Princess Survey about Formal Nights

ready2cruzagain

Eliminate formal nights on all cruises 7 days or less. Happy medium. Younger crowd who does not want formal night take more 7 day cruises and the longer cruises skew older and the older passengers like formal nights. Yes, this is generalized but demographically I think you'd find it true.

Interesting observation, as two months ago I was emailing a friend regarding the formal night subject, from on board the Caribbean Princess. Here is my quote:

Those who shun the penguin suit nights try to avoid the MDRs in favor of the buffet and other venues. It appears that among those other "venues" the specialty high end restaurants are being targeted. So, Princess has responded by requiring formal dress in their specialty restaurants on formal nights, you have to agree to that or you get no reservation. They are supposed to not sit those who dress inappropriately. Coincidentally, as I was composing this email for you we had a formal night dinner reservation in the Crown Grill. Soon after being seated, there erupted a heated altercation between the maitre d' and a guest, the guest, dressed in a white short sleeve T-shirt with a collar, commonly called a "polo shirt", was getting the heave-hoe, and not liking it at all."

I'd be very surprised at that given the Princess policy. Possibly some maitre'd was putting his butt out a mile, because complaints would be very justified.

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/bring.jsp

Edited by Wehwalt

Let's change the name from formal night to smart casual night. The daily patter could provide a description of what qualifies as smart casual.

Ummmm, isn't "smart casual" what the other nights are already supposed to be???

Formal night optional to me means no formal night...Like Jeff said....I don't want to be the only Penguin in the zoo. Cruising is NOT a land based vacation and there are plenty of "casual" cruise lines. Let Princess be Princess. I do kind of like the "less than 7 day cruise" comment....

I hope I get the survey as I would vote for formal nights. I know that in reality most of us are not dressing formal in the true sense of the word but we are dressing up. I don't get a chance to do that at home. I would feel ridiculous being dressed up while most people are dressed down. One thing I like about Princess is that on the cruises I have been on most people seem to be dressed up and stay that way for the evening.

It is possible that all the people who are saying to get rid of it is because they don't want to dress up (and don't) and then feel out of place themselves!

Edited by dickinson

I'd be very surprised at that given the Princess policy. Possibly some maitre'd was putting his butt out a mile, because complaints would be very justified.

No, that can't be the explanation, there has to be more to it than that, can't lay it on some misinformed waiter. Again, we were on the Caribbean Princess from October 21st until November 4th. There were three formal nights, as is our custom we make reservations in the specialty restaurants for all formal nights, plus on that cruise we ate there at least three other nights as well, both in Sabatini's and the Crown Grill. What I noticed soon after boarding was when I called on the ship's phone to make reservations they were emphatic that on the formal nights we had to be dressed accordingly or they could not take our reservations, we had that conversation with the ship's general reservation services more than once. Which, by the way, I was very happy hearing.

Now, in fairness, just a few weeks prior to that cruise we were on the Regal Princess for over three weeks. I believe there were four formal nights then. I didn't recall any problems with dress issues in the Sabatini's or the Crown Grill on that voyage, however, I'm almost certain when I made reservations for formal nights in those two venues there wasn't any reminder by the agent as to formal night dress requirements and if we could not agree they couldn't take our reservations.

In addition, on the Caribbean, we ate at the "Chef's Table" one evening, not on a formal night though. However, regardless of the general dress on the ship for that evening, if you did not agree to formal garb you were not invited to the Table.

Edited by kennicott

We haven't gotten the survey, but I'd vote for keeping formal nights. I would also vote to keep 2 formal nights for a 7 day cruise. There are too many people looking for excuses not to pack formal wear, if there was only one per 7 night cruise they surely wouldn't bother to ever bring formal wear! We always pack formal wear - the cost for checked baggage is just part of the package!!! I, too, feel the Maitre D's should enforce the dress code in the MDR - every night! Celebrity calls their non-formal nights Smart Casual.

Last month on the Ruby, the CD Frank said on the Wake Show that formal night began around 5 pm and extended across the ship. I thought maybe I was hearing things, so I watched the next go-round of the show, and yes, he did say that formal night was in effect all over the ship. Not that it made a bit of difference. There were the usual suspects dressed in their whatevers in the dining room and elsewhere all over the ship. I don't know where this Frank guy got his information.

We have not received the survey and while the elimination of formal nights would save some packing issues, we are solidly in favour of formal nights. They are a very important part of our cruise vacation and would hate to see them eliminated.

I received the survey this morning and selected the strongest "KEEP FORMAL NIGHT" option for each question. Why? If you don't like formal night there a lot of options for you. If you want a formal night, you are limited...unless you don't mind having pizza while sitting next to a guy wearing a tank top...the same tank top he wore to breakfast...yesterday:)

I also voted in favor of keeping formal nights. I do not participate in them but I do feel they are a part of cruising. As you said, there are a lot of options for us. The only thing I have a problem with is some people feel that you should dress nice to enjoy the shows on formal nights. :eek: I strongly disagree.

Interesting observation, as two months ago I was emailing a friend regarding the formal night subject, from on board the Caribbean Princess. Here is my quote:

Those who shun the penguin suit nights try to avoid the MDRs in favor of the buffet and other venues. It appears that among those other "venues" the specialty high end restaurants are being targeted. So, Princess has responded by requiring formal dress in their specialty restaurants on formal nights, you have to agree to that or you get no reservation. They are supposed to not sit those who dress inappropriately. Coincidentally, as I was composing this email for you we had a formal night dinner reservation in the Crown Grill. Soon after being seated, there erupted a heated altercation between the maitre d' and a guest, the guest, dressed in a white short sleeve T-shirt with a collar, commonly called a "polo shirt", was getting the heave-hoe, and not liking it at all."

We were on the Royal Princess for 20 days in October and that certainly wasn't the case. We went to Sabatinis and Crown Grill each twice on formal nights. The only people we saw turned away (and rightfully so) were 2 gentlemen in shorts at the Crown Grill on one of the formal nights. While we were nicely dressed (short sleeved sweater and long skirt for me; short sleeve Hawaiian shirt (a very tasteful one in fact one of the waiters commented on it) and dress slacks for DH) it certainly wasn't formal wear and if a maitre d' had given us a hard time I would have been back to my cabin to get my i-pad and then back to the restaurant to show him the dress code for specialty restaurants on the Princess website.

Edited by capriccio

We have not received the survey and while the elimination of formal nights would save some packing issues, we are solidly in favour of formal nights. They are a very important part of our cruise vacation and would hate to see them eliminated.

Agreed,:D

we are still taking our Tux and gowns for the NYE cruise on X despite it having moved to Evening Chic.

In my own opinion.... This often reoccurring subject is all about a matter of having some "class". I have ALWAYS worn a nice suit or tux on formal nights because being on a cruise ship is a classy vacation, not a camping trip. It's only one or two nights and I don't think ANYONE should feel offended for being offered and having the opportunity to "dress to the nines" one or two nights. Formal Night has always been a cruise ship "event". No one is forced to dress up, so if you don't like it, fine. You should always dress like you have some class in the MDR all the time. Take your T-shirts, tank tops, shorts, blue jeans and baseball caps to the smorgasbord topside. (Ps. I have the $200 blue jeans too and they aren't appropriate in the MDR!)

I vote for Formal Nights and keeping the MDR a step or two above the hamburger stand or the Waffle House!! Just sayin'

Have never understood why some folks never wish to dress up a little.I love formal nights because I love clothes and dressing up.It does not cost a fortune .A light weight black skirt with a few assorted evening tops will only add a few pounds to the luggage weight.I love my jeans I own at least 6 pairs,but not for formal nights or very warm days on a cruise,like wearing them otherwise they are very figure flattering.Personally I feel that is why jeans are so popular.... :) No Princess has not sent me a survey.

Edited by kruisey

Have never understood why some folks never wish to dress up a little.I love formal nights because I love clothes and dressing up.It does not cost a fortune .A light weight black skirt with a few assorted evening tops will only add a few pounds to the luggage weight.I love my jeans I own at least 6 pairs,but not for formal nights or very warm days on a cruise,like wearing them otherwise they are very figure flattering.Personally I feel that is why jeans are so popular.... :) No Princess has not sent me a survey.

On the flip side, I get to dress up all the time and I always dress for dinner, just not formal. So while I know I can wear pretty much anything in my closet on formal night men are a different story.

Cruise lines are trying to attract a whole different set of clients. So many more people do land trips, all inclusives, resorts, etc. than cruising and all cruise lines need to modernize themselves to compete. Can you imagine requiring a tux or suit at an all inclusive? It's laughable. Cruise lines need to modernize if they want to stay in business. They can do every survey in the world but if they think it's prohibiting growth, they're gone.

I have not received the survey myself, but hope to.

One of the reasons that I found myself drawn to cruising is the tradition of formal nights. I look forward to dressing up for my DH and he for me. We don't go places that ever need more than jeans or khaki's. We both despise having our pictures taken. But something is different on a cruise!

We have sailed on Princess twice with a third one scheduled next December. We are also scheduled to try Carnival in August. From reading the Carnival boards, I doubt that I will dress up as much as I do for Princess for Carnival's Elegant nights. That's kind of sad. Pictures just don't have as much appeal when you are dressed in polo shirts. :eek:

As long as I am able to fly with SW and my bags fly free, I think **we**will continue to dress up. FYI, we change back into every day clothes after dinner. Way too much walking for me to try and do heels all night!

On the flip side, I get to dress up all the time and I always dress for dinner, just not formal. So while I know I can wear pretty much anything in my closet on formal night men are a different story.

Cruise lines are trying to attract a whole different set of clients. So many more people do land trips, all inclusives, resorts, etc. than cruising and all cruise lines need to modernize themselves to compete. Can you imagine requiring a tux or suit at an all inclusive? It's laughable. Cruise lines need to modernize if they want to stay in business. They can do every survey in the world but if they think it's prohibiting growth, they're gone.

For the cruise we are doing together, I was going to be bringing my Tux, now I am not so sure.

I haven't asked B to be honest, but my bet is he'll only be packing a jacket now X has gone "chic"

I normally pack the tux and travel with a sports jacket, I suppose it will be just the jacket as well. Apart from the B2B cruises, we are also touring and such, so it will make it a bit easier travelling around.:D

Just as an aside, the survey was addressed for me rather than my wife, so it seems they may have wanted a males perspective.

Not sure why, as I take my dress directions from my wife.:p

As all sensible men do.

Though it's well known that I wear whatever my daughter tells me to.

I voted the same way as you did. In the comments I stated that formal nights are a part of cruising and if someone doesn't want to dress up then there are plenty of options available to them. I love formal nights and will be very disappointed if they change them.

Agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were on the Royal Princess for 20 days in October and that certainly wasn't the case. We went to Sabatinis and Crown Grill each twice on formal nights. The only people we saw turned away (and rightfully so) were 2 gentlemen in shorts at the Crown Grill on one of the formal nights. While we were nicely dressed (short sleeved sweater and long skirt for me; short sleeve Hawaiian shirt (a very tasteful one in fact one of the waiters commented on it) and dress slacks for DH) it certainly wasn't formal wear and if a maitre d' had given us a hard time I would have been back to my cabin to get my i-pad and then back to the restaurant to show him the dress code for specialty restaurants on the Princess website.

I asked the head waiter in Sabatini's on the Royal about dressing formally & he said that smart casual should be sufficient although shorts wouldn't be permitted. The head waiter on the CB must be trying to change the rule on his own & Princess is going to get lots of negative feedback from passengers since he seems to be the only one pushing the formal clothing.

In the aftermath of Celebrity's no formal night announcement, one guy in response said: "I certainly won't miss "Formal" nights or the judgemental posts on the boards. Does the way the guy next to you is dressed really affect your ability to enjoy your cruise? Sit back, pour the wine, raise a glass to the good ol' days and enjoy the dinner you didn't have to cook."

A lady responded: "I also don't have to cook at McDonalds - doesn't mean I want to eat there. And NO - I don't want to wear a formal evening gown at the same table while you are in jeans. What a joke that makes for all."

That exchange reminded me of the time we were on HAL in traditional seating. For some reason they put us with two other couples who had full "Neptune Suites", we had the simple equivalent of a mini-suite. We got along okay and dressed well on formal nights, I was the only one with a tux though. Half way through the voyage they saddled us with another couple, who had one of the big Pinnacle, 1500 sq foot, suites. The first formal night he came dressed with a cheap wrinkled Hawaiian shirt and reeking of sweat.