at the carpet store, the leather store, or the trash and trinkets boutique.

Edited by iancal