P&O - Carnival, sharing personal details with Princess

6666oz

Just received the latest 3 for Free booklet from Princess, seems P&O / Carnival are sharing their passengers personal details with Princess, not sure were I agreed to that ??, on the address label was printed both mine and the missus past P&O passenger numbers , on page 3 of the booklet is an explanation of how past P&O passengers can supposedly take advantage of the Princess loyalty scheme.

As P&O is a member of the Carnival Corporation family, this is commonly done. Is it required to notify you of this in Australia?

Probably only your birthday is truly personal, private info. A past passenger number is exclusive to the Carnival Corporation.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Just received the latest 3 for Free booklet from Princess, seems P&O / Carnival are sharing their passengers personal details with Princess, not sure were I agreed to that ??, on the address label was printed both mine and the missus past P&O passenger numbers , on page 3 of the booklet is an explanation of how past P&O passengers can supposedly take advantage of the Princess loyalty scheme.

Pretty sure you did agree, they're both owned by Carnival Corp and a pretty common term is that you agree to sharing info with other companies under the umbrella.

As P&O do not have a loyalty scheme as such, the numbers are the same as Princess' that said, as all those lines are owned by Carnival Corp, your info will be spread around to all of their mailing lists.as part of the T&C when first signing up.

So my new P&O cruise will be added to my Princess account?

I recently did 3 Carnival cruises but they have their own system.

The travel agent mentioned putting them on my Princess card but then I won't have them for Carnival? Confusing.

The travel agent mentioned putting them on my Princess card but then I won't have them for Carnival? Confusing.

Probably not. The benefits/status are not really interchangeable among the Carnival family members. But they can and do swap info so they can send you advertising.

This is discussed regularly on the boards of the family members.

If you have them added to your princess personaliser, and you can do it yourself at the Princess site and they count on Carnival still (do they have a loyalty scheme).

As far as i am aware Carnival stands on their own, however your P&O cruises will go toward your Princess loyalty points so join the Princess Captains Circle. IMHO Princess have the best loyalty program of any that i have used :)

It is actually a little more complicated than all of that. Until 2003 P&O, Princess and P&O Australia were run out of Southampton but Princess is now run out of CA, USA. The P&O brands, Cunard and Ocean have since been run out of Southampton along with UK (and probably some other areas) marketing and sales of Princess cruises.

I was very surprised when I opened up my Princess Personaliser recently and in the loyalty section all my upcoming P&O Australia cruises are listed as future cruises will be going towards my loyalty points. It was done automatically, I never told Princess about them. Very nice, now if they could just add my HAL Mariner points I will be Elite before you know it :D

As P&O is a member of the Carnival Corporation family, this is commonly done. Is it required to notify you of this in Australia?

Probably only your birthday is truly personal, private info. A past passenger number is exclusive to the Carnival Corporation.

I recently received birthday greetings from Costa, which I have never cruised with and am never likely to cruise with. P&O/Princess must have shared that personal information.

your TA has given you the wrong information because as mentioned your Carnival cruises cannot go on your Princess history

I was very surprised when I opened up my Princess Personaliser recently and in the loyalty section all my upcoming P&O Australia cruises are listed as future cruises will be going towards my loyalty points. It was done automatically, I never told Princess about them. Very nice, now if they could just add my HAL Mariner points I will be Elite before you know it :D

HAL has their own loyalty program so you will miss out adding them to your Princess account

As far as i am aware Carnival stands on their own, however your P&O cruises will go toward your Princess loyalty points so join the Princess Captains Circle.

That was my understanding as well.:D

IMHO Princess have the best loyalty program of any that i have used :)

That would be a matter of opinion, IMO Celebrities program is better for me and also gets me perks on Royal.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

Carnival Corporation & plc - American-Panamanian passenger ship company, founded in 1972 - the world's largest cruise company, with almost 52% share of the market. Dual listed as Carnival Corp. (Doral-Miami FL, controlling the North America operations), and Carnival plc (Carnival UK for United Kingdom operations - the ex P&O Princess Cruises PLC, headquartered at Carnival House, Southampton, and Costa Cruises Group for the rest of Europe operations).

Combined fleet of 106 cruise passenger ships (including 10 on order), more than 160,000 berths, over 10,000 employees and 75,000 crew, US $37,7 billion in assets, and US $14,8 billion revenue (data 2011).

Owns 11 cruise brands (in brackets - the year of acquisition /establishment) -

AIDA (2000),

Carnival (1972),

Costa (2000),

Cunard (1998),

Holland America (1989),

Ibero (2007),

P&O and P&O Australia (2003),

Princess and Princess Australia(2003), and

Seabourn (1992).

The Carnival's major stock-holder is the company founder's Arison family (47%).

Edited by MicCanberra

Carnival Corporation & plc - American-Panamanian passenger ship company, founded in 1972 - the world's largest cruise company, with almost 52% share of the market. Dual listed as Carnival Corp. (Doral-Miami FL, controlling the North America operations), and Carnival plc (Carnival UK for United Kingdom operations - the ex P&O Princess Cruises PLC, headquartered at Carnival House, Southampton, and Costa Cruises Group for the rest of Europe operations).

Combined fleet of 106 cruise passenger ships (including 10 on order), more than 160,000 berths, over 10,000 employees and 75,000 crew, US $37,7 billion in assets, and US $14,8 billion revenue (data 2011).

AIDA (2000),

Carnival (1972),

Costa (2000),

Cunard (1998),

Holland America (1989),

Ibero (2007),

Seabourn (1992).

The Carnival's major stock-holder is the company founder's Arison family (47%).

Thanks Mic interesting read.

I did my first Princess cruise in November and started on their Loyalty Scheme at Ruby Level. My previous P&O and Carnival cruises must have been accepted by Princess, there's no other explanation.

Whats the ASX code for CCL ?

AIDA (2000),

Carnival (1972),

Costa (2000),

Cunard (1998),

Holland America (1989),

Ibero (2007),

Seabourn (1992).

What a tangled web

thanks for the info, be calling my stockbroker.

I did my first Princess cruise in November and started on their Loyalty Scheme at Ruby Level. My previous P&O and Carnival cruises must have been accepted by Princess, there's no other explanation.

P&O are counted towards your loyalty level with Princess, but I do not believe that Carnival are. Our Carnival cruise was not counted and I have never heard that they are.:)

I have often wondered how P&O and Princess would have been had they successfully merged with Royal Caribbean. I dare say in a better position.

Something happened around 2000 or 2001 when P&O ports separated from P&O cruises leaving the company on its own. It was a strong cruise line on its own merits but for some reason they were looking to merge with Royal Caribbean and then Carnival jumped in with a hostile take-over/merger and the story is what we know today.