Wine of the Day

little britain

The policy has not changed. Perhaps the interpretation of the policy on-board the ships has been left to the individual waitstaff or bar managers.

Recognizing this is not what you want to hear, but I would venture a guess that with the 'airing' of this individual interpretation things will tighten up. After all, we are not an all-inclusive line.

Here's what the website says:

"Our inclusive amenities feature select standard spirits, international beers, and a changing selection of one red and one white wine by the glass each day throughout your voyage.

To take advantage of this incredible treat, simply visit one of our ship bars or dining rooms and we're sure you'll find something to quench your thirst. Please note, the complimentary beverages listed below are not available for room service."

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/booked-guests/onboard-packages/complimentary-beverages

And of course we do sell wine by the glass, bottle or by the Wine Packages:

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/booked-guests/onboard-packages/beverage-packages

With the greatest respect Bonnie I think if this policy of substituting other wines from previous days were to change then many Azamara afficionados may vote with their feet. As has been said before, we are not consuming any more wine....just a different wine of the day. I once asked a HD how they knew which wine to order in which quantity and they said it was simple. Most people prefer the Merlot/Shiraz type in the Reds and Sauvignon Blanc in the Whites. Less people drink the Rose. They go with what they know from a lot of past experience. Nobody thinks you are an "all inclusive cruiseline" and we are aware of the wine packages on offer.

The issue is whether the crew onboard can continue to use their legendary customer relation skills in knowing what the customers want and value as part of the special Azamara experience. If Miami start micromanaging more than they already do then that will be lost....along with a fair few of devoted Azamara fans who are beginning to be discontented with some of the seeming cost savings, decline in food quality etc. You only have to look at some of the recent threads to see that a lot of Azamara fans are becoming uncomfortable with some of the perceived cost cutting. The price of an Azamara cruise is now usually higher than similar premium lines and fast approaching Silversea/Seabourn/Crystal prices. I don't think Silversea would tell us that we would have to drink a Portuguese Red if we preferred a Merlot from the previous night.....they would just go and get us a bottle... And an unopened one at that! Until now, the excellent waiters, bar servers and maitre d's on Azamara have also understood the importance of great customer service and do just that. Long may it continue.

Recognizing this is not what you want to hear, but I would venture a guess that with the 'airing' of this individual interpretation things will tighten up. After all, we are not an all-inclusive line.

We all know Azamara is not "all-inclusive." Frankly, I found that insulting to tell us. No one is asking for a wine that is not on the included list. We're asking for a wine that was "included" one or more days prior because the one you're offering today is not to our taste. Rather bad form to refuse this, I'd say.

I'd strongly urge decision-makers at Azamara to take Lottie's second paragraph above to heart, unless they really believe there's a more desirable set of clientele out there somewhere whom they'd prefer to have replace the existing loyal set. I'm serious about this. Enough is enough.

Edited by marinaro44

With the greatest respect Bonnie I think if this policy of substituting other wines from previous days were to change then many Azamara afficionados may vote with their feet. As has been said before, we are not consuming any more wine....just a different wine of the day. I once asked a HD how they knew which wine to order in which quantity and they said it was simple. Most people prefer the Merlot/Shiraz type in the Reds and Sauvignon Blanc in the Whites. Less people drink the Rose. They go with what they know from a lot of past experience. Nobody thinks you are an "all inclusive cruiseline" and we are aware of the wine packages on offer.

The issue is whether the crew onboard can continue to use their legendary customer relation skills in knowing what the customers want and value as part of the special Azamara experience. If Miami start micromanaging more than they already do then that will be lost....along with a fair few of devoted Azamara fans who are beginning to be discontented with some of the seeming cost savings, decline in food quality etc. You only have to look at some of the recent threads to see that a lot of Azamara fans are becoming uncomfortable with some of the perceived cost cutting. The price of an Azamara cruise is now usually higher than similar premium lines and fast approaching Silversea/Seabourn/Crystal prices. I don't think Silversea would tell us that we would have to drink a Portuguese Red if we preferred a Merlot from the previous night.....they would just go and get us a bottle... And an unopened one at that! Until now, the excellent waiters, bar servers and maitre d's on Azamara have also understood the importance of great customer service and do just that. Long may it continue.

I do not post often, but I need to second LottieA's comments. My wife has an allergy issue with wines that have been in oak. It really limits what she can enjoy. On our 3 past cruises there was no problem getting an alternative to any specific days wine for her. For me, it is not about the money - it is about being petty. Not offering a previous days wine would be petty beyond belief. I am going on the Journey at the end of February and if I encounter this "new" policy it will be a cause of significant irritation.

It is Azamara's game and they get to set the rules but if I was them I would think long and hard about stepping up enforcement of "the daily wine". What would be the benefit to Azamara? Whatever they imagine that benefit might be, that benefit would be totally overshadowed by the negatives.

Best,

Bruce

I am sorry Bonnie but on this occasion like many other posters I found your most recent response rather unsatisfactory.

It does not require a policy from Miami new or otherwise for a bar server to use their common sense and give a guest a substitute wine if they do not like the wine of the day, assuming of course that the substitute wine is on the included list.

It is these small touches which have been offered with a smile which enhances the Azamara experience and keeps us coming back.

I totally agree with you Lottie. The current system has been working just fine so far and customers are happy that they are able to get an alternative wine if the day's choice does not appeal. I can't see that Azamara has anything at all to gain from changing this but I do think they risk losing goodwill by refusing to allow the substitution.

I realize I'll be the minority voice or perhaps even the sole voice on this topic, but through 30+ Azamara cruises I've always understood that there is ONE white and ONE red each day, and that if I ask for a different wine from a previous day, if I'm lucky, the answer is "yes", but it might very well be "no". It never was a right, it never was a perk, it never was something that was marketed/sold, it was an extra that I highly appreciated. I therefore don't understand the sense of entitlement of the previous posters. I'll keep asking, be happy with a "yes", and respect a "no" for logistical reasons, or simply because the staff is too busy to run to another bar just to accommodate me.

I will be looking for a different wine one day so will report back. I am not asking for something off list. I cannot drink reds and certain whites as they give a reaction. Previously I have addressed this by drinking rose however the new Rose is sweeter and fizzy not to my taste.

Like the others I am sorry Bonnie but I am not drinking any more wine so I am unhappy with this change if I find it gives me an issue over the next 23 days.

Our experience on "non-all-inclusive" river cruises [AMA to be exact] has been the same as many have stated here as past Azamara practice: any wine of any day is available every day if you ask for it. On our last AMA cruise, in an effort to find a red that we really liked, they brought out a wine from a future day -- it was a hit and we got that every evening from then on. All the "wines of the day" are priced about the same, so the only extra expensive to the cruise line is the labor of fetching the odd bottles -- but Azamara touts its great staff ratio and customer-friendly policies, so it will be a sign of the slippery slope if the policy as applied is changing in this way. As I have said elsewhere, we're looking for a new favorite line because of the changes at Celebrity. If Azamara is going down that same cutback path, Azamara won't be it.

I will be looking for a different wine one day so will report back. I am not asking for something off list. I cannot drink reds and certain whites as they give a reaction. Previously I have addressed this by drinking rose however the new Rose is sweeter and fizzy not to my taste.

Like the others I am sorry Bonnie but I am not drinking any more wine so I am unhappy with this change if I find it gives me an issue over the next 23 days.

Aha! My friends also reported that the new rose, was sweet, fizzy and undrinkable, which is a shame as on my last few cruises I think I only drank the rose.

So, as I too cannot drink Chardonnay, and now it appears that you can only get opened left overs......if you are lucky (!); it seems I need to switch to G&Ts.

Firstworldproblems I know, but this is not what we are used to.

Sent from my iPad mini 4 using Tapatalk

I realize I'll be the minority voice or perhaps even the sole voice on this topic, but through 30+ Azamara cruises I've always understood that there is ONE white and ONE red each day, and that if I ask for a different wine from a previous day, if I'm lucky, the answer is "yes", but it might very well be "no". It never was a right, it never was a perk, it never was something that was marketed/sold, it was an extra that I highly appreciated. I therefore don't understand the sense of entitlement of the previous posters. I'll keep asking, be happy with a "yes", and respect a "no" for logistical reasons, or simply because the staff is too busy to run to another bar just to accommodate me.

Well said!

Aha! My friends also reported that the new rose, was sweet, fizzy and undrinkable, which is a shame as on my last few cruises I think I only drank the rose.

So, as I too cannot drink Chardonnay, and now it appears that you can only get opened left overs......if you are lucky (!); it seems I need to switch to G&Ts.

We can confirm that the new rosé wine (an Italian moscato) is exactly as described and definitely undrinkable. G&T would be OK if it wasn't for the tonic they usually serve.

I must say that I found Bonnies' second reply to be a bit tetchy but I get the gist of what she was saying.

I just hope that all the comments (some, I think, rather too assertive) made since her first response will not cause Azamara to revert to the letter of the policy rather than leaving it to interpretation on board, as has been the case. That would be a real shame.

Sometimes it is better not to tweak the lion's tail!

I also agree with you, in my opinion this is a can of worms that would have been better left alone

We have never been denied a request for a wine on the list when we have asked politely. Mind you, it doesn't happen very often and we are usually very happy to drink the wine of the day. With that said Azamara must recognize and respond to customers request for another wine if they have allergic reactions to specific types of wines. I really don't see why Azamara would want to go down that road and use some fine print to justify a downgraded service level.

I must tell a story about peanuts. I requested peanuts at the pool bar one afternoon and were told that the ship was out of peanuts and maybe they would get some the next day. Unlucky for the barman I ran into the food and beverage manager two minutes after and asked him: "So I hear that you have run out of peanuts,- bad planning?"

No need to say he got furious and returned five minutes after with a glass of peanuts, and with tight lips just said: "If you will excuse me, I have to go and fire somebody."

This shows that "some crew members" will actually lie at your face just to avoid going to the storage and give you some decent service.:mad:

Floris... There is no sense of entitlement on my part. I understand the policy perfectly well. We usually drink the wine of the day anyway....but the crew onboard know us well and they will go the extra mile to get us the wine we like best if the one on offer is not to our taste. We don't demand ...We ask politely and if it's possible then they do it with a smile.

That is part of what makes Azamara special and if it isn't going to be possible in the future ....well it may well be one cost cutting measure too many for some of us. The lovely thing about Azamara is they have in the past empowered their senior officers with the ability to make customer service decisions without the need to go back to Miami management for a decision. It is why the problem solving skills on Quest or Journey have such an immediate customer satisfaction result. I would be sad to see that autonomy go because then AZ will become just like all the other premium cruiselines.

We can confirm that the new rosé wine (an Italian moscato) is exactly as described and definitely undrinkable.

Seems strange that when taking the ship for the first time to one of the great wine producing countries of the world they start serving an undrinkable wine.;)

Edited by little britain

We can confirm that the new rosé wine (an Italian moscato) is exactly as described and definitely undrinkable. G&T would be OK if it wasn't for the tonic they usually serve.

That is great to hear, as I am a sweet wine lover & haven't been able to find anything that had fit the bill on my previous sailings with Azamara. They have listened to my feedback and am looking forward to trying it out in May on Quest.

Karyn

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Yesterday was Chardonnay day, which as I said I cannot drink. I asked for Pinot Grigio, the previous day's wine and at both lunch and dinner it was served without question (and at dinner a new bottle opened)

Now given Bonnies response I hope by posting here I am not getting someone in trouble but I am pleased to say this week on quest it seems normal service may have resumed. I won't of course be asking to deviate from the wine of the day until the Oaked Chardonnay returns so can give no more updates til Then.

PS. Two excellent MDR dinners as well!

Edited by uktog

Yesterday was Chardonnay day, which as I said I cannot drink. I asked for Pinot Grigio, the previous day's wine and at both lunch and dinner it was served without question (and at dinner a new bottle opened)

Now given Bonnies response I hope by posting here I am not getting someone in trouble but I am pleased to say this week on quest it seems normal service may have resumed. I won't of course be asking to deviate from the wine of the day until the Oaked Chardonnay returns so can give no more updates til Then.

Thank you for reassuring us Ann.

Have a wonderful cruise down under and Merry Christmas

Thanks for good news of two fronts! And yes, oaked Chardonnay is the pits [iMHO, YMMV]

Firstly, we agree about the Italian rose. My husband really like the previous Perequita rose, but could not drink the new one.

Regarding opened bottles of wine, not sure that I would describe an already opened bottle as undrinkable - depends when it was opened and how it's been kept - did it have a wine saver top in it, for example, or was it only opened an hour ago etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks, Ann. That sounds like the normal Azamara to me. :)

Firstly, we agree about the Italian rose. My husband really like the previous Perequita rose, but could not drink the new one.

Regarding opened bottles of wine, not sure that I would describe an already opened bottle as undrinkable - depends when it was opened and how it's been kept - did it have a wine saver top in it, for example, or was it only opened an hour ago etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The wines in question seem to be from prior days. IME, even the best-stored red isn't going to last more than a day or two. Whites have a better chance of survival for a few days.

I am hopeful that we will be able to select a wine if the daily offering doesn't appeal. I don't fancy the idea of switching to beer or hard liquor if there's a supply of the stuff that's included on the list that isn't being offered for some bureaucratic reason.