getting off ship at port

czexrus

For those ports, I wear a small cross body bag. I bring one credit card, cash I think I'll need for the day, leave my passport in the safe and carry a laminated copy of the information page of my passport. You'll need a government issued photo ID to reboard the ship. A drivers license is what most people use.

I like having a small purse for my reading glasses, a tissue, lipstick etc

Those are safe ports but, as always, be sure to practice usual common sense. Don't wear lots of jewelry and don't flash lots of cash.

Have fun.

Edited by sail7seas

What would you recommend for carrying wallet, passport, etc off of the ship at ports?

We never take passports off the ship unless required by local authorities. We believe that the chance of losing or having our passport stolen is far greater than any benefits of having it with us.

I take a travel wallet with me that goes under my shirt. I carry a drivers license, some cash and usually one credit card. In some ports I will also carry my wife's id whereas in other ports she will carry a crossover purse.

We do take water with us and my wife takes a small bag with first aid items.

Keith

What Sail7 said. I have at least 3 'day bags' of different sizes, from barely-more-than a wallet on a string, to an Eagle Creek guide bag. All have in common multiple pockets that I keep organized (things always go back where they came from). This will be my "purse" the whole trip, including through any airports, on the ship, and in port. That way things are always where they belong. (Other than passport, which as Sail said -- goes in the safe on the ship.)

In addition, I tend to carry a Thai monk bag (think hobo-slingbag in lightweight cotton, available direct from Thailand on eBay). They weigh almost nothing and expand to carry a LOT of shopping or the jacket you needed in the morning but not now, or a raincoat you might need later. For your ports -- it would be something to carry the ship's beach towel, sunscreen, bottle of water, etc.

PS: I bring only one of the wallet-bags with me on any trip! In case it sounded like I took my entire collection with me! The larger Eagle Creek would usually be for land-based trips where I might be carrying a guidebook or language/phrase book, or similar.

Pretty much what others have said we do.

DH takes a pack back that can hold water bottles and my camera. Also if we buy anything it can go into the back pack.

We take mostly ones and fives so that we do not get back a lot of the local money in change. You can get change at the front desk on the ship.SIZE]

Edited by Krazy Kruizers

Of course you'll want your ID with you (a DL is fine)....always have ID on your person!

I carry a small purse ashore, just like I do when I go anywhere! We've never needed a backpack....

We always leave the credit card attached to our shipboard account ON the ship...that way, if anything should happen ashore, our onboard account isn't compromised.

Also, inför your credit card companies where you're going, so they don't put a "fraud alert" on your line of credit!!!

One captain told us to always take ashore your passport number and city of issue, so that a new passport could be issued with less problems; we've always taken a laminated copy of that passport page ashore with us, and there's always been a reminder in the ship's paper or announcement of where a full passport has to be shown, such as Dubrovnik, Egypt etc.

I just found this nifty little belt that looks like it can't handle anything, but it sure does carry a lot. It's called a Spibelt and you can find different models on their website http://www.spibelt.com It fit my iPhone 6 plus, credit cards, cash and my inhaler. It fits very snugly under a shirt.

Looks a ta hard to access, when worn under a shirt.

What would you recommend for carrying wallet, passport, etc off of the ship at ports?

If you are going to the beach or on a water based excursion I would recommend taking your ship's card. A photo ID of some type, a credit card, and cash. Leave the wallet, and passport on the ship, you won't need them.

If you are not going to the beach but just shopping then a wallet or purse, just like at home, is fine, but still leave the passport on the ship. (BTW, in Key West there is certainly no need for a US citizen to take a passport ashore. You don't need it for anything there, even if you get left behind you are still in Florida.)

As far as all the precautions that people recommend, all I will say is that if you don't do those things when traveling by car in the US why would you do them at Key West? Cozumel is a little different but not much, and is certainly not known for pickpockets or purse snatching.

Edited by zqvol